Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mid Years check in...

Bob,

Sorry for not responding sooner...working on putting heat in my garage (one of those Reznor units that suspend from the ceiling).

Hey 67 Heaven, thanks for the compliments on those wheels. They are used and original 60's/70's time frame American Torque Thrusts. They are 15x6 and I bought these from the Wheel Place in San Jose, California. Sam Goodman is the owner. He was great to deal with. These wheels were made for Corvettes with caliper brakes as there is a definite notch for each "spoke". Sam cleaned up these used wheels (had a little oxyizing on the rim edge. These wheels don't have the ideal backspacing correct for a '65. They are 3 1/4" and should be at least 3 3/4 if not 4". I'm running stock steel wheels with 215x70R15 Michilin XOnes, but when I tried to stay with that tire size on these TT, I found with the change in back spacing the 215x70's were less then a baby finger's space at the rear fender lips. Had no issues in the front. So, to play it safe I went down to a 215x65R15 Pirelli P4000. She fills the wheel well pretty well and I have no issues in the front, turing lock to lock. Here's Sam's address and phone:

The Wheel Place
664 Stockton Avenue Unit D
San Jose, Ca., 95126

408-971-8966

Click on this site for a shot of the '5 after I put a big block hood on her (I like the look):

http://crimsonarmada.com/C2/6T5RUSH/P1.htm

Jim (6T5RUSH)

Mid year member

As the name implies I have 1966 red/red convetible 427. It is unusual in the fact that it is one of the 20 big block powerglides made in 66. Great crusin car.

Hi 67Heaven,

G"day and all that, I have been having the greatest time reading your threads and visting your home page. Its with great anticipation that some of us Downunder wait as you add piece by piece to that inspiring project that you are completing. And all i can say personally is that your doing the greatest job on the rebuild and mods.

And not to forget Tripleblack51,

G"Day to you too, Yes both my cars are black black and then more black. You guys are so lucky to be surrounded by so many great corvette events. A bunch of us joined the California Caravan to BowlingGreen for the 50th Aniversary. Got to see your great country and enjoy your kind and generous hospitality. Can't wait to get back and do a show circuit.

Cheers

66rag427 said:
As the name implies I have 1966 red/red convetible 427. It is unusual in the fact that it is one of the 20 big block powerglides made in 66. Great crusin car.

66rag427,

I'll bet that's a sweet cruiser. Maybe I should have a midyear BB auto 'vert too. :)

Welcome to :CAC

savette68/63 said:
Hi 67Heaven,

G"day and all that, I have been having the greatest time reading your threads and visting your home page. Its with great anticipation that some of us Downunder wait as you add piece by piece to that inspiring project that you are completing. And all i can say personally is that your doing the greatest job on the rebuild and mods.

And not to forget Tripleblack51,

G"Day to you too, Yes both my cars are black black and then more black. You guys are so lucky to be surrounded by so many great corvette events. A bunch of us joined the California Caravan to BowlingGreen for the 50th Aniversary. Got to see your great country and enjoy your kind and generous hospitality. Can't wait to get back and do a show circuit.

Cheers
Savette68/63,
We are lucky.
We were at Bowling green the last two years for the kick off party in June 2002 and the celebration in June '03.
While I was there this last year, I met a few guys from Australia with yellow corvette club t-shirts in front of the museum.
One fellow showed me a book he had of a green 1994 corvette coupe that he was selling back in Australia. If I remember correctly, he said he was asking 40K+ American.

I might have met you.

Nice to hear from you. My wife and I hope to visit your beautiful land someday soon. :w

Regards,

Pedro

Tripleblack, Thanks for starting a Midyear picture/info post for the chance to ask questions and compare what other Midyear owners have done with their Corvettes.

Tom Bryant, Thanks for the address. I will drop in, I'm down that way several times a month, and I will explain my problem in getting access to their products and lack of help, politely. I was told by the tire dealer that the AR rims shipped from Canada, but did not look for the address on their website. Tried contacting them thru their website for info and was told that they were remaking the "original TT" wheels and that they just started so the sizes and backspacing choices were limited at this time, but soon maybe. I also will inquire out about buying direct since I cant get a straight answer/help from the tire dealers here in Simi Valley and adjacent areas.

6T5RUSH, No problem as to a delay in responding, in some areas of the world a heated garage is a requirement not a luxury. Thanks for the wheel information, and the tire place that was interested in helping a customer, I really appreciate it. I wonder if Sam would remember if I call and ask if he has any extra info on the wheels, or another set. And as I said before, very nice Corvette!

67HEAVEN, I would like to get a chance to see your Corvette in person, before and after you are done, it would be a road trip. Glad you are sharing your fun with all of us, thanks for keeping a photographic scrapbook of your challenge. Are you still trying to please NCRS by searching for correct 1967 NOS horns?

bobmanx [B said:
67HEAVEN[/B], Are you still trying to please NCRS by searching for correct 1967 NOS horns?

;LOL Oh yes. I figure if I keep their attention focused on things like horns, dash, stainless trim, etc. they may not notice the slight change in body configuration, paint colour, and wheel, tire and engine size.

How many points off for this?
paint-under-700.jpg

Top Flight here I come.
:D

bobmanx said:
Tripleblack, Thanks for starting a Midyear picture/info post for the chance to ask questions and compare what other Midyear owners have done with their Corvettes.

Bob,

you're welcome, but it didn't start out that way.

Originally, I just wanted to know how many mid years were on this forum.
The thread seems to have evolved and taken on a life of it's own...
Pretty cool.

I'll humbly accept the thanks. (and any kickbacks) :gap

Best regards,
Pedro

I have a 65 red convertable...... Everyone needs at least one mid year!

Tripleblack51 said:
Originally, I just wanted to know how many mid years were on this forum.
The thread seems to have evolved and taken on a life of it's own...
Pretty cool.

I'll humbly accept the thanks. (and any kickbacks) :gap

Best regards,
Pedro

Pedro, what's the last count? Coupes vs convertible numbers? Great thread!!

rlm :cool :beer

bobmanx said:
Tom Bryant, Thanks for the address. I will drop in, I'm down that way several times a month, and I will explain my problem in getting access to their products and lack of help, politely. I was told by the tire dealer that the AR rims shipped from Canada, but did not look for the address on their website. Tried contacting them thru their website for info and was told that they were remaking the "original TT" wheels and that they just started so the sizes and backspacing choices were limited at this time, but soon maybe. I also will inquire out about buying direct since I cant get a straight answer/help from the tire dealers here in Simi Valley and adjacent areas.

QUOTE]

That's strange Bob.The web site says that the wheels are cast right there in so-cal. I wonder if that tire dealer is dealing with a middle man distributor out of Canada.

Tom, something is up, because two dealers made it a point to tell me the wheels were not returnable once they were shipped to them, they were mine wether tires were mounted on them or not. The price was about the same at two dealers, even without P/N they quoted $800 to $850 plus mounting, balance, stems, lugs, etc.... so maybe they've been mounting so many 20 to 24inch wheels that all they can think about is $$$$$. None of them, including the AR website could come up with a Torque Thrust P/N, application or clearance info for a midyear or a 67 Stock Corvette. Apparently all the wheel application charts from the 60's & 70's, as well as the people that sold wheels back then, were tossed, lost or pastured along time ago.

But on the bright side if you wan to put 24 inch "spinners" on your New Cadillac Escalade they will be happy to help find and mount the right wheels that will work right now, before you can take your checkbook/cash to another tire store. But a "old Corvette" they are not sure, dont know and dont care what is the difference between a 67 and a 82, wether it will bolt on or have other problems . So I guess the only way to find out whats "correct" will be to go to the AR Company and walk in and see if there is a Corvette person working there, and see if the factory can help. Thanks Tom and others, and I will find out where the Torque Thrust wheels are being mfg'd and let you know.

Bob
Still with a rock stock 67 Corvette Convert, it but could be worse!

Craig -1965 said:
I have a 65 red convertable...... Everyone needs at least one mid year!

Hey Craig,

I agree...at least one, maybe two, or three.

Welcome!!

Thanks for stopping by..

Pedro :w

Ron Miller said:
Pedro, what's the last count? Coupes vs convertible numbers? Great thread!!

You had to ask that question didn't you? :L

I haven't broken them down by coupes and roadsters, but so far I've got a total of 94 mid-years!!

Hey, we should organize "The great mid-year reunion"

:beer

Pedro

Tripleblack51 said:
I haven't broken them down by coupes and roadsters, but so far I've got a total of 94 mid-years!!

Hey, we should organize "The great mid-year reunion"

:beer

Pedro
Ninety-Four, Great! And "The great mid-year reunion" would be something to see!!!

6T5RUSH said:
Pedro,

My first post at this site...been a long timer at the Corvetteforum but started to look around. Pedro, I'm formally addressing you here but, it's obvious this applies to all you proud owners of, what I believe to be, a timeless classic Vette. Wow, what a nice group of midyears. I know you guys/gals as owners get a "high" just lookin' at 'em and certainly get a blood rush (that's me for sure) driven 'em. It's funny how these cars are like magnets to 10 year old kids on the street.

Couldn't help it. Had to jump into this frey 'cause this is where I belong!!

Hi Jim and welcome. :w

I just saw your post.

You're right about our midyears on all counts.
Yours is a beautiful car.
Are those the Pirelli P400s on your wheels? They look sharp.

Best regards,

Pedro :beer

Now we gotta compare vin's# to see which cars are Brothers! [kidding]

Hi Tripleblack51,

Yes I was in the bunch of Aussies wearing our Yellow Shirts with black logo. I believe our captains shirt raised quite a bit of money at the auction for the Museum. I was introduced to Tony from the museum and his lovely wive who gave us a private tour of the museum. We were also welcomed by the Museum Director at his house for a function. As i said before very hospitable the corvette community in the USA.

Once again Cheers

Purchased a 1967 convertible in late October 2003. Originally small block goodwood green w/ leather saddle interior. Now black w/ black leather interior and big block hood w/ red stinger (can't put 427 badgeing on it though). NOM, now Chevy V8 383 w/ Holley 650, Edelbrock, etc. Not dyno'd yet but should be about 415hp. It's a beast...can't wait for Spring!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom