Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Member with a Question on Adjustable Shocks in a '91

Raz53

Corvette
'91 Quasar Blue 6-speed
Hi guys:w, I just ran across this forum a few days ago and decided it would be a good place to learn some. I've owned several Vettes over the years, but recently bought a '91 speed with the Z07 and FX3 options (Adjustable Suspension Package & Electronic Selective Ride & Handling Package).

A couple of things. First, I've learned from some of the tech information on this forum that this particular setup was designed to run on the track or whatever. The second thing I've learned is this is the roughest riding vette I've ever owned.

Now for the question. I don't race the car. I'm an easy driver. I'd also like to improve the ride. I've been told the Bilsteins are leaking and should be rebuilt or replaced. Before I spend the $$$ on this I'd like to know if this will improve the ride - not the handling. Is there a way to replace the Bilsteins without doing so iwth the electronic adjustable setup, and make my ride a little smoother?

Thanks.

Raz

You can replace the shocks with non-adjustable, many members have done this. But that in itself won't make the ride softer. The Z07 suspension package included heavy duty springs, stabilizers and bushings (along with the FX3 shocks, the J55 heavy duty brakes and an oil cooler). As you said it was designed primarily for racing where a smooth ride isn't a concern. If you try to replace the HD suspension components you'll not only spend a lot of cash you'll destroy the value of the car. There were only 733 Z07s built in 1991 so the car is relatively rare. If you really don't like the ride you might want to consider selling the car and buying base suspension model.

If you want a softer ride, you bought the wrong car and I'm being quite serious when I say that. My suggestion would be to sell it and look for a newer C4, perferably a 94 or a 95 without Z07 but with FX3 or a 96 with RTD.

You can soften the ride of that car by replacing the springs, stabilizer bars and front lower control arms with base model parts. Just chaging shocks will not have much impact but changing those springs will!

Now...the price of that advice is your old springs.
:)

Thanks guys. That's really what I thought, but it was worth asking. I appreciate the info.

Raz

Maybe not the most soft ride you'll have in a Corvette, But to tell you the truth I just spent over 12 hours in my 94 Z07 coming back from Cleveland, and though it is a really "firm ride", it is not a backbreaker. I love the firm ride and surefootedness of my Z07.

Oh, and welcome to CAC. Sounds like you got a neat car.

Pictures.....we need pictures! We love looking at other Corvettes.

The best solution in your case is to send your Bilstein shocks back to Bilstien for a rebuild. Tell them you want a soft comfortable ride and they'll valve them so you think you're driving a Lexus.

They've done street shocks for me as well as track shocks. It's hard to believe the difference. They can build you a great shock that's really nice on the street.

Unabashed Plug - I have a whole chapter on this suspension in my C4 book.

Richard Newton

101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996

Ultimate Garage Handbook

If you want a softer ride, you bought the wrong car and I'm being quite serious when I say that. My suggestion would be to sell it and look for a newer C4, perferably a 94 or a 95 without Z07 but with FX3 or a 96 with RTD.

You can soften the ride of that car by replacing the springs, stabilizer bars and front lower control arms with base model parts. Just chaging shocks will not have much impact but changing those springs will!

Now...the price of that advice is your old springs.
:)

"The best solution in your case is to send your Bilstein shocks back to Bilstien for a rebuild. Tell them you want a soft comfortable ride and they'll valve them so you think you're driving a Lexus.

They've done street shocks for me as well as track shocks. It's hard to believe the difference. They can build you a great shock that's really nice on the street."

Unabashed Plug - I have a whole chapter on this suspension in my C4 book.

Richard Newton

101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996

Ultimate Garage Handbook

This could lead to a very interesting discussion.

Yeah, let me see if I can do that.

1991_Corvette.jpg

That's a little bigger than necessary, but gives you an idea of the look.

Thanks, I'm going to call them tomorrow morning.

Let me ask another question. Right now, the electronic switch that let's me go from Touring to Sport to Performance doesn't make any difference in the ride or handling. I notice when I turn the switch on along with all the other monitoring lights, there's one that says "Service Ride Control", but it goes off along with everything else. My question is, if there was a problem with the actuator for the selective ride control, would I get some warning light?

That's OK, just let me learn something while it goes on.

Thanks, I'm going to call them tomorrow morning.

Let me ask another question. Right now, the electronic switch that let's me go from Touring to Sport to Performance doesn't make any difference in the ride or handling. I notice when I turn the switch on along with all the other monitoring lights, there's one that says "Service Ride Control", but it goes off along with everything else. My question is, if there was a problem with the actuator for the selective ride control, would I get some warning light?

A lot depends on the type of driving you do. In every day driving you won't notice too much difference in the ride (unless you travel the pot-hole infested highways of New Jersey). The three settings actually overlap, that is, at 60 mph "touring" is actually firmer than "sport" at 30 mph. I forget where they all cross over but there was a very good write up about the FX3 in "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine a few months ago.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom