Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie with '65 trim tag question.

Roadtrip

Corvette
65 Coupe
I wanted to introduce myself and say hi,

I just bought my fathers original '65 that he sold the day I was born, he had wrecked it in the 60's and traded some parts off of it for the body work he needed done to it. Anyway, I found the car 8 years ago and patiently waited for the owner to finally sell it to me (ironically yesterday), nearly 38 years after my father sold it. It is an decent driver that has been missing a very important piece since my dad traded some parts off of it in '67.

I want to confirm pretty much what I already know but I cannot find a Noland Adams book for sale or know anyone with one, to decifer the ECL.

The Trim Tag reads like this.

F 25
Style 65 437
Trim 426AB
Body S1426
Paint 900QQ

This car also came with AC & it was apparently used for the '65 Kansas City Auto Show.

I am 99.99% sure of what I have stumbled on, I just wondered if someone can confirm it for me. There is also another very strange feature to this car and if anyone here is an expert I would certainly like to discuss the vehicle. Basically I'm starting the process of documenting it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mike

Mike - Hi and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

That's a neat story! So you've aquired your dad's '65?!?

I'm unable to help you with your questions but you've come to the right place for assistance and guidance from knowledgeable Corvette enthusiasts. We've got some great members here!

Congrats... and good luck!
:wJane Ann

I want to confirm pretty much what I already know but I cannot find a Noland Adams book for sale or know anyone with one, to decifer the ECL.

The Trim Tag reads like this.

F 25
Style 65 437
Trim 426AB
Body S1426
Paint 900QQ

Mike

The "AB" ECL on the trim code says it was built with the N03 big tank and without power windows or Powerglide.

:beer

Mike,

A tanker! Oh baby. There were only 41 of those built in '65. Congratulations.

Does it still have the big tank? Is the rear compartment approximately as high as the seat tops, rather than the typical height of most midyears? Is the jack stored in the right-rear of the compartment?

Here's plenty to get started on..........
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c2/1965/65prod.html

:CAC

Mike,

Does it still have the big tank? Is the rear compartment approximately as high as the seat tops, rather than the typical height of most midyears? Is the jack stored in the right-rear of the compartment?

Here's plenty to get started on..........
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c2/1965/65prod.html

:CAC

Thanks, the tank was removed in the late 60's as a trade for repairs... The guy who took it out (which we may have just found today) put the interior back using 1966 pieces, the coolest thing is that it has AC, which if I can document the tank, makes it one of two made. I also believe it may be a ZZ code car. Not sure how to even begin investigating that though.

This site has been very helpful and hopefully the right expert will run into this thread with suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I don't know much but I knew that was special! :drool:

This site has been very helpful and hopefully the right expert will run into this thread with suggestions.

One of those experts gave you the trim tag info. ;)

Congrats - again!

the coolest thing is that it has AC, which if I can document the tank, makes it one of two made. I also believe it may be a ZZ code car. Not sure how to even begin investigating that though. Mike

I don't think there's any way to determine how many tankers were built with C60 (I had a Glen Green '65 tanker with the 327/365 and A/C that I restored in 1974), but there were more than two. Noland's midyear survey found three '65 A/C tankers, but the survey only included a very small number of cars compared to total production.

I don't recognize the "ZZ" code you mentioned - what is that?

I don't think there's any way to determine how many tankers were built with C60 (I had a Glen Green '65 tanker with the 327/365 and A/C that I restored in 1974), but there were more than two. Noland's midyear survey found three '65 A/C tankers, but the survey only included a very small number of cars compared to total production.

I don't recognize the "ZZ" code you mentioned - what is that?

I thought I read somewhere about there being two... Perhaps the person mistook the 39 Heater Delete cars as being all N03 optioned ones (that would leave two with the AC). That's the only thing I can think of... The ZZ code was mentioned in the Black Book... 5 non standard paint or Primed cars that were listed as Silver Pearl originally?

I don't know much but I knew that was special! :drool:

One of those experts gave you the trim tag info. ;)

Congrats - again!

Thanks Jane Ann, this is getting pretty interesting. I was lucky to find the experts so quickly.

I thought I read somewhere about there being two... Perhaps the person mistook the 39 Heater Delete cars as being all N03 optioned ones (that would leave two with the AC). That's the only thing I can think of... The ZZ code was mentioned in the Black Book... 5 non standard paint or Primed cars that were listed as Silver Pearl originally?

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but supposedly................

"The first 1965 was painted 1964 Satin Silver and coded ZZ (Cadillac’s code for the same color)."

Thanks Jane Ann, this is getting pretty interesting. I was lucky to find the experts so quickly.

You've just discovered firsthand why the Corvette Action Center is the BEST Corvette site on the web. :upthumbs We have great members here... knowledgeable and experienced Corvette enthusiasts that are willing to help others learn about and enjoy their Corvettes to the fullest extent. ;)

Enjoy!

I thought I read somewhere about there being two... Perhaps the person mistook the 39 Heater Delete cars as being all N03 optioned ones (that would leave two with the AC).

There was no relationship between N03 and C48 (heater delete); C48 was available on any Corvette, and N03 was available on any Corvette coupe. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom