Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New (to me) 1996 Corvette

MarkC

Corvette
1998 Coupe
I just purchased a 1996 Collectors Edition Coupe with 51,000 miles. The vehicle appears to have been very well maintained and recieved service from the Chevrolet dealer where I purchased it. I plan on keeping this Corvette for at least 5 years and would appreciate any input regarding common problems or areas of concern I might expect to arise. Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome to the CAC! Nice looking CE too! I am not that familiar with the LT1's but I have heard many people say do not get the opti spark wet, or else you will have to replace it.

Welcome, and congratulations on your purchase of a particularly fine looking automobile. :cool

Other than keeping the opti-spark dry, there are no real gotchas with this car. Make sure you have a good four-wheel alignment done to minimize wear on the tires, and I would replace the engine accessories drive belt and radiator/heater hoses unless you know they were recently done.

The only thing that really bothered me about the car was the first-to-fourth gear skip feature. That had to go right away. Drove me crazy.

Enjoy it!

Barry

Hi Mark and welcome! I can't help you with any '96 CE issues but I wanted to congratulate you on your purchase and welcome you to the CAC.

If you like, post a note in the New Member Forum here so that more of our members can stop by and say hello.

Nice Collector's Edition!

attachment.php

Enjoy the Vette and the Forums!
:w Jane Ann

I assume this is an Automatic? In 1996 the LT1 engine was only available with the auto trans, while the LT4 was only available with the 6spd. What things do you need to look out for?

Optispark; the LTx series distributor. Engineers didn't put it in the most opportune place (under the water pump), and it is susceptible to damage by liquid (engine coolant). Do NOT use a high pressure washer to wash or steam the engine this will /could be very detrimental to the Opti. And it is a fairly expensive item to replace. The opti itself is an expensive piece, then if you don't do the labor yourself, that becomes pretty expensive. I've heard of guys having this done and paying as much as $1200- 2500.

Now, the 95 and 96 versions were modified to alleviate some of the issues, but it is best to be careful around the opti. They tend to fail, from what I understand, at about 75k-90k miles. So if the opti hasn't been done at this point, you can probably expect to have to do it in the next 25k -30k miles.

Other issues Seat Bolsters; This is a problem with all C4's (1984-1996). It wears from getting into/out of the car. Keep the leather soft and supple and that helps the wearing. I use a product called "Pristene Clean" available from leatherique.com not cheap but it works great in keeping the leather soft and supple.

Congrats on a great looking car and enjoy. If you have specific questions you've found the right place to find answers.

Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome, nice compliments and great advice. Glad to see there are people so willing to share their knowledge and experience and I look forward to many years of participation. Thanks again.

Welcome to the CAC and congratulations on the purchase of your '96 CE. You're gonna love it!!
GOG8-5-062.jpg

Welcome and enjoy your CE.
I bought mine last year.
These are low production cars and should hold and increase in value.
Do you have the window sticker and build sheet for your CE?????
The CAC and its members will help you with anything you needed.
firstvet

Beautiful looking CE. LT4 or LT1?

I've only had my '96 for about a year now, and I've got to tell you, these are reliable cars and (I can only speak for the LT4) this Corvette is a rocket...with 16/27 mpg. You can't beat that.

Our '96s have the beautiful looks of the C4s, and the technology of the mid-90s.

Welcome to the :CAC
Search around here for great info on anything pertaining to your Vette!!! :w

Have had my CE since 10/03 been nothing but fun. Welcome aboard enjoy the ride

I just purchased a 1996 Collectors Edition Coupe with 51,000 miles. The vehicle appears to have been very well maintained and recieved service from the Chevrolet dealer where I purchased it. I plan on keeping this Corvette for at least 5 years and would appreciate any input regarding common problems or areas of concern I might expect to arise. Thanks in advance for the help.

I purchased a 1995 with 37,000 miles on it in Oct 2006 and I love it. I have just started to do some interior work on it but it's in great shape and I stole it for 10K. Good luck with your new baby.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom