Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil catch can - which one realy works?

zagger

Corvette
99 C5 Convertible
I have purchased an oil catch can off the eBay and I'm very disappointed. The design is totally useless in separating oil vapors. The only thing I can see it doing is cooling and condensing the vapor when the engine is turned off and it has time to cool. I'm talking about the vapor which when cooled will turn back into liquid and collect on the bottom of such can. That is what I think fools some people into thinking that the can is working as claimed. Before I get schooled I have to admit that the can I got was the cheep $20 dollar kind. Guess I got what I paid for. I would like to find out if the higher priced cans are better in separating vapors and which is the best one on the market. My question to you is if you are ruining a can is it working to your satisfaction, how much did it cost and the amount of oil it is actually accumulating. The last being most important. Go ahead and school or flame me if you like, I would like to hear all the opinions on the subject. Even the positive ones :L . Thanks for any and all responses.
Zig.

When purchasing items on EBay it's a coin toss whether or not you'll be satisfied with your gem once you receive it. I've learned through personal experience...:eyerole :bash :ugh

I'm buying one for my Z06 based on what I've read here and will order one from one of the supporting vendors that others have recommended...:upthumbs

We have the best catch cans :D

Seriously, our catch cans are two chamber, precision milled.
You won't find a can better than this one.

CatchcanBlueFull.jpg

CatchCanExplode.jpg

I can never keep them in stock. Right now I have 2 blue and 2 red.
You will have to email me at CustomCorvetteAccessories@Gmail.com if you are interested in the Blue one.

I expect to have the next shipment of 80 in the week of 6/2, some of which are already spoken for.

www.CustomCorvetteAccessories.com

Peace
Chip

Willufone; Thanks for the pictures. The can I got does not compare in the build quality or the design. Could you tell me on average how much oil does your can capture? The design apears to be very eficient at condencing the vapor and I realy like the idea of a secondary colector. I can see it would keep the acumulated oil from splashing back in to the system during performance driving.

Dave: Please explain the purpose of an oil catch can?
Dave

An oil catch can is a device which in theory is suposed to trap oil ( or oil vapor) in a closed pvc system. On the LS1 the buil up of crankcase presure is evacuated through a PVC valve and then into a intake manifold (a source of vacume). All that air moving through the PVC system carries oil vapor with it. It is then ingested and burned off by the engine and out the exost. This is a very lame explanation. There are lots of threds that address this. If you surch the forums you will find much better explanation of the system than I can give you. The aleged problem with this system is that to much oil acumulates in the intake and couses build up on valves, valve seats and in general couses poor engine performance. Do a surch on Sea Foam treatment, it addresses the problems that oil can couse and it's cure through Sea Foam treatment along with oil catch can. Good luck.
Zig.

Willufone; Thanks for the pictures. The can I got does not compare in the build quality or the design. Could you tell me on average how much oil does your can capture? The design apears to be very eficient at condencing the vapor and I realy like the idea of a secondary colector. I can see it would keep the acumulated oil from splashing back in to the system during performance driving.

Fair question, but I would have to say it depends.

On my car which is a pretty much a bolt on car, Headers, Catless, GHL's Vararam and 3.90's, I get about 1 oz every 3K of normal driving. If I take it to the track, I get a couple of oz's in a day.

FI cars blow more than non FI cars.
We have sold several people 2 cans for their FI car...

So it kind of depends on what Mods you have, and how hard you drive the car...

Peace
Chip

great product..I have one on my modded Z06...really works:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom