Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Memeber needs help

bkeaton947

Hi gang. My name is Bobby Keaton. My son and I just bought a 1977 Corvette and am hoping to bring it back to life. At this time we have removed the seats and most interior carpet. When we got it there were no doors panels at all. The door handles do not work and need repaired. It has power windows but not sure they work. Haven't hooked a battery up yet. We are basically having to redo everything. I want to take and have the frame blasted or scrubbed to get the rust off and then any areas fixed. Any suggestion would be helpful. Attached is a picture of the car. Believe it or not I was looking for a riding lawnmower and bought this instead. Paid $1000 for her. Now hoping you fine people and friend scan help us restore her.

Thanks for listening and reading.

BJ 1977 Vette.jpg

Welcome to the group.

I'd recommend buying a manual as your first purchase. They aren't inexpensive, but you'll find it well worth the expense.

manual

Thank you. We bought a manual at the Ocean City classic car show. It is helpful. Hopefully we can comprehend what we have to do.

I'd recommend buying a manual as your first purchase. They aren't inexpensive, but you'll find it well worth the expense.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the CAC. Looks like you've got a good place to start. I think I would leave the custom touches in place, as it could become expensive to redo the headlights and the rear bumper cover. The lights remind me of my '72 which I customized back in the 80s. Have fun with the project.th_P5050008.jpg

Welcome to Corvette Action Center and Congratulations

Hello Bobby Keaton first let me welcome you to the group, secondly do you want to double your money I would maybe be interested, I would say probably the best $1k you ever spent :happyanim: Looks like a lot and lot and more and more work and not sure if I would have the energy anymore to tackle a project like this but for no more than you gave for it you can afford to bring back life into this classic. Good luck and you shouldn't have any problem getting help on Corvette Action Center, it just doesn't come any better than this. Pictures along the way would be :cool!:

-Bill

Thanks

Hey Bill
Thanks for the note. I agree, this may be t he best $1000 I ever spent. My son and I have already purchased about $1000 in parts. We got a new gas tank, sender, bezel bad gas lid, door parts, back window parts and front windshield parts. I figure as I read about repairs I buy parts. Hopefully this will come together.
Look forward to talking to you all the vette owners. Pictures will be added.

PDo you go by Bob, Bobby, or Robert? Sounds like your going about it right. . . . . and you and your son working together on it is the awesome part of it all! I retired what will be 2 years this December and planned my "to do list" and one and the biggest project I wanted to do when I retired was to completely restore body off frame restoration and took the last few years searching for one, found from a 71 that was supposed to be a 1972, or some that was so chopped up and modified for racing, wheel wells chopped out all gone, tubbed for slicks, dash gone, no interior whatsoever, nothing left that was Corvette, pretty well the likeness of the body was all that was left, about like a funny car body kit, that to bring it back to original was going to cost a fortune and they wanted a small fortune for it to ones that were trailer queens and way, way out of my price range. I wanted a decent 1972 LT1, last year for the chrome bumpers front and year 350CI/350HP, didn't even have to have fuel injecting but would have been cool for sure. Anyway time went on and before I realized it this was never to be, of course age set in, along with that sometimes health issues, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's which killed the #2 dream/plan an Indian Motor cycle; hey don't get me wrong I am not whining there are a lot of people out there that has things worse than I do, I can still drive my Corvette and it's a 6-speed stick, just can't go as far without stopping now, hey I really do feel blessed, I have standing orders from the wife (who thinks she is in charge) and my Neurologist (who also thinks he is in charge) says without a doubt I will never be able to hold one up and that may be and I know that it would be tough too but if someone called me with a good deal on a gently used Indian Chief I would have to think seriously about it, might buy it just to wipe on and keep my Corvette company (yeah right?) in the shop, of course it would have to be black. In saying all this taking on the restoration you have started should be really special for you and your son, enjoy every second of it, the real things and important things in life is FREE and hard to impossible to put a price on it, I waited too long, time flies, things happen and before you know it you have to change your plans you've made or forget it all together and some of this is in just your mind, but very real too! Then again dreams keep us going, make us what we are so hang in there it will be a time in both your's and your son's lives that will be absolutely priceless. . . . . GET 'R DONE!!!

Good luck and look forward in following your progress :thumb I appreciate most of what I've done in my years and probably wouldn't change much if anything, sure wanted that nice cherry 72 LT-1 but for reasons unbeknown it was not to be. I had a 1963 Split Window Coupe once too but that is a whole other story that I do not care to relive!!! I wake up every morning feeling really blessed and appreciative to the GOOD LORD for what he has let me do and still get to do just maybe another way that we all find!! Hey if you come across a bargain on an Indian Chief let me know; will ya?

When you get this Vette back on the highways and by ways of this great land which one of you is going to house or have custody of ;shrug this classic; know yet or will it just be joint custody? Remember most of the fun is in the journey ;worship or can/should be. Yeah; yeah right; but I think if you look back it's true; remember the song "The Dance" sang by Garth Brooks?

This will be my last novel!!!!!

By,

-Bill

Last edited:
Old Age

I know what you are saying Bill. I had a widow maker on Friday the 13th, February of 1998. My son was born June of 97, my Dad died November 97, my father-in-law had a nervous break down in January 98 and I had a heart attack on Friday the 13th, 98. Crazy how life happens. I was 39 when it happened. There was nothing in my arteries. It was all stress. I did civil design engineering. Stress was every day. Caught up to me. I left engineering in August of that year to teach drafting and engineering ib Baltimore public high school. Nuts huh? I have been coaching since I was 16. It was a natural fit for me. I am still friends with over 200 kids I taught. I have been to weddings, baby showers, ball games, you name it and I have been there to share with my students. I left teaching to help my wife with her small business. It has worked out because I have got to spend a lot of time with my son.

Now my son and I get to rebuild a classic car that just so happens to be the year I graduated high school. Fun stuff. My son is an eager learner and is just now being taught forging and welding. Bright kid. Hopefully we can decipher the manual and rebuild this little beauty.

Thanks for the kind words. Go easy Bill. Remember, keep smiling. Makes people wonder what we are up to.

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!!!!

Welcome aboard. :w Sounds like a great father-son project. A drafting teacher in high sschool? I just retired from teaching high school drafting and cabinetmaking. It's a very rewarding career as you pointed out. Enjoy the car and the time you get to spend with your son fixing it up!:thumb

Welcome to the :CAC

Have FUN with your project.

Before you put too many labour hours or dollars into the car, make sure it's structurally sound particularly the birdcage that forms the windshield frame, door support posts and sills. C3 Corvettes are notorious for rotting out in this area while looking pristine from the outside.

Welcome! It is good idea to buy a 1977 assembly manual.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom