Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new owner and i have some questions

That's what I meant!!!:beer

Actually, I don't mean rotated - just that the front right wheel should be on the left front.

Savvy, Kimo Sabe???:upthumbs

I say front, you say back. That's why all the girls like me!!:W:boogie

If you take either one of the tires off and look at the back side of the rim it will tell exactly were the wheel goes:L

That's what I meant!!!:beer

Actually, I don't mean rotated - just that the front right wheel should be on the left front.

Savvy, Kimo Sabe???:upthumbs

:BDH Do you mean passenger when you say "right"? The driver's is the "left" and the passenger side is the "right".

I figure you know that! :D

The wheels have cutouts that are supposed to face only one way.
According to the General, the openings help to dispel any heat from the brakes.

No, I do not have any empirical data to share with you! :rotfl

SAVE THE :w

Congratulations on your Vette and Welcome to the group. Don't forget to wave to other Vettes you pass, it's a long standing tradition.

Just put your transmission in the Overdrive D and go. It won't shift to OD until the speed is right for it. As for the weather stripping, if it doesn't leak, replacing it should be optional. It's expensive, so how full is your wallet? The sending unit for the gas guage should not cost that much to replace. I had it done on a 96 and they first thought they had to remove the gas tank, so the estimate was very high, however, they can get to it through the filler area on top and behind the rear license plate. It wound up easy to do.

Use only premium fuel.

You should be able to replace the window switch yourself if that is the problem. It might just be a loose wire.

Oooooo!!! That's a purty car!!! Congrats! Great year too!!! As to your question...
I'm thinking that's probably crude you drove thru. Just get it off quickly--always. Those sawblades have a clear coat on them and they'll stain. And don't use that spray-on wheel cleaner unless you're right there with a wet rag and the hose running to get it off-one wheel at a time. Don't ever spray that stuff on and walk off. It'll peel the clear coat.

Mike!!!
If I'm not mistaken, I think your right, rear wheel is for the other side.

Hi Mike,

That is a great looking ride... But couldn't you find one in RED.:L

For $1500 I will fly to NY, replace the sender, clean the crap off of your wheels, sort the wheels out and get them on the correct corners, take you to lunch and give you $$$ change.:upthumbs

But I could not take advantage on a new Vetter. The Sender unit cost less than $400. from Delco. Order one here. It takes about an hour to change it.

Pull all 4 wheels off and give them a good cleaning with mild detergent and a pressure washer. Do not use brake cleaner or one of the canned wheel cleaners or you will destroy the Clear Coat. While the wheels are off you can clean up the suspension and brakes, check the pads and disk, lube the ball joints and generally get to know the underside of the beast.

Then sort out the front/rear and Left/right wheels and make sure that they have the right tires mounted in the right direction. On this side of the pond I have seen several Vettes with the wide wheels on the front and tires mounted in the wrong direction.

And as many others have said; get the service books. You can always find a set on eBay for >$100.

Of course if you still want to throw $$$ at a mechanic I am available until the 3rd week of June.;)

Also, I have a question. Not being a C4 owner, aren't your front wheels supposed to match the rear? It looks to me like they're reversed(front right s/b front left).
Now returning to C4 owner's input...:upthumbs

Nice catch, I missed it the first time around. Not all 93 (I believe 93 was first year for this) + had different sized wheels (front -back). Mine had all 9.5", but it does have the Z07 "Performance Handling Package" and I think that in 96 those with the Z51 suspension had all 9.5 as well.

ok, well yes i do know that the back wheels are on the wrong side and thats from the previous owner just put new tires on it back in november and he didnt notice it right away, and i havent change them yet because ive been busy finishing finals and filling out college paper work, and because well not to many people notice it :L, as for the crude on the wheel, it took a lot of scrubbing but it came off nicely and now the wheels look like the pictures again, im guess i just drove threw something but i still dont know how it just go on the back wheels?

Be sure to be aware of the area in front of your A/C condenser. Very easy to pick up plastic bags, leaves, twigs, McDonald's wrappers, gum etc. Ask me how I know! :L

If you see your coolant temp inching upwards, good chance there is something covering the A/C condenser.

These Vettes are so low to the ground, you can pick up virtually anything.

Also, avoid driving in the right lane next to the curb. You would not believe the rock chips you end up with on the rocker panel. Again, ask me how I know! ;LOL

That sure is one beautiful Vette! :upthumbs

yea, I found that out when i firsted washed the car, I kept pulling leaves out from there, but thanks for the heads up i didnt realize this car picks stuff up so easly i just thought that the leaves just blew up there by accident.

ok, well yes i do know that the back wheels are on the wrong side and thats from the previous owner just put new tires on it back in november and he didnt notice it right away, and i havent change them yet because ive been busy finishing finals and filling out college paper work, and because well not to many people notice it :L, as for the crude on the wheel, it took a lot of scrubbing but it came off nicely and now the wheels look like the pictures again, im guess i just drove threw something but i still dont know how it just go on the back wheels?

These guys don't miss ANYTHING! :L

That really is a GORGEOUS car! Congrats.

Bill

Actually, John, the right rear should be on the left side of the car. Up until 93, the wheel size front & rear was 17x9. In 1994 they went with a 17x9.5 for the rear and 17x8.5 for the front. So 1994 and up tires cannot be rotated.

I believe the '93's had different sizes for front and rear, (to make it easier to steer) this was changed to same size in '94. According to the "Black Book'. Then they may have gone back to different sizing again, in '95 or '96. :w

I believe the '93's had different sizes for front and rear, (to make it easier to steer) this was changed to same size in '94. According to the "Black Book'. Then they may have gone back to different sizing again, in '95 or '96. :w

No, the 94's in standard trim had different size front to back. They actually changed to that configuration in 93 and it carried through to the end of the C4 run. My source is Cor-Vette Specs 1984-1996 by Michael Antonick. And I know for a fact that a couple of guys with 94's have the 8.5"s in the front and the 9.5" in the rear. Standard size tires in 94 were 255/45 x 17 front and 285/40 x 17 rear. A 255 is too small to to put on a 9.5" wheel. (source= page 216 of the above book)

toms 94,

I just wanted to point out that the '93's had different size front & back, so they can't be rotated either. This probably carried over to '94, and then I think they went back to same size in another year(I would have to check the book)

’93 to ’96 base LT1’s, different wheel sizes front to rear... unless you throw in the Z07 option. Then you were graced with fattys all the way around. Z07 option was dropped in ’96. Z51 was still offered (same tire size) and F45 RTD made it’s debut.

mikeman, that’s a beautiful ’93, enjoy it!

B17Crew
:w

’93 to ’96 base LT1’s, different wheel sizes front to rear... unless you throw in the Z07 option. Then you were graced with fattys all the way around. Z07 option was dropped in ’96. Z51 was still offered (same tire size) and F45 RTD made it’s debut.

mikeman, that’s a beautiful ’93, enjoy it!

B17Crew
:w

Yup, B17Crew has it right.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom