Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My Cam Shaft Lobe Masters are done!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter 4cefed
  • Start date Start date

4cefed

Aaron told me this morning the re-shaped lobe masters have been completed and delivered to the cam company doing my LT5 cams. The re-ground cam profile on the cam should be better than the one we were trying to use which was an old (30 years) profile design. This one is more specific to the ZR1 and should work well with the 415 cid motor Aaron is building for me.

The cam I wanted was the Lingenfelter 239 duration 445 lift cam. These cams seem to run really well with the big cubic inch LT5's. The ones I am going to get are 237 duration and 450 lift. Real close to what I wanted.

Thanks to Aaron who went out on a limb and has been busting his rear to get these done. Thanks Aaron, without you doing what you did we ZR1 nuts would have very limited cam shaft options. Thanks!

So in about a week or two we should know if they are going to work. Everybody keep your fingers crossed that this version will work. Larger cam shafts are really hard to come by and if this design works there will be modified LT5 cams available for years to come. This is good news to anyone who wants to do a bigger cubic inch motor. My search for the camshafts I wanted has taken roughly 21 months. I wanted something very similar to the Lingenfelter cam and it looks like we might be near the end of the road. "Oh please merciful God, please let these be the ones!!" I need a speed fix soon or I will need to go to the rubber room.
:crazy ;)

I meant to post this in the ZR1 section. Mods Can you help me here?

21 months for your camshafts search!!! Its a wonder the men in the white van haven't already come for you.
OK, my fingers are crossed ;)

about wanting to move this to the ZR1 section: Just pm Rob or one of the mods and they'll help you move it.

Here ya go Joel ;)

Hope it works for you.

Can't wait to see some numbers on your beast once the motor is done.

Good luck!

Aaron knows a lot about lt5's, and he will get the job done. I'll talk about your cams tomorrow while Im there. That will probably be the same cams I will put in my 415! Goodluck!

YEA BABY!!!!.. we are on the same boat. I'm doing a 408, which should be done two months after Joels 415 gets done!!!....
Joel, so when do you think you'll hit the dyno?
I KNOW these are going to be the ones.
BTW, my very best friend just got a modded 01 GTS Viper.. 440 rwhp.. I'll keep him away with the Z06 on spray, until he sprays it.. then I'll need my Zr-1.. I love the viper.. after geting out of it, and in the Z06, is like getting out of Batmans Car and getting in Barbys.... the Zr-1 is is a different animal... Although that snake is sweet! Awesome looking.. whith HRE's and all....
Only two cars get my blood boiling.. a 400 plus cid Z-r1 and a GTS...
Julio

We are due a break on those camshafts Julio. I think this is going to do it. I think it will hit the dyno in two weeks.

Joel, I know we've been down this road before, so it is hard to get excited. But I'm EXCITED!!!.. I see light at the end of this very long and dark tunnel... I SEE LIGHT!! Brother

Man,I sure hope so. I've been waiting to see how those new cams turn out too,in case Aaron gets ahold of my engine.

Joel, good luck buddy! That's gonna be one bbbbad machine ;worship

BCZR-1 said:
Joel, good luck buddy! That's gonna be one bbbbad machine ;worship

Congrats Joel - bring on the dyno numbers!!!!

:birth <-- Maybe a little early, but still, blow out the candles, and make a wish for 550rwhp!!

I was just wondering. How come you couldnt get the Lingenfelter cams. And if no more are availabvle, wouldnt he release the specs??

Lingenfelter' cam source, for one reason or another, stopped making his cams in the Summer of 2001. I entered the picture when they were attempting to re-source the cams in August 2001. I believe they had some in stock but the only way you were getting those cams were if you sent the car up there and he did the 415 as well (my opinion because they told me they didn't have any available).

Lingenfelter may have helped design that cam but I believe the design belongs the the original cam source as do the lobe masters. He certainly had to have some type of exclusive agreement with them.

When Lingenfelter told me they we not going to make these cams available Aaron entered the picture to purchase his (Lingenfelter) remaining Bay City Motor cores. Thes cores were totally non machined. Aaron was suppose to get the cam drawings as well but Lingenfelter told him they couldn't remember which source had the drawings and they weren't returned. Later, Lingenfelter' shop found them but only three of the four. I believe Billy K. copied the drawings for Aaron.

As far as the specs, Aaron has been working with Graham Behan @ Lingenfelter, among others, on this new cam lobe. Aaron and the cam company are designing it and Graham is aware of the specs and told me himself that these cams should be slightly better than the 239/445 cams they were offering in the first place. BTW, Lingenfelter has cams on order with Aaron. I guess he went to Aaron because he bought all of his cam cores.
It's been a long and hard road for Aaron to work the kinks out of a first run production model but I have every confidence that when the car leaves the shop it will be good to go.
Hope that answred your question. The facts may vary slightly as some of this was second hand information.
Joel

65ZR1 said:
I was just wondering. How come you couldnt get the Lingenfelter cams. And if no more are availabvle, wouldnt he release the specs??

I can't wait to se what those cams do for you Joel.
I ordered those very same cams from Aaron for my car.
The car will be A bit choppy,but it should make some H/p.

May the H/P be with you :_rock

Gotta love the chop. A car with a smooth idle just doesn't seem to have personality to me. The smell of race gas, loud exhaust, and the whole car shaking like hell..........ooohhhhh yeahhhhhhh!:D

BERTZR1, tell us about your car.

BERTZR1 said:
I can't wait to se what those cams do for you Joel.
I ordered those very same cams from Aaron for my car.
The car will be A bit choppy,but it should make some H/p.

May the H/P be with you :_rock

Joel, last year One of the lifters shattered seized the exhaust cam
on the drivers side, Sheered the cam bolt.The motor had to come
out. I figured since the motor is out why not p/p the heads.
There's some pics of the lifter,valves,and the cam on the
corvetteforum.You should check them out.
Then later in the year the rear end took A crap.Limey had A brand
new one on hand,he was going to use that one for the 3.90 set up.
After the heads where done The car made 412 SAE.
While I was talking to Aaron I told him About the car,I think he
was impressed.What i'm trying to do is maximize the S/B then
I'll move to bigger cubes.That's why I want the cams,then
later when I go displacement I'll have one less thing to worry
about.

:beer

That sounds like a Plan. What size cams are you going with?.. Aaron ha a couple of different profiles

julio,the ones I chose are 237 duration and 450 lift on all four
lobes. The car should see some good #'s

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom