Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

More bad news Now on my motor

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
So I have had a ls6 performance crate motor from the 90s sitting in my garage forever. This was the motor I planned on using in my 62. I dropped it off at a local motor builder to have it freshed up balanced and to knock the compresion ratio down.

Well finally he is now working on it, and he magnafluxed the block and said its no good.He said the motor will take a rebuild no problem,allthough its not needed will run when done.But he said it seems the block may of been in a building or a car fire and was quenched with water? (anybody ever hear of this)

All of the componets of the motor are fine except the block,he said some one was in it prior to him as its 30 over and it has been balanced because of the markings on the connecting rods and it looks as though there is no use on it what so ever.(I was told it was brand new with no miles from gm when I got it)

Anyways his recomendation is to put it back togther and sell it to someone with the understanding its has fissures,cracks and it should not be used in a racing aplacation) And for me to purchase a crate motor off the shelf,

he has blocks he can build me but with the block and the rebuild and reusing my heads and cam and crank. It would be cheaper to have a crate motor.
He re explained the motor will work but he feels it not for me

Anybody here of this with all these cracks? I cant think of any reason he would bs me.as he is suggesting me to purchase a motor else where?

The guy is strange but he knows his buisness. before I even brought the motor to him he recomended a crate motor.My wife suggested he may be tired of dealing with me after all of these years and doesnt want to anymore.

I have to see him next week so he can show me whats he is talking about (what am I supposed to be looking at?)

Man, Larry. You and Barry ought to start a club. I'm sorry to hear the latest bad news.

I've never heard of the fire/cold water thing, but it does seem to make sense. ;shrug

Get in that L-72, put the top down, and go for a long ride.

Larry.....Barry......hmmmmm ;)

Larry,

Sorry to hear of the latest setback. But at least you know about it now rather than after getting it installed.

One good option to consider for another engine would be to use one of the crate engines. It's nice to have a fresh engine with a warranty and it should save you some time vs. building one from scratch.

Rich Lagasse

As far as balancing goes what type of marks are on the rods and were at. Rods are machined at the small end to remove weight. A 454 is externally balnced so the weight should be on the fly wheel and balancer. Unless it was changed to internal which means the weights on the crank would have been drilled or have had mallory installed in them. Some guys will even weld a wing on the flange of the crank to get the weight correct. The 30 over part makes no sense if it was new but would explain why the rods have had weight removed. Were are the cracks located on the block? Boy this really stinks for you. Good luck!!

Larry Pugesek

www.pugesekmotorsports.com

Not sure were the cracks are.I have to look at it.

Want to here a real kicker.

My brother is out of town and has 3 german shepard.One is being boarded and the other 2 are at his home. they are not nice dogs but I have been around them there entire life.They are older dogs and the male dog is proffetionally trained for home security.My wife and I and my sister and her husband are sharing in the responcabilty of watching the dogs and the house.

This morning I go feed them,walk them,and play with them a while.The yard is fenced,the male dog wanted to stay out so I left him. I went back over to put him in the house and as soon as I closed the gate behind me he grabbed it with his teath and paw and off he went. Now remeber this is not a nice dog and does not belong loose.Now I am worried that I may have to shoot my brothers dog (whom he would probably give his life for he loves them so much) if a kid or a stranger comes along

He runs around the front of the house with me going as fast as I can and then he takes off again (the best I can do is a medum walk) anyways he stands next to my brothers car.I open the door and now he is in the car.I close the door and go get his leash and food. Dont you know the dog bit me 3 times in a matter of a secound between my wrist and elbow while I put the leash around his nech while he was sitting in the car.He gave me good enough warning not to mess with him,Growlling snapping and snarling but I had no choice and never thought he was fast enough to get me,or crazy enough to try (boy what a mistake that was he was much much faster then me and aparentyly crazyer) and he got my arm instead of my hand for some reason.

I dont think he has teath or he was trained not to hurt,My arm is bruised but no real breaks in the skin.

I left him in the car to calm down and for me to have a cigerette and relax my self. Remember this is a dog my brother absolutely loves. I try to tug him out of the car but he doesnt move and the leash will slip off if I just keep pulling.A little history on me I grew up with shepards,I am not afraid of dogs as a matter of fact most dogs are afraid of me, I have a 94 lbs shepard who looks like a puppy compaired to his dogs.This dog is big and mean

So now I have the leash on him,(but its not set as a choaker and I am not going to remove it and re-install it as a choaker) and the fat lard wont get out of the car.Finally he come out because I bribe him with food and he drags me to the front of the house by a basket ball and lays down every time I try to bring him to the house he trys to attac me. I called my sister and she explained the ball is his training toy and never should be out unless my brother is with him. She is going to send he husband up.DONT DO ANYTHING ELSE this is real bad and if he charges before her husband comes I should say ****** . (one of his comands to stop what he is doing)Well he did not charge me and I am just thinking I should do the world a favor and shoot the dog now. But my brother in law shows up and the dog gets up wagging his tail and all seems good. (I am on the end of a 20 leash a good 15 feet from the dog and he is just giving me dirty looks) My brother in laws is about 10 feet from the dog getting ready to pet him and get him in the house and the dog goes for him. I give the command and the dog drops to the floor still snarling and grwoling and wanting a peice of my brother in law.This guy knows the dog better then me.

To make a long story short we inticed him with a bowl of water and he walked over to it(I tieghten up the slack in the leash) and my brother in law exsteemly brave or stupid stole the dogs basket ball with out him knowing and the dog forgot all about it.He walked right up to me wagging his tail and we all went into the house.He laid down in the bathroom on the tile floor as if nothing happened.

we have to watch this beast untill the 10th,My brother has not been away for a while,And I dont want to tell him because i know he would be home tonight worried that the dogs is upset.

I brought his basketball to my house,resecured the gate on the fence,and I am hoping I can take care of the dog tonight with out showing fear.

all of this took about 2 to 3 hours on a day meant to work on my car

Talk about an exciting morning,I am still in shock over this and my arm is swelling a bit as I type. Ill speak to you guys latter I am going to have a good stiff drink (I havent drank in 15 years or so)

Bob

I wish I was making this one up, I still have to look after this thing till the 10th.

Barry is in a class of his own I dont think any one could compete with him. Me for sure dont want to.

This is never the norm for me. I always give more then I take.I am never mean,I always try and do good.I am just having some bad Karma.

The good news I was going to post about it tonight is I picked the 62 back up from the shop and it looks perfect,they actually re did my entire (excisting)trunk lid and I am returning the one I purchased to the supplier I purchased it from.

I see if I can take a picture of the beast tonight if i make it out of there

cracks

Hi Larry
Do you think you would be able to take a couple of pictures of the block where the cracks are? It would be nice to see where they are supposed to be
racingjunk.com is a free web site to join to buy parts. On that site there also is a forum where racers can ask other racers questions. You could sign up for free and ask about the cracks.
If you think the guy may be giving you the run around and don't know if he is telling you the truth, then when you go to see him and take the pics, you could also take that dog over with you. That may make him a little more honest
take care
Tom

Larry
I'm really sorry to hear about the troubles with your motor! :(
You know i'm not the one with any answers for you but I feel your pain.

maybe I need to leave the forum - my bad luck may be rubbing off on you now. ;LOL

That dog story is just outrageous. i've always had dogs and never had a problem with any dog I ever met. I've even been to other farms (grew up on one) where the dogs have reputations like your decribing and told by the owners to stay well away from them but all they do is come up to me and sniff and lick and look for some petting. As much as i truely love dogs (a lot more than than I like most people), if one ever bit me like that one did you today, I'd shoot it without thinking twice about it - and I HATE hurting animals.

67HEAVEN said:
Larry,

Are you sure you and Barry aren't making these stories up to top one another? ;LOL

Holy crap! :eek Nice doggie. :D

you know, I just got back in from Mark's body drop. on the way home this boulder came from nowhere onto the highway right towards me, hit the car, and pushed me off the road, over an embankment and into the river. As I was trying to get out of the car with my one good arm, a flash flood came roaring down and carried the car with me still inside a good 15 miles. Now, Mark's car is at a place very near the shore so at the end of the river it dumped into the Atlantic Ocean and we went out a ways until the coast guard came and picked me up. Next, as we were heading into shore we hit an iceberg and started taking on water so we had to put in life vests and jump for it. After the resue helicopter arrived and pulled us out of the water we were ALMOST to land when the chopper engine sucked in a bird and the engine stalled, forcing us to crash about 100 yards from land into 30 feet of water, just in front of an oncoming frieghter, which can't stop quickly but luckily we were able to get out of the chopper wreakage just in time before the ship plowed into it and we all swam the rest of the way to shore.
Typical for me and my luck, I bruised my little toe on a rock as we were getting onto shore!! :mad
Overall, a normal day......... ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

IH2LOSE said:
Barry is in a class of his own I dont think any one could compete with him. Me for sure dont want to.

:nono :nono
I'm not really that bad, really i'm not.
i'm just having a bad streak of luck over the last year or so is all. My wife is blaming it all on the car saying it's cursed and we may need to perform an exorcism on it ;LOL

Larry,

Man that sucks.

Clearly that car is jinxed. I think you should give it to me and star over with another one. I'll be home all day tomorrow so you can drop it off.:D

Bob

BarryK said:
Overall, a normal day......... ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL
You're killing me... no, wait... :ugh

Larry, you know I love dogs (the more people I meet, the more I appreciate my dog) so I hope you're not insulted when I say I think your brother is irresponsible in a couple of regards. First, for keeping/training dogs who can't be handled by someone else. Second (knowing his dogs are diffcult) for asking you to deal with the dogs rather than kenneling them.

Dogs are the responsibility of the owner. If my dog acted as your brother's dog has, she would be put down- period. No excuses.

-Mac

Larry,

I would never question the results of a magnaflux inspection. Especially since this guy was not trying to sell you anything. You will never see the cracks by eye more than likely. I would guess that the cracks are running from the main bearings up to the cam bearing area being a bigblock. This block may run forever in street car, but I would not want to take a chance! I agree with the reccomendation for a brand-new crate engine. You can't even begin to build strong, dependable engine for what youu can get a new one from GM for.
I don't know how engine building shops can make a living now days, there is only so much demand for high-end custom engines!

Regards, John McGraw

Larry....I value your opinoins...but I am afraid now to ever shake your hand...I am afraid that something might rub off of you onto me!!!

YIKES is all I can say between the motor and the dog....YIKESSSSSSSS

I would suggest going someplace and washing your hands really good, maybe you can get that bad luck washed off........

I wish you some good luck!!!! You certainly deserve it!!

Herb

Larry
You had a real bad day to say the least, I agree with Mac I too am a dog lover but If it were me I would kennel the dog until your brother returns.

firstgear said:
Larry....I value your opinoins...but I am afraid now to ever shake your hand...I am afraid that something might rub off of you onto me!!!

YIKES is all I can say between the motor and the dog....YIKESSSSSSSS

I would suggest going someplace and washing your hands really good, maybe you can get that bad luck washed off........

I wish you some good luck!!!! You certainly deserve it!!

Herb

Thanks guys

as for the dog.I was able to speak with my sister in law (my brothers wife)and she explained to me why this happened and as long as the ball is not around Ill have no more troubles.Remember I said eather my brother in law was real brave or exstreemley stupid.

Well it seems he is the one who brought the ball out yesterday thinking he would make the dog fhappy and when the dog got fresh yesterday he threw it off the deck into the front yard where the dog couldnt get it .He left the training/reward ball out and that what caused all of the trouble for me today .Thats why he escaped from the gate because he saw it from the fence. Thats why he sat by the car because he thougt he was going to the feild they train in.I just left the house for the night walk and the dog is nice as pie wagging his tail and licking me.Its like nothing happened

And yes my sister inlaw told me he still has teath and all he was doing was warning me that he was scared and fealt trapped in the car.

As for the motor I am just going to get a crate motor.I called the place I purchase my trucks from and he said they dont discount auto parts but will do an inventory search on his computer to see if a local dealer has some in stock at a cheaper price.His price was 6800.00 including tax and the shipping charge. I know I have seen them in jeggs and summit for less the 5000.00 so Ill have to see what there shipping charges are. I decided today its not worth the trouble of trying to use this motor for my car when I can get a motor tomorow (or what ever the shipping is)and not have to wait

Thanks Again every one

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom