Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newby to a 2000 conv c5 177k and I need help

02silvet

Corvette
2000 Silver Convertible Black Int 6SP
I inherited a 2000 conv. c5 5.7l. Roughly maintained cosmetically and probably most fluids except the oil.
Seems to run fine and doesn't appear to have any leaks. Has a squeak in the belt, I think, with a couple dash lights on. ABS and the traction control.
Do the Windows index on this model cause they are outside the top in the upper rear corner?
I'll have to try and reset the rear window. The battery was replaced at a discount warehouse early this year.
The tract control light is on but no codes on my torque pro app about it and pushing the console button does nothing.
Had a catylist code and I've cleared it to see if it returns. This thing hasn't been driven at all for a year plus, maybe just cranked up.
The oil looks great on the stick but the DIC says oil life is up. Can I set this up for the reminder at 8k for synthetics?
The tires are a Michelin Pilot Sport AS, 17" front and 18" rear, and say 51 PSI. The door tag says 30 PSI. What should it be?
I think the electronic tire pressure sensors are not working or disconnected cause the DIC is reading something about the TPM.
What gauges do I need to set up on Torque app and where can I get the readings needed for pressures and temps.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Squeak in the belt could be the belt itself or the belt tensioner pulley. The belt shouldn't be hard to replace, although I've not specifically done so myself on the C5. Inspect the belt for cracks/wear, and if necessary, replace it. Sometimes even a new belt will squeak if it gets some kinds of automotive fluids on it. If the squeak isn't attributable to the belt, start looking into replacement of the belt tensioner pulley.

If by 'index' you mean dip when opening/closing the doors, the windows do not do that on the C5. Sounds like they will need to be adjusted. Somewhere around the forum is a procedure, I think. It will involve removing the upholstery panel, as I recall.

I can't really venture a guess about the warning lights you're seeing; there could be any number of causes for them. Not familiar with how the Torque Pro application you're referring to works, so the best thing for you to do may be to pull the error codes via the DIC and post them; that way folks will have more insight into at least what the car thinks is wrong with itself. See this thread:

Pulling Codes on a C5

Since you mentioned the battery had been replaced, you might want to also review this thread:

Important! C5 Column Lock debunked

The C5 is somewhat temperamental about battery voltage and reserve capacity (RC); the discount battery installed in yours might not meet either criteria.

If the oil looks clean I suspect the oil life monitor was not reset after the most recent oil change. Search around the forum/internet for a reset procedure on a 2000 model year; it's not hard, but I don't recall it off-hand. You might be able to just pull up the DIC display with the oil life indicator on it, then press and hold the "RESET" button until the display reads "100%" again.

I've not heard of the tire pressure sensors supplying erroneous readings; they either work or they do not. And when they don't work, they don't supply any reading at all. But attempting to reset the tire pressure sensors wouldn't hurt. It can be done yourself if you've got a ring magnet (like from a transmission pan); there's an online procedure somewhere if you search. If you don't have a magnet or don't want to try it yourself, most tire stores can quickly reset the tire pressure sensors on the C5.

But before doing anything else, get a hand-held tire pressure gauge and verify what the tire pressures actually are. 51 psi is WAY too high for any tire on a passenger vehicle; if that reading is confirmed by the manual pressure gauge, immediately release some of the air pressure until it corresponds with the recommended tire pressures listed on the door label. If the manual pressure gauge shows the tires to be at the correct pressure, and the pressure monitoring system is still showing 51 psi, that would indicate a problem with the brains of the car. Unfortunately, replacement body modules are difficult to find these days...

Good luck!

First off, Welcome to CAC. :w Sounds like you have a good project there. Another thing on the belt squeak is the harmonic balancer. It seems to me that it could be a cause. Might want to take a look at it and see if it runs smoothly and straight. If it wobbles, then it needs to be replaced.

As Tim indicated, the C5 is pretty picky about the battery. Check out that video and review the specs that are required, and stick to those specs when you choose a battery.

The oil monitor probably wasn't reset after the last oil change. I change mine according to the monitor, or once a year, whichever occurs first.

Even though the tire side might say 51psi, that is the MAXIMUM tire pressure under MAXIMUM load, something that will NEVER happen with a Corvette. Follow the label on the door jamb for tire pressure. As far as the TPM, I'm guessing the pressure sensors on each wheel are shot. IIRC those replacements are not easy to find, but maybe the aftermarket has picked up the slack and now supply them....I just don't know for sure.

Good luck with getting the 02 back up going. A little TLC goes a long way.

" I think, with a couple dash lights on. ABS and the traction control"

Before you go crazy spending money on the car, check the ABS for functionality. If the ABS module is bad, you may be in deep doo-doo. There are no OEM replacements known in the system, no aftermarket units have been developed, and junkyards seem to be out too. This is a real problem for C5 owners.

I hope it's a warning light fault.

Welcome to the C5 communmity, "02silvet"

Your "Torque Pro" app won't read fault codes other than those set in the ECM.

If the ABS and Traction Control Service lights are on, you can use the C5's "on-board code display feature to get the fault codes. Pray that it's a wires and connections issue. If the ABS/TCS controller has failed, as "Catbert" says, you're f**ked because replacements are difficult to find and obscenely expensive.

As for the TPMS service light on, same deal...your "Torque Pro" app will not read those codes. Get whatever fault code is set in the TPMS controller using the code display function.

As for tire pressures, I'd run 26-28 cold for normal driving. If you're going to the track or carrying a full load, raise the pressure to what the door sticker says. The tires, themselves, may say 51 psi but that's the inflation pressure necessary to support the tire's ultimate load, a load the tires will never carry in a Corvette application.

The Oil Life Monitor system is not user configurable. My rule of thumb when using a premium synthetic, such as "Gibbs Driven LS30", is change oil at 150% oil life with a filter change every 50%. If you're using Mobil 1, change at 0% oil life. Do not use extended drain intervals with M1 5W30.

Last edited:
If the battery ran down, the car loses the TPMS and the key less entry.

As mentioned, C5s are also notorious for bad or intermittent ground problems. Occasionally after high RPM runs, mine used to turn on the ABS and traction control lights. After I cleaned all the (insert profanity here) connectors and grounds; it never did it again.
You can use a FSM to see where the grounds are located or do a search for "Bill Curlee and corvette ground images" As you need to disconnect the battery; "she" will be mad at you.

C5s also dislike being jumped to start a dead battery. That can trigger all kinds of codes, lights, and even activate the anti-theft system.

Ok on the tire PSI. I think the battery's on the sensors are out so I'll tend those when rotating the tires. Found plenty of sensors online.
The Harmonic wheel is wiggling and that's the squeak so I'll be ordering soon. What else should be repaired with parts out of the way while doing this? The AC main components were replace 2012 but right now there's no belt so I can put that back on and hope for best.
The hood stays up fine but the water fall and trunk lid don't go up by themselves but do stay up when fully lifted. Is this the way it's supposed to be?
Any advice for lifting the car and any special method for disconnecting the battery? Will be cleaning the grounds to get started on the ABS and Traction icons that are lit up on the dash.
The Codes DIC
10-PCM P1571 H C
28-TCS NO COMM.
58-SDM U1040 H C
B0-RFA C2120 H C

You'll need the lifting pucks to safely lift the car. I made my own, but they are available to buy.

I'd be for replacing the WF and trunk lid struts, they should at least pop the lids up a bit.

Keep plugging away at it and you'll get it going. :thumb

... the water fall and trunk lid don't go up by themselves but do stay up when fully lifted. Is this the way it's supposed to be...?

My recollection is the tonneau cover (what you're calling the waterfall) should raise up on its own when released; the one on my '04 currently does not, nor does it remain up when open, so my struts need to be replaced. Yours sound like they're serviceable for the moment.

The trunk lid will not fully open on its own when released, even with new struts; it should only pop open enough to get your fingers into the opening so you can manually open it. Your struts on the trunk lid sound like they're fine.

... Any advice for lifting the car...?

Depends on how much ground clearance you need. A floor jack will do fine, as long as you use the correct jacking points and some kind of lifting puck, like Tom said; I have a friend who uses actual hockey pucks on his floor jack. I typically use drive-on ramps to get underneath mine.

... any special method for disconnecting the battery...?

Same as every other car: disconnect the negative/ground (black) terminal first, then the positive (red) terminal. When reconnecting, reverse that order.

Did you determine whether your discount battery has the correct voltage and reserve capacity ratings for the C5?

... The Codes DIC
10-PCM P1571 H C
28-TCS NO COMM.
58-SDM U1040 H C
B0-RFA C2120 H C

Looks like you've got historical and current error codes. The forum thread that I supplied you that gave instructions on how to pull the codes off the DIC also provides a link to a site that helps to decode their meaning. That site provides the following:
  • PCM P1571 = "ASR Desired Torque;" I'm personally not sure what that's telling us...
  • TCS NO COMM is probably telling you the car has lost communication with the traction control system.
  • U1040 = seems to fall under code group 60 IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) -- as opposed to 58 SDM (which not listed by that site) -- and refers to "Loss of Communications with TCS," which is probably related to the previous code on the traction control system. Not sure how this bodes for the health of your TCS; but I'd ensure the battery is correctly rated and 'healthy' before going down the path of replacing modules.
  • RFA C2120 = "TPM System Malfunction (No Sensors Received)" is probably just an alert that (as you surmised) the tire pressure sensors may be kaput... But like "kpic" said, when the discount battery was installed, communications with the TPMS would have been interrupted and may not have been restored. Try resetting the tire pressure sensors before assuming they need to be replaced. The simplest thing for you to do may just be to go to a local tire merchant and have them attempt the reset. It would only take a few minutes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom