Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new c6 owner mad at dealer

Hi Mark and welcome. I too would be P.O.ed.

They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing. I have learned over the years to NEVER trust anyone at a car dealership. I have been bitten in the past and now I always check, right there on the lot, that the job was done, it was done right, no missing parts, not dents or dings, and the car/truck is clean. Just the way I left it with them. One time I open the hood of my truck after it was serviced and found the dipstick missing. Showed the service manager that the dipstick was missing. He asked the meck who changed the oil, young punk kid with an attitude, where the dipstick was and he stated it came in missing. Told him no, it was there this morning when I checked the oil. So the service manager tells me there is nothing he can do and i will have to buy a new dipstick. Told him we will see about that. So I got the dealership manager,who is a close friend of mine and I've bought 4 new trucks from him, and told him the deal. Long story short, the kid mech and taken my dipstick and had given it to a friend who had lost his. Kid got fired and i got a new dipstick and the service manager was told that he too will be looking for a job next time something like this happened. Now-a-days you just can no longer trust folks at a car dealership.

Go to the dealership manager and get him involved. These guys are hired to run the entire dealership and it is there head if the dealership gets a bad rapp. That is if it is a dealership worth doing business with. Second, since the Corvette is one of GMs flagship car models, I think GM will take action to make sure that the customer is happy.

H.D.

mark Rosokoff said:
I just purchased a new c6 with the z51 package from a GM dealer in pompano Fla. The car had exactly 4050 miles on it,because it was the managers car.When I purchased it,I demanded a new oil change(being brand new to me)and they took my car to service and brought it back to me in 10 minutes saying they had done the oil change! One week later I went to another dealership(because the one I purchased the car from wasn't aGM performance center)to pick up a GM performance cat. and they showed me my oil was one quart low and black!!! They said that the other dealer just reset my computer and LIED to about changing the oil! Mind you this is one GM dealer telling me the other GM dealer is Full of B.S. !!!!Anyhow I went straight back to the 1st dealer (the that sold me the car and did the supposed oil change) and showed them the black oil and told them what the other GM dealer said about them!!

I'm a little confused here.

I own a 1990 ZR-1 with 29,000+ miles on it. I do all the oil changes on the car since I've owned it with 179 miles on it.

I average about 4,000-5,000 miles per year of various driving conditions - some dusty, some not so dusty. I exercise the engine every chance I get which includes running at short bursts in WOT up to 6,000 RPM to shift. I've gone on long drives running at 4,000-5,000 rpms at 145 mph on a track.

I've changed my oil at intervals of anywhere from 3,000 to 7,000 miles and I have never once pulled oil out of the car that was black. It may have been just a bit darker coming out than it was going in from the bottle, but you could still easily see through it if poured in a glass.

You have a 2005 C6 Corvette with 4,050 miles on it, and you're pulling oil out of it that is black?

mark Rosokoff said:
I next checked the tripometer (I cleared it the day before when I dropped my car off) and saw it said 168.4 miles on it!!!!!They had changed the oil this time and then proceeded to put 168.4 miles driving around!!! ( probaly beating the Shi%&# out of it) You can't TRUST the dealer you bought your car from! and when you catch them,,,, they get even with you!!!When I got home,I had a message on my answering machine from their Customer Relations Manager begging forgiveness and pleading for me to give them another chance;they really want my bussiness!!
They put 168.4 miles on the car??

This doesn't make sense either. Even if a dealer was doing chassis/suspension work on your car and needed to test systems, their work, whatever, they wouldn't need to drive the car around that much. A GM dealer usually does not make it a policy to drive a customer's car around for free. They may take it to the next door sub shob to pick up lunch, but 168.4 miles is a hell of a lot of driving to do in one day in a customer's car.

Some people could say: "well maybe they used it to run parts to various locations": even if they did, 168.4 miles is a hell of a lot of mileage, and, most GM dealerships have their own specific vehicles with dealership logos, etc., set aside for parts running.

Not a whole lot would surprise be about dealerships that is for sure! This is one horror story and there are thousands out there! Hard to find any one in the dealerships that really gives a rats a_ _ anymore; in light of this story and others that I have heard I will be camped out at the dealership with my C-5 until they get done if I even take mine in. For the most part I will do my own work as much as I can; but there are cetain things that I can't do becasue of equipment and etc. The mechanic getting fired would definently not be enough for me!!! Maybe if I could beat him about the head and neck area may help!

Sorry to hear about your problems with these b_ _ _ _ _ _s, really sucks I know and I would get full satisfaction or wear them out everyday. . . . .:mad
Good luck for sure!

Bill :w

First of all congratulations on the new car purchase and welcome to CAC! The dealer you bought the car from sounds like a real piece of work and I would under no condition ever go back there for anything!:mad

2000C-5 Black Coupe Owner said:
Not a whole lot would surprise be about dealerships that is for sure! This is one horror story and there are thousands out there! Hard to find any one in the dealerships that really gives a rats a_ _ anymore; in light of this story and others that I have heard I will be camped out at the dealership with my C-5 until they get done if I even take mine in. For the most part I will do my own work as much as I can; but there are cetain things that I can't do becasue of equipment and etc. The mechanic getting fired would definently not be enough for me!!! Maybe if I could beat him about the head and neck area may help!

Sorry to hear about your problems with these b_ _ _ _ _ _s, really sucks I know and I would get full satisfaction or wear them out everyday. . . . .:mad
Good luck for sure!

I don't start servicing my own vehicles until they are out of warranty. I know it is a PITA to have to deal with the dealership, but if something happens I don't want them to denie a warranty claim. I know that you can service your own vehicle and still keep your warranty providing you keep receipts. But why risk all of the hassel if something should happen. Since they, the dealership, have done ALL of the servicing since day one, they have (or should have) ALL of the service records. I have a notebook where I keep all of my receipts and it has paid off more then once. With the cost of repairing these cars/trucks today you had better be able to document that service was done at the recommended time or else you can kiss your warranty goodby.

I too stay right there with the car/truck, or at least where I can see it, when it is in for servicing. If I have to leave it for something else I tell the service manager to NOT take my car/truck on the road unless there is a reason for it. such as a test drive. I also tell them that since they are not buying the tires for my vehicles, no spinning tires in the parking lot. My last set of tires for the Z-06 was right ~$1400.00.

H.D.

I'd go to the owner of the dealer and explain the situation. The situation is that he needs to give you a BRAND NEW C6, or you will take said information and go to GM, the BBB, and your local news station.

Not all dealers are bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen and think about it forgetting the salesman, most service shops do a fine job as part of the dealerships. This is where they make real money, but you pay for what you get and within the shops there are talented mechanic's.

When ever you drop off a vette it's your duty to fully explain your problem and then ask who is the most qualified vette mechanic they have and you will wait for that person to work on your vette.

What l would do is have the service advisor introduce himself to you and then slip him a $20. That is the mechanic and it would not hurt to slip the service advisor a $20 also. I would give the service advisor a $50 and it will come back to you in spades.

I would normally dump on the dealership but in all fairness it's wrong.

Alan

srthom13 said:
You know those 168 miles were real hard ones. I wonder what those first 4000 miles were like.

I used to work down the street from a bunch of car dealerships. We often saw many cars that had the tan "DL" dealer tags on them. Those cars were driven to HD to pick up lumber, gravel, dirt, whatever they wouldn't put in their own cars.

One time I was behind a Porsche Boxster. Light turns green and he just guns it like he stole it. Didn't matter, wasn't his car.

What I'm saying is that dealer cars are driven like they're stolen. They don't care about the cars because they'll sell the car before those signs of abuse come up. Then it's stuck on the unsuspecting buyer.

Wow

Gee, Mark, that's quite the horror story. A lot of folks here have provided some good suggestions and advice. Here's mine: Create a timeline documenting exactly what's in your thread. Go back to the GMPP dealership (#2) that advised you the oil was low and black. Get a signed statement indicating same. Get hold of the GM Regional Rep, fax him your timeline and statement regarding dealership #1. Get their take on the matter-might take a couple of days.

Then, make a decision. I like the idea of the 7/70K extended warranty, all fresh fluids and a complete check-over by another dealership (#2?).

I definitely have a problem with someone putting 168 miles on MY car. WTF?

And, here's another point that one person brought up-if they are doing this to a C6, what happens to the Malibu's, etc.? This dealership has some 'splaining to do...but don't get in their face-let GM do it. Personally, I would FREAK out on these guys and be in trouble, so, step off, take a breath, and let some other folks in on the charade. Good luck to you.

Oh-welcome to CAC! Please-keep us informed...

Rick

Alan,

With all due respect; if I have to bribe a service advisor and mechanic to do a good job and pay the high prices too I feel your at the wrong place!

I am also convience even if I was to do this it is not going to make them necessarily better qualified or care anymore. Their job is to take care of their customers and a bribe or maybe even call it a tip should not be even considered! Most if not all of the time you are at their mercy anyway and have to believe what they tell you until you in fact have reason to believe otherwise. This is the time that I will never deal with them again and all the tips and or bribes in the world is not going to change that. This would to me be like rewarding someone for doing a better job and what they really get paid to do to start with. . . . .

This is the way I personally look at it. There are some good mechanics out there somewhere but I am not going to personally give them bribes or tips and pay the high prices of a dealership too!

This is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Have a wonderful day,

Bill

kingman said:
Listen and think about it forgetting the salesman, most service shops do a fine job as part of the dealerships. What l would do is have the service advisor introduce himself to you and then slip him a $20. That is the mechanic and it would not hurt to slip the service advisor a $20 also. I would give the service advisor a $50 and it will come back to you in spades.

Alan

You can report them to GM all you want but my feeling is that GM won't do anything about it. GM will just give you the "each dealership is independently run" speil. At least that's what happened recently...

kingman said:
Listen and think about it forgetting the salesman, most service shops do a fine job as part of the dealerships. This is where they make real money, but you pay for what you get and within the shops there are talented mechanic's.

When ever you drop off a vette it's your duty to fully explain your problem and then ask who is the most qualified vette mechanic they have and you will wait for that person to work on your vette.

What l would do is have the service advisor introduce himself to you and then slip him a $20. That is the mechanic and it would not hurt to slip the service advisor a $20 also. I would give the service advisor a $50 and it will come back to you in spades.

Alan

I don't tip. Ever since the dipstick incident that service advisor and i have become good friends. When I take my truck in for service he always listens to me, is willing to help, and has the truck ready when he says it will be ready.

You are right about good mechanics. When I have a problem with my truck ('03 3500 Dodge with the Cummins) there is one young guy there that is super when it comes to problem solving the engine. Very knowledgeable on the Cummins and isn't afraid to say "I don't know but I'll findout". I always ask for him and I've told the general manager that if they ever lose him I'll go where his is working to have my truck worked on. He has been employee of the month several times. The young punk that stole the dipstick found out that lieing and stealing doesn't pay.

Since I've only owned the Z-06 for 4 months, I now have to find a good corvette dealer to take it to for servicing. Even if it means driving 100 miles to find one.

Since i don't tip, every year at Christmas I by the guys a keg of beer for their Christmas party to show my appreciation of how they treat me. It works.

H.D.

:beer Now I might do the keg of beer thing too if I could help them drink it. This then would be a gift that would keep on giving. . . . . . at least for that night. I'll tell you this being an x-lisensed mechanic myself, and a damn good one at one time if I do say so myself, good ones are very hard to find! I did my best without any bribes or tips because to me it was my reputation, that was one of the few things I owned that you could't put a price on becasue it wasn't for sell!

Lator Gator,

2000C-5 Black Coupe Owner said:
:beer Now I might do the keg of beer thing too if I could help them drink it. This then would be a gift that would keep on giving. . . . . . at least for that night. I'll tell you this being an x-lisensed mechanic myself, and a damn good one at one time if I do say so myself, good ones are very hard to find! I did my best without any bribes or tips because to me it was my reputation, that was one of the few things I owned that you could't put a price on becasue it wasn't for sell!

Lator Gator,

I hear you. I too take a lot of pride in what I do. In my profession its not only my reputation i have to defend but my license as well. cheers:beer .

H.D.

I'm a little confused here.

I own a 1990 ZR-1 with 29,000+ miles on it. I do all the oil changes on the car since I've owned it with 179 miles on it.

I average about 4,000-5,000 miles per year of various driving conditions - some dusty, some not so dusty. I exercise the engine every chance I get which includes running at short bursts in WOT up to 6,000 RPM to shift. I've gone on long drives running at 4,000-5,000 rpms at 145 mph on a track.

I've changed my oil at intervals of anywhere from 3,000 to 7,000 miles and I have never once pulled oil out of the car that was black. It may have been just a bit darker coming out than it was going in from the bottle, but you could still easily see through it if poured in a glass.

You have a 2005 C6 Corvette with 4,050 miles on it, and you're pulling oil out of it that is black?

I am with Rob here. Thunder´s 383 has about 18K on it and the Mobile 1 that comes out of it every 3500 miles looks just the same as it did when I put it in and it has never been as much as 1/2 pint low. I send a sample of every oil change to the lab and they always come back negitive.

I drive like a maniac on the Autopista and put Thunder on the track several times a year which means that my life depends on things being done right so I either do the work myself or watch over the shoulder of the person doing it. (Since I left the Marine Corps I haven’t met anyone with whom I trust my life.) Here in Euro-land your warranty is void if the in-warranty service is not preformed by an authorized agent so we only buy from dealers who are willing to let us watch their service personal. If you are unwilling to do your own service you should at least watch it being done…or buy an Impala and don’t worry.

You can report them to GM all you want but my feeling is that GM won't do anything about it. GM will just give you the "each dealership is independently run" speil. At least that's what happened recently...
Do not expect to get anything out of GM and forget about getting a new car. If you can intimidate the dealer into giving you an extended warranty be happy.

4000 miles, 40,000 miles, or 400,000 miles once a car is driven it is a used car and there is nothing you can do to change the way it was driven before you bought it. Luckily GM builds really good small blocks and regardless of how stupid the dealer drove the car the lump under the hood is probably in good shape.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't driving your car 168 Mi. without your knowledge or permission still known as Grand Theft Auto, regardless of whether they returned it?

No more chances with that dealer!

Ever hear of a restaurant that you say the meal is bad and they take it back to the kitchen? What do you think they do before they return the meal the second time ? Just guess!!!!

I would NOT return to that dealer. Take it to another dealer. Start the discussion with the sales person who sold you the car and work up from there. Get a settlement and NEVER NEVER return.

ENJOY THE RIDE of the NEW C6!

MOVE ON...
-Bill.;)

Right on brother I hear ya! If you loose your reputation what do you have left! I really appreicate a rightious mechanic who protects it all! When you work on a car, or paint it you sign it just like any other artist :BOW is what I always say!

Anyone that abused or put that kind of miles on my car or even stole my dip stick is a dip stick and they can stick it :argue where the sun don't shine!

Heavy Duty said:
I hear you. I too take a lot of pride in what I do. In my profession its not only my reputation i have to defend but my license as well. cheers:beer .

H.D.

SPANISHVETTS said:
Do not expect to get anything out of GM and forget about getting a new car. If you can intimate the dealer into giving you an extended warranty be happy.

Spanish,

I was the one who you quoted. It was a reference to the thread where the C5 was dropped off the lift.

Personally, even though dealerships are independently run, GM should still look out for the bigger interest of the corporation as a whole. When something like this happens, it doesn't just affect one dealership, it affects the whole name.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom