Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Octane Booster

Carver81

Corvette
1981 "What seems to be the problem officer" Yellow
Hello folks,

First off forgive me if this is a topic that you have all beaten to death, but what is the general thinking on the use of octane booster in an L81? I've read the booster is a waste of money and just use high octane from the pumps but just want to get some opinions from actual C3 owners, and specifically from 81 owners.

Many thanks,

Carver81

A stock L-81 has an 8.25:1 compression ratio and a computer controlled advance curve that I'm pretty sure is not very agressive. Higher octane's only benefit is to stop detonation, which is usually only a problem in higher compression engines with a more agressive timing advance curve. Also, one of the benefits of the L-81's Computer Command Control system is that it detects detonation (if it should occur) and retards the timing to stop it automatically. Unless you have replaced your heads and / or your computer's chip, octane booster and premium fuel are both a waste of money. God bless, Sensei

That's exactly what I just heard from my GM mechanic.

Sensei,

Not ten minutes after making that posting I was picking up the car from an oil change and asked the mechanic about the booster and his answer was exactly what you said. Compression ratio is far too low for booster or higher octane to be of any benefit.

This may be the shortest post ever because I'd say the issue is resolved!

Carver81

A stock L-81 has an 8.25:1 compression ratio and a computer controlled advance curve that I'm pretty sure is not very agressive. Higher octane's only benefit is to stop detonation, which is usually only a problem in higher compression engines with a more agressive timing advance curve. Also, one of the benefits of the L-81's Computer Command Control system is that it detects detonation (if it should occur) and retards the timing to stop it automatically. Unless you have replaced your heads and / or your computer's chip, octane booster and premium fuel are both a waste of money. God bless, Sensei

ditto on that.. I am running 10.25:1 compression and I am fine with 93 octane... we see this a lot with people running too high an octane or too cold a plug.. that actually will decrease performance .... especially in more modern cars...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom