Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New member with questions

Robertk

Hello all, I am new to the forum, owned many Vettes in the past and now considering buying another, I currently own a Gen 1 Viper that I love but I want to sell it and purchase a C2 Corvette, never owned a C1 or C2... Looking for a nice clean driver quality C2... or C1, doesn't have to be #s match and would consider 4 speed or auto, I was determined to get power steering however and I just got a response from eBay that said the C2 doesn't need it, I see most don't have power steering, is this important, is there a big difference, I am athletic/in shape, I was at a car show last week and watched a guy trying to manage his Corvette around with some difficulty and I heard him say "no power steering" will my wife be able to drive the car without power steering? is there anything I should be looking at when searching for a C2 or C1 if the right one comes up, appears more C1s in my price range, thanks in advance

Welcome aboard! :w My 64 didn't have PS back in the day (45 years ago). I don't remember that it was a big deal, but I was 20 years old then. I guess my suggestion would be; Go out and drive one and see how it is.

Oh, I am going to move this thread to C1-C2 general to get a more appropriate audience for your question.

Welcome aboard! :w My 64 didn't have PS back in the day (45 years ago). I don't remember that it was a big deal, but I was 20 years old then. I guess my suggestion would be; Go out and drive one and see how it is.

Oh, I am going to move this thread to C1-C2 general to get a more appropriate audience for your question.

Thank you... I'm gonna go drive a non P.S. car this weekend, not too worried about me but would like my wife to drive it now and then as well, were buying her another C5 shortly as well but she would want to drive this as well, never had a C1 or C2 so not sure what to expect, have had plenty of old cars. I'm all over the board right now with a Vette, C1 vs C2, 4 speed vs auto, all original vs custom but I'm having fun shopping at the moment, will know when the right one comes up

Purchased my '64 Coupe when I was 22 years old.No power steering possible because of its high performance engine, 327/365hp.

50 years later it has been completely restored.
My first few drives were a bit uncomfortable having become accustomed to power steering these many years.
However, it didn't take long to re-acclimate to manual steering. I now find it fairly easy, and prefer it on the highway.

Tip: moving,even slightly, makes the steering much easier.

I never had a C2 with power steering. The small block is easier to steer than a big block and likewise with narrower tires. There are a lot of C2 cars out there with power steering so if you're concerned about the wife not being comfortable with manual just keep looking.

Welcome to the CAC

Tom

thanks all... just purchased a 63 white vert, frame off restored matching numbers car... now just have to get it shipped

Please post some photos when you get them. I had a friend back in '63 that bought a new white convertible.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom