Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil leak

sunger

Corvette
1968 427 convertable
I have an oil leak on my 68 427/400, and I expect it is the rear seal. Can it be replaced by dropping the tranny, or do I need to pull the engine to get to it?
Thanks
Steve

I have an oil leak on my 68 427/400, and I expect it is the rear seal. Can it be replaced by dropping the tranny, or do I need to pull the engine to get to it?
Thanks
Steve
No,You can just drop the Oil Pan and probly drop the center steering link!!(Probly have to pull the 2 Long bolts in motor mounts to raise the engine a little to clear the pan!!) 68-427 has a 2 piece rear main seal!!! Don't discount the distributer seal,rear intake gasket, and oil line to gage first!!! As they are bad to leak too!!!:upthumbs

Thanks for the help, I will have a look this weekend. I have a reasonable puddle under the car...half a cup or so. something ain't right.

I have a crack in the oil pan near the drain. It looks like there is some weld around it, so someone had the same problem before and fixed it the cheap way. Not that big of a thing to replace. New pan, baffle and gaskets will run $150 to $200. Some days it just smiles down on you when I consider all of the things it could have been.

sunger, have you made any progress on the oil pan yet?

Yes, that is in the done column. Had a little trouble getting it off, but finally managed.

Yep, I had trouble getting mine off to. What type of gasket did you use and where did you use RTV?

The pan I bought came with the gasket. I didn't use any silicone. Maybe a difference between the 68 and 79?????

Black rubber is all I can say. A little oil around the top and bottom, and cinch it up.

I put mine up tonight. What a pain!!! I used the one piece rubber gasket with steel core by Fel-Pro. I did not put oil on the top and bottom. The directions did not call for it. I will put oil in tomorrow and start her up. Fingers are crossed...

The oil thing is something someone told me about once. Just smear some oil on your finger and rub it in the top and bottom. I'm not sure if it does any good or not, but it has been something I have done ever since.
It (the oil pan) is a pain, but hard to do wrong. It will be fine, I guarntee it.
Steve

Well, the leak has decided not to go away. Only one thing left it could be. Rear Main Seal. So frustrating...

Well, the leak has decided not to go away. Only one thing left it could be. Rear Main Seal. So frustrating...

Oh man.... sorry to hear that. I think we all know the feeling of being frustrated with these old gals.

Does your leak appear just after driving or when sitting for a while. Mine has'nt been started for a decade or so, I'm wondering what the future holds for me as soon as I get the water pump,clutch and the tripowers back on.
Rite now while its on the stands, no oil leaks.

Jim, after I drive and then park it it leaks. After it sits for a while the leak stops because the vehicle is not running. You won't know until you run her for a bit. I'm having to go through the process of replacing the rear main seal, the oil pump and the oil pan gasket to cure my problem. Let us know how things turn out...

Hey Jeff,

Did you get that oil leak fixed?

Ralph

Hey Ralph, not yet. I decided this time around I am going to have it done next week. Rear Main Seal, Oil Pump and Oil Pan Gasket. How are you doing with your multiple projects?

The "project" keeps growing. Maaaybe I'll get her back on the road before Carlisle! I fight the urge to rush it... however, with all the other priorities getting the free time makes it tough.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom