Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My $450 million transmission

S

Silverman

Came across this link: talks about the new 6 speed Auto that's being installed in my silver C6 that's being built in a few weeks. I'm sooooooo excited to get this car. Bad knee prevents a manual and I was underwhelmed when I drove the 4 sp auto. but a 6 speed auto with sequential shifting is what many folks have waited for. Race car performace without a manual tranny places the Vette with true exotic company. Less than 1% of the trannys sold in the US have 6speeds, according to this article. Anybody know who else offers a 6 speed sequential auto transmission? GM claims a 7% improvement in acceleration and also mentions an improvememt in fuel economy, which number I don't remember. A bit nervous about being among the first to have this new technology. Hope they have it debugged!

Silverman :w
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/news/article.jsp?content=b102673A

Silverman said:
Came across this link: talks about the new 6 speed Auto that's being installed in my silver C6 that's being built in a few weeks. I'm sooooooo excited to get this car. Bad knee prevents a manual and I was underwhelmed when I drove the 4 sp auto. but a 6 speed auto with sequential shifting is what many folks have waited for. Race car performace without a manual tranny places the Vette with true exotic company. Less than 1% of the trannys sold in the US have 6speeds, according to this article. Anybody know who else offers a 6 speed sequential auto transmission? GM claims a 7% improvement in acceleration and also mentions an improvememt in fuel economy, which number I don't remember. A bit nervous about being among the first to have this new technology. Hope they have it debugged!

Audi does.

Silverman said:

the 7% is over the 4 speed auto with the std 2.73 rear gear not with the 4 speed auto with the 3.15 rear gear.

My 2005 Mazda6 has a 6-speed AT with manual mode. It works great. It's made by Aisin.

So far I am really enjoying that 6-speed automatic. Love the
new steering wheel and seeing what gear the transmission is
in on the heads up display. The Vette has only 70 miles on it,
so I haven't really driven it hard, but I will tell you 1st gear is
really low. It feels like you could pull stumps with it!

TK53 said:
So far I am really enjoying that 6-speed automatic. Love the
new steering wheel and seeing what gear the transmission is
in on the heads up display. The Vette has only 70 miles on it,
so I haven't really driven it hard, but I will tell you 1st gear is
really low. It feels like you could pull stumps with it!

Wow! You are the first person I know who has this 6 speed. I haven't even seen any magazine blurbs. Did you order the car or was it on a dealers lot? Maybe after a few more miles you can share some of the operating characteristics? Does it hold a gear until redline?
Does it downshift by itself when slowing down for a stop sign? When you plant that right foot does it downshift by itself?

Details, details!

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bought it off of the showroom floor. I was ordering one, but decided to
go look at this one just for fun, and after seeing the price, getting
a decent dollar for my trades, it was mine. Pretty much what I wanted
to order, except for the competiton gray wheels, but everyone likes them
on the red Vette. In the paddle shift mode, you are in control of the
shifts, and when you stop, you have to manually shift down to first.
Normally drops to 2nd. You downshift and upshift as desired, but if
you do something stupid, you get a big X, meaning not allowed. But
from a dead stop and shifting about 4500 rpm, you need to be aware
of your speed, over the limit quickly.
Of course, after 30 used Corvettes, this is my first brand new one, and
it is fantastic! Total enjoyment!

TK53 said:
Bought it off of the showroom floor. I was ordering one, but decided to
go look at this one just for fun, and after seeing the price, getting
a decent dollar for my trades, it was mine. Pretty much what I wanted
to order, except for the competiton gray wheels, but everyone likes them
on the red Vette. In the paddle shift mode, you are in control of the
shifts, and when you stop, you have to manually shift down to first.
Normally drops to 2nd. You downshift and upshift as desired, but if
you do something stupid, you get a big X, meaning not allowed. But
from a dead stop and shifting about 4500 rpm, you need to be aware
of your speed, over the limit quickly.
Of course, after 30 used Corvettes, this is my first brand new one, and
it is fantastic! Total enjoyment!

Thanks for your reply. I'm more than a bit jealous, but very happy for you. It must feel great to have such a history with these cars and finally get a brand new one. Especially a car (the C6 Sequential) that is so clearly the most sophisticated Corvette ever. (C6 ZO6...love ya, but no Sequential Auto) I very much would like to hear your comments when you've got some more miles on your car. Oh, I also like the gray wheels. I thought for the $1200 for polished rims from the factory, I could find nice aftermarket wheels if I don't like the gray wheels on the Silver car. Think I'll call my Dealer and check the status of my order.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom