Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Upgrading my Roller rocker arms

If the car is recreational, why worry about 100,000 mi durability. If you drove the car 2000 pleasure miles a year it would take you 50 years to put 100K on it.

As for the Smog Check, that's an important issue because, with an 86, you're still in the program. I'm not sure, but I'm going to guess that California City is not in an area where the enhanced test is required. Am I right?

I can't tell your engine configuration will pass or fail, but I can say that camshafts with a lot of overlap and a rough idle are more likely to cause the engine to fail. This might be a problem for you because you want that rough idle.

My guess is that, to have a more aggressive camshaft yet still pass the smog check is going to require a high lift, short duration roller cam. You'll also need to keep your AIR pump and EGR.

My cam has very little valve over lap.

I dont want Nitro burnning Top Fuel type idel just went it's running it has a more Nastyer sound to it.

(One of my Buddies back In High School his Dad had a Top Fuel car it would make your eyes water when you stood next to it when it ran from the Nitro fumes thoses were the days)

My car sound stock now.

I going to try high lift RRA for now it should give it a louder deeper exhaust tone to it.

Like I said if one day I do a cam swap to a roller cam might as well a cam this time around more what I looking for.

If the car is recreational, why worry about 100,000 mi durability. If you drove the car 2000 pleasure miles a year it would take you 50 years to put 100K on it.

As for the Smog Check, that's an important issue because, with an 86, you're still in the program. I'm not sure, but I'm going to guess that California City is not in an area where the enhanced test is required. Am I right?

I can't tell your engine configuration will pass or fail, but I can say that camshafts with a lot of overlap and a rough idle are more likely to cause the engine to fail. This might be a problem for you because you want that rough idle.

My guess is that, to have a more aggressive camshaft yet still pass the smog check is going to require a high lift, short duration roller cam. You'll also need to keep your AIR pump and EGR.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom