Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: oil

Lucas oil stabilizer is pure "snake oil". It's nothing more than a way to get you to give money to Lucas Oil for a worthless product.

Ok....it's "worthless" as long as you use a good engine oil.

Don't listen to "quick lube" franchises either. Most of them know how to sell oil and service but don't actually know much about oil and service.

As for the question that led this thread...

The "best" oil to use in a C5 engine regardless of price is Red Line 10W30.

The best to use if price is an important limitation is Mobil 1 10W30

Both of these are great engine oil products. There is absolutely no need to use any additive, Lucas or otherwise, with them.
Most of the time I agree with you, but this time I dont. Be as it may.... Lucas is not something I would add to a C-5, but you cant call it snake oil. It is the best thing for a Big diesel with mega miles. I use it in my pete and get 10 pounds more oil pressure at an idol . I just rebuilt my motor 30,000 miles ago, it had 1.6 million miles on it and my mechanic told me that it didnt even need it.

Mobil 1 works for me :thumb

How the heck can you change the filter without drooping oil ?

You put a small drain pan (I use an old pie plate) under the filter. You unscrew and remove the old filter. You prefill the new filter and install it in the old filter's place. Start and run the engine for a minute of so then shut it off. Wait 30 min and check the oil. Add any additional oil that is necessary.

I "droop" very little oil.

I spend a lot of time working with an researching Class 8 trucks and truck engines working for Randall-Reilly Publishing.

What's true of light vehicle engine oils, is true of the engines in Class 8s. If you are using the correct engine oil, you don't need an additive, Lucas or otherwise. If you're using the right oil, maintaining the engine properly and driving it right, it wouldn't surprise me to see 1,600,000 between overhauls.

10 pounds more pressure at "idol" (is that "Billy Idol" or "American Idol"--sorry, couldn't resist) is irrlevent. What's important is whether or not the volume of oil flowing through the engine is enough for properly lubrication.

yes, a full synthetic. go to there website and you will see the battery of test and oil comparisons Amsoil provides. When I had my 1200hp Mustang my engine builder only used Amsoil in his very expensive custom engines. He builds 6 second 2000+ hp engines....all with Amsoil. Amsoil has saved many an engine from further damage so he swears by it. So do I.

I use Amsoil 0W30 oil. expensive but worth it. the first number (0) is the weight when the oil is cold. the (30) is the viscosity when the oil get hot. 30 weight is the protection that gm recommends. the newer engines have higher tolerances which is why gm does not recommend thicker oils. Also, 0W30 oil allows rotating parts to operate much smoother resulting in more power. I have seen gains from 8-12 horsepower just by changing oils. I have noticed a better idle and quicker response from my car. it is not a daily driver just a weekend car. it runs much smoother and revs up much faster. fyi. Amsoil is one of the finest oils money can buy. not easy to find but worth the money. edram454.

For a car in Florida can tell us why you need a 0W30 oil?

Also, the 8-12hp gain. Can you, please, post some chassis dynomometer data that supports that claim? Additionally, any test data you can supply supporting your claim of improved idle stability as a result of using Amsoil would be welcome.

Hello Hib,
I truly enjoy your write-ups and respect your knowledge in the Corvette technical arena. The (0) tells your cold viscosity and the (30) the the viscosity at "temp". Generally a thinner oil will net better gas mileage since it takes less effort for the engine to rotate it's mass. Amsoil consistently has done the best in the ball bearing scar wear test against virtually all other brands..(see website). One of the dyno tests that I saw a zero weight oil up against a 5w20 weight was with a 2003 LS1 C5 corvette on LSXTV. In this case they used a japanese brand called Eneos 0w50. They ran two dyno test with the car hving 5w20 mobil 1...drained it and poured in the Eneos ow50.. ran two dynos with cooling between runs and gained 8 hp with 3 ft-lbs of torque on the change. dyno sheet at LSXTV just google Eneos dyno... This test was not with Amsoil but it shows how a thinner oil will produce more power. Of course the trick is to keep you car cool between runs to take advantage of the zero weight. I have felt my car run smoother and labor a tiny bit less with Amsoil zero weight oil. The oil I changed out was the Amsoil racing 15w50 oil I had bought when I was buying a ZR1 corvette a couple of years back. The deal fell through so I kept this racing oil on my shelf and put it in my car 5 months ago. When I read the article on zero weight oils and saw that gm recommends 5w30 weight because of tigher tolerances,, i changed out the oil immediately and went with 0w30 amsoil. Hope that at least answers some questions. I have not run a dyno with my 0w30 amsoil yet but plan too. edram454

Oil Observation

:confused what is the best engine oil to use? ive always used whats whats recomended in the owners manual. i hear lucas oil stabalizer is good to use with your oil. just wondering.:confused

About two months ago I was in Wallmart to buy oil and noticed their "Super Tech" brand of full synthetic oil, 5W-30. I read the label for the API service which was SM/CF, SL, SJ, SH and ILSAC GF-4,GF-3.

Also, on the label was "GM 4718 Crovette Spec". Now the good part the 5 quart container was only $17 so I loaded up ------ no, not for my Corvette but for all my other machines, lawn mowers, Honda four wheeler, DR brush cutter, and anything else here with a gas engine.

When I was in Wally World the other day I noticed the same oil but no "Corvette Spec" on the label.

What do you think, did Mobil 1 or the Corvette people get to Super Tech and put the squeeze on them because it's sold too cheaply or am I just getting more suspicious of the world?

Keep 'em rollin' :W
Bill

Remember: Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom