Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need picture of brake/clutch pedal assy 1963-66

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
I'm specifically looking for closeups of the bracket that holds the brake pedal rubber bumper stop and brake light switch. That bracket is slightly mangled on my 66 and I need to see how it sits and bends on the pedal assembly. That will determine if I can repair it or need to replace it.

I will get you a picture of mine tonight. Do you have any of the vendor catologs ? they normally have a nice diagram showing these sub assemblies.

Awesome, thanks. Zip is the only catalog I don't have.

Here are a few pics of the bracket you are looking for. Normally it sits at a 90 degree angle, and is spot welded in two places. Over the years with pedal pressure, it slowly pulls away at the 90 degree joint. My fix is to tack weld the joint "check pic two, near the top " ( weather it's needed or not ) in order to stop any further bending of the tab.

Stepinwolf

tab1.JPG

tab2.JPG

Those are perfect, Wolf, thanks!!! But my brake switch definitely does NOT look like yours. Is that an upgrade or is it the correct switch? Doi you have a photo showing the top side so I can see what the clutch switch looks like? Many thanks inadvance,

Cheers,

Islander

Islander said:
Those are perfect, Wolf, thanks!!! But my brake switch definitely does NOT look like yours. Is that an upgrade or is it the correct switch? Doi you have a photo showing the top side so I can see what the clutch switch looks like? Many thanks inadvance,

Cheers,

Islander

The reason my brake switch look's different then yours, is because it has additional terminals to hook up the " cruise control " I am planning on installing. It is sold by Ron Francis www.ronfrancis.com for about 15$.

Here are a few pictures of the clutch pedal switch. To install one, there is no need for any additional metal work. All I did was to drill a hole in the presently installed, bumper bracket, and placed the old brake switch in the hole. As previously recommended, I have since ordered a quantity of relays, and will be using one to hook up this switch.

In order to use a switch on your clutch pedal, you will have to have a little metal bracket ( see pic # 3 ) welded to the small bracket attached to your clutch pedal. However it is not difficult to remove, nor is it expensive to have the weld done.

switch1.JPG

switch2.JPG

pedal1.JPG

stepinwolf said:
The reason my brake switch look's different then yours, is because it has additional terminals to hook up the " cruise control " I am planning on installing.

I've never had the nerve to switch on cruise control at 160mph. :gap

67HEAVEN said:
I've never had the nerve to switch on cruise control at 160mph. :gap

It's real easy Bob, all you have to do is not look at the speedometer, what you can't see, won't hurt you. :crazy

Or I think that how it goes,,, :Silly

Stepinwolf

The reason my brake switch look's different then yours, is because it has additional terminals to hook up the " cruise control " I am planning on installing.

I remember now, same for the ignition/clutch switch. I'll be doing both as well and based on your pictures I can tell I won't need to replace the brake switch bracket, just do some straightening out and tack-weld in place per your advice. I'll even add the bracket for the clutch switch - I need to freshen up my welding skills. Many thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Wolf,

Would you happen to have a picture of the assembly with the brake pedal in it? I need to see where the pedal hits the bumper/switch, looks like that bracket is misaligned by about a 3/16", either that or I have the wrong brake pedal....

Cheers,

Islander

Islander said:
Wolf,

Would you happen to have a picture of the assembly with the brake pedal in it? I need to see where the pedal hits the bumper/switch, looks like that bracket is misaligned by about a 3/16", either that or I have the wrong brake pedal....

Cheers,

Islander

The pedals have been removed, in order to have them chrome plated. Hoewever if you need a few pics of the bracket without the pedal in place, I can take a few shots and e-them to you

Stepinwolf

Here's my problem: the bracket on mine has been "bubba'ed". It has been welded at the 90 degree angle and the edge of the part that is not welded to the assembly (the one that has the round hole) is only about 1/8" away from the wall of the assembly. That means when the brake pedal is depressed it almost misses the rubber bumper and misses the brake light switch alltogether. Looks like they welded it too close to the assembly wall. Can you measure the gap between the wall and the bracket?

Looks like I'll have to cut this one off, grind off the welded piece and weld in a new bracket.

Islander said:
Here's my problem: the bracket on mine has been "bubba'ed". It has been welded at the 90 degree angle and the edge of the part that is not welded to the assembly (the one that has the round hole) is only about 1/8" away from the wall of the assembly. That means when the brake pedal is depressed it almost misses the rubber bumper and misses the brake light switch alltogether. Looks like they welded it too close to the assembly wall. Can you measure the gap between the wall and the bracket?

Looks like I'll have to cut this one off, grind off the welded piece and weld in a new bracket.

The bracket on mine has never been removed, so I would expect it would be in the correct position. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, but I will supply you with the measurements. Your section that is 1/8" from the walll should be 1/4" total distance. I also measured the wall where the bracket is welded, to the center of the switch, and the distance is exactly 1 3/16".

Another issue might be the small brace that is normally found on the brake pedal. Check picture three for it's placement. I have seen car in the past without this little piece, and it then is more difficult for the narrow shaft of the pedal to come in contact with the switch.

brakeb1.JPG

brakeb2.JPG

brace.JPG

That's perfect, Robert! Many thanks. I'll have to reposition the switch bracket and I do have the little brace - now I know where it goes! But even with the brace on it still misses the switch. I think I can just add some metal to one piece of the bracket after I cut it out and reweld it back after I grind some crap out of there. If not, I'll just get another bracket.

Cheers,

Islander

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom