Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help with Starter Problem

S

SwaveDave

Guest
I replaced my original starter with a Magnum Mini Starter. I am very certain i have it wired correctly as i noted the wires when i removed them. The problem i am having is, when i turn the key (or, hot start at the starter), i get one click and can see the starter shaft coming out and engaging the flywheel teeth nicely. But, it doesnt turn the flywheel - if i keep it energized for a few seconds, the big wire from the battery and big black ground wire to the chasis...gets hot. So does this sound like the Starter is trying to turn over the engine but cant ? (I do have higher than stock compr. ratio - it is now at 11-1). Any comments?

Thanks, Dave.
 
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
946
Location
Scottsville, Kentucky
Corvette
08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe
Hmmmmmmmmm, sounds like the starter is trying alright,but can't muster enough umpfff to spin the motor. One thing comes to mind. Did your starter come with a shim plate? I've seen several chevy motors that need the starter shim installed to increase the clearence slightly between the teeth. This allows for proper full engagement of the gear and reduces binding. Secondly are all your electrical connections clean and tight? and is the ground wire in good condition? 11:1 is a tad stiff for a stock starter.

Dale
 
S

SwaveDave

Guest
DDL-81 said:
Hmmmmmmmmm, sounds like the starter is trying alright,but can't muster enough umpfff to spin the motor. One thing comes to mind. Did your starter come with a shim plate? I've seen several chevy motors that need the starter shim installed to increase the clearence slightly between the teeth. This allows for proper full engagement of the gear and reduces binding. Secondly are all your electrical connections clean and tight? and is the ground wire in good condition? 11:1 is a tad stiff for a stock starter.

Dale
[/QUOTE

RESPONSE:

All connections are super clean. I got em real shiney. I tried the shims, but it works beter without them. I will recheck the wiring. Thanks, Dave.
 

Tom Bryant

Well-known member
Administrator
Joined
Nov 9, 2000
Messages
7,253
Location
Edgerton, Ohio, United States
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
Starter

Dave
Have you tried to run the starter off of the engine? I usually clamp it in the vice and jump it to make sure it will run. Also you could unbolt it from the engine and connect a jumper from the starter to ground on the car and then try the key. If it kicks in and runs maybe it isn't strong enough for the engine. I can't imagine that though.
Can you turn the starter armature? Might be binding somehow or even wrong parts put together.

Oh, your engine will turn won't it? Let me know what you find out.
Tom
 

Yoda

Well-known member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 12, 2000
Messages
4,884
Location
Amarillo, TX
Corvette
1981 UL5
Re: Starter

59Tom said:
Dave
Can you turn the starter armature? Might be binding somehow or even wrong parts put together. .Oh, your engine will turn won't it? Let me know what you find out.
Tom

Tom that was my first thoughts too ;) Does the starter turn the engine over? I see you have an M21,have you tried to push start using second gear? Run the engine for a bit then try the starter again? I may be just putting more smoke in the air, but sometimes something stupid and simple works too :J
BudD
:w
 
S

SwaveDave

Guest
Re: Starter

59Tom said:
Dave
Have you tried to run the starter off of the engine? I usually clamp it in the vice and jump it to make sure it will run. Also you could unbolt it from the engine and connect a jumper from the starter to ground on the car and then try the key. If it kicks in and runs maybe it isn't strong enough for the engine. I can't imagine that though.
Can you turn the starter armature? Might be binding somehow or even wrong parts put together.

Oh, your engine will turn won't it? Let me know what you find out.
Tom

RESPONSE:

Tom... No, the engine wont turn over . I took the Starter off the engine but left the wires hooked up , and it makes a click but the armature does not turn - it only pops out. I can turn the armature teeth by hand though. Im starting (no pun intended) to think that i have a defective new mini starter.
Any final thoughts before i send it back ???? Thanks, Dave
 

Tom Bryant

Well-known member
Administrator
Joined
Nov 9, 2000
Messages
7,253
Location
Edgerton, Ohio, United States
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
starter

Dave,
That is what I suspected. If you had it grounded when off the engine and it wouldn't run I think it is time to send it back. The teeth are on the starter drive which is a clutch. It will turn without turning the armature shaft. When the armature turns the clutch locks and engages the flywheel teeth. There could be a screw or something come loose and is jambing the armature but it looks like you are due a replacement. You could always take it apart and find the problem but being a new part you shouldn't have to. I would just get it replaced. Be sure to bench test the replacement before installation.

Tom

[Edited by 59Tom on 03-06-2001 at 10:56 AM]
 
S

SwaveDave

Guest
Re: starter

59Tom said:
Dave,
That is what I suspected. If you had it grounded when off the engine and it wouldn't run I think it is time to send it back. The teeth are on the starter drive which is a clutch. It will turn without turning the armature shaft. When the armature turns the clutch locks and engages the flywheel teeth. There could be a screw or something come loose and is jambing the armature but it looks like you are due a replacement. You could always take it apart and find the problem but being a new part you shouldn't have to. I would just get it replaced. Be sure to bench test the replacement before installation.

Tom

[Edited by 59Tom on 03-06-2001 at 10:56 AM]


RESPONSE:

Thanks Tom and others, for your input. I just ordered a very high torque racing mini starter from Summit - will give that a try on the bench before i install it.

Regards, SwaveDave
 

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom