Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New tire choices

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
The CE needs new tires. It has the run flats on it now. It also has a spare so I do not need to retain the run flat tires. The run flats are to expensive to replace and from what I hear the ride quality with them is poor. My preferences are ride quality first, handling second, and then tread wear.

Give me some opinions on what Tires I should replace the run flats with. I am leaning toward the Goodyear F1 GS D3's. Is that a good choice?

Thanks

I just replaced my Goodyear GS-Cs with Firestone Firehawk SZ50's. The ride is absolutely great and they are very quite compared to the Goodyears. Check out the comments and ratings on www.tirerack.com.

I have the SZ50's as well but I believe they have discontinued making them. There are probably some still out there that the warehouses haven't sold yet.

Paul G said:
Give me some opinions on what Tires I should replace the run flats with. I am leaning toward the Goodyear F1 GS D3's. Is that a good choice?

Thanks

Definatley hear good things about the SZ50's. F1 GS D3's ROCK :beer

I am going to seriously look at Falken Tires. They have some good reviews and great looking tread patterns for not a whole bunch of money.

The GS D3's are a real nice improvement over the GS-C's. Improved road noise and the wet traction is worlds better than the GS-C. Got a set on the front of my C4.

Leon

The front of my 94 is sporting F1's. Only have about 400 miles on em so far, but I like em !! :) Seems to "grip" the road better than my old GS C's.

When way faster cars had to slow to around 60 mph at the Pony Express in HEAVY rain I had no trouble at 110 plus with 315's on the rear. These tires rock your world in the rain. BTW the fresh RainX was also a BIG factor.

I put the Goodyear F1 GS D3 on my rear wheels two weeks ago. Huge improvement over the GS-C's and they look awesome too. After my research, I would have gone with either the Firestone Firehawk SZ50's or Goodyear F1 GS D3. www.tirerack.com has good ratings (as mentioned above).

Chetzki

Tire needed

I have a Yokohama A540 50 VR P255/50R16 Tire with low miles that I aquired when I bought my 86 Vette. It was extra as the other matching tire was damaged. I will need to get 2 new tires and wonder if anyone knows where I can find this size tire. I was told you have to match the tires exactly if you put them on the same axle.

jdenn47 said:
I have a Yokohama A540 50 VR P255/50R16 Tire with low miles that I aquired when I bought my 86 Vette. It was extra as the other matching tire was damaged. I will need to get 2 new tires and wonder if anyone knows where I can find this size tire. I was told you have to match the tires exactly if you put them on the same axle.

Try www.tirerack.com They have dozens of different types of sizes and manufacturer's of tires.

Tirerack doesn't have it

Checked www.tirerack and they don't carry that one. Was told that Sears carried it years ago and replaced it, but the tread design isn't the same. Guess I will have to sel it and buy 2 new ones.
Thanks anyway.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom