Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Motor Rebuild Suggestions

G

Geek's 65

Going to rebuild my 65 non-numbers matching 327 into a SHP clone. (I know – crate motor. But the reason I bought the car in the first place was to have a project my son and I could wrench on so this is part of it) It will have the 461 alum intake, 2818-1 Holley, stock alum valve covers, stock 2½ inch exhaust manifold, etc. I am going to take advantage of newer head technology and use World Sportsman II 64cc with 200cc runner heads. Flat head pistons for around a 10.2:1 compression ratio to drive on pump gas. Right now I am looking at a Comp Factory Muscle cam ground like the L79 cam: 222/222 447/447 114LSA. There is another Comp version of this cam that is 229/236 468/462 112LSA. What I want is a solid street engine with some bone but not too much. (that kid wrenching with me wants to drive it too and I plan on letting him but in this world of automatic transmissions – he has an untrained clutch foot). What I need here are opinions. Am I going down a solid road? Totally screwed up. Better cam suggestions. Thanks for anything.

That sounds like a well thought out engine combination. The L79 is an all time favorite cam but it is 32 year old technology. The newer cam you list should work very well with your upgraded heads.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Appreciate your time and consideration on this.

Geek

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom