Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OK where should it attach?

K

Kap142

On my BB 72 the vac. contol for ( I think the wipers) is attached to nothing but the electrical connection (a 2 wire blue and lt gray plug in) It appears to have one vac line in and 2 out. but mine is connected to "nodda". I can see no obvious places it should connect and a vac. diagram provides no help. My wipers don't want to properly park and it hads been suggusted that this little critter might be the problem. Anyone care to assist?

Where exactly

I've got a 72 BB also and the wiper system now appears to work perfectly (or at least works)
Give me some more details on where your looking and I'll see where mine goes and pass that along
Mooser

Glad to

Was wondering if anyone was alive in here for a bit.

The device is immediately in front of the distributer (and shielding). It measures approx. 1.75 or so long and maybe 1.25 in dia. It is unpainted and cylindrical metal in color. A single two wire plug in is on the drivers side and that plug in consists of two wires of a blue color in one side and two wires of a lt gray color in the second half of the plug in. On the same end as the elect. plug in is a single (apparent) vac. connection nipple. On the pass side of this device is a two vacuum nipple (going or coming?) from who knows where. If you can help I would appreciate it very much. I find no disconnected lines and have little clue as to what might go where

Thanks

Ken

Spark pipe & TCS Solenoid

Ok, so I went look see and here's what I saw...
Mine does not have one. but let's keep going
The connector with the blue and grey (tan on mine) wires, one tan wire should keep going to the carb solenoid (the one that prevents the throttle from going to idle too quickly) in front of the throttle linkage on the front drivers side of the carb.

If that is true, then the plug your talking about is connected to the "solenoid assembly" (thanks GM) which according to the AIM (M374) is a cylinder as you described and the hoses go from the vac-advance on the distributer into the topo of this solenoid and then out the end over to a steel line running forward along the pass-valve cover and then goes over towards the carb and loops into a "t" conector hooked to a vac-can on the front pass-side of the carb

Sound even remotely close??
Mooser

Hummmm

Sounds "right on the money". So lets see, If yours doesn't have one and mine is disconnected, but still operates just fine both at idle and under acceleration are they needed at all?

My BB does have a dist vac line going to the front of the carb but it by passes the gizmo completely.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Ken

My advice would be to purchase the '72 assembly instruction manual and take a look at your problem areas. AIM shows all the vacuum and electrical connections.
:)

TCS Solenoid

I agree, the AIM is one of the handiest resources to have at your disposal. Pick one up whenever you get a chance.

As for the solenoid, it's part of the horsepower reduction system, I mean emmision control system. Bypasssing it should have only good effects (except when you need to go for a safety check or something)

But KEEP the the solenoid, you never know when you or someone might want to restore it to factory
Mooser

Cool!

It's now in the spare parts box.

Thanks guys

TCS Solenoid

What I believe you are describing is the transmission controlled spark solenoid which Chevy used for a few years. My 70 Chevelle BB had one as does my 72 Corvette SB. The harness connects to a switch in the tranny housing and is used with both auto and manual. It controls the vacuum advance to the distributor under certain conditions...don't remember the specifics... I think to prevent full advance at low speeds (prevent pinging, early smog control ?). Mine is in place for looks only since the car runs better without it

That device blocks vacuum to the distributor vacuum advance unless the car is in high gear or a) is overheating, or b) hasn't reached operating temperature yet. Most folks just bypass it so the distributor gets vacuum all the time.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom