Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

On my quest for 525-550 RWHP>>>>.

F.J.B.

Corvette
2004 Torch Red Coupe
My C5 currently kicks out 466 RWHP. But now I would like to kick it up to 525-550, with the Torque around 500-510. My car is used mainly for HPDEs and for beating the piss out of it on the street.

I am thinking that a New LS3 Block might be a good starting point.

Where should I go from there??
:mad:mad:mad

I read an interesting article today about supercharging and its ability to make up to 175HP. The one thing you might need to be concerned about is that the block may not be abe to take it. In an unrelated HP Gen III article there was discussion that aluminum blocks can only hold up to 600-700HP SAE net and that if you are going anywhere near 700 HP you should consider a cast iron Gen III block.

;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship;worship

If this is a serious question, you need to tell us what you've already done to get to 466. Otherwise, how can anyone recommend what you should change? Also, are you looking for dyno numbers or power under the curve?

If this is a serious question, you need to tell us what you've already done to get to 466. Otherwise, how can anyone recommend what you should change? Also, are you looking for dyno numbers or power under the curve?

It is serious. My current engine block sits with a hole in it.
Supercharger is not going to work for my application. My car is used for Road Courses and HPDEs. A Supercharger would just help me hit the Armco and Tire Walls faster.

My current setup is a Stock 346 Block with Trick Flow Heads & Cam.
Cam Specs- 232- 238/600-609- 114
Heads are 215 or 205.
Harland Sharp Rockers
High Flow Radiator
Extra Oil Cooler

The car dynoed at 466 RWHP/ 413 RWTQ after this Heads and Cam build.
Prior to the Heads and Cam, the car dynoed at 355 RWHP/367 RWTQ.

Aside from the Engine block having a hole in it, I do not yet know what if anything is salvageable from the engine. Once the engine is pulled and inspected we shall find out. But this upcoming week is Carlisle, so I dont know how much can be done.

My question is more about what to BUILD from scratch as opposed to what should be changed on the current setup.

LS9 would be nice. But too pricey.
Supercharger would be nice, but not for my purpose.
I am thinking a Forged LS3. The question is, what parts should I have put into that LS3 to get me to 525-550????

I think you can get there easily with a h/c forged LS3... especially if it's a stick. My A4 stroker has a forged LS2 with a much milder cam (228/232 .581/.588 114 +4) and made 486/472.

You could reuse your cam or go a bit bigger. Get some good long tube headers and a FAST-90 and you're there. :thumb

I think you can get there easily with a h/c forged LS3... especially if it's a stick. My A4 stroker has a forged LS2 with a much milder cam (228/232 .581/.588 114 +4) and made 486/472.

You could reuse your cam or go a bit bigger. Get some good long tube headers and a FAST-90 and you're there. :thumb

If the Cam is useable, I will reuse it. I am probably going with American Racing Headers 1 7/8th. I currently have 1 3/4. Was also thinking the Fast Intake and Ported TB.:)

In a few years I hope to buy the LS3 "Hotcam" crate motor from GM....480 horse power. That and some long tube headers, high flow cats, and a better intake should bring me to around 500 DEPENDABLE horses. Plenty for me.

GM Performance Parts | LS 376/480 Overview

"The GM Performance Parts engineers picked the LS Hot Cam (p/n 12617570) to take the LS3 to the next level. This cam specs out with .525-inch intake and exhaust valve lift. Duration (@ .050 inches) is 219° intake and 228° exhaust. This cam allows for a dramatic increase in power across the power band while still maintaining good street manners. The engine will idle and cruise just like an LS3, but the power increase is there whenever you need it."

Turns out nothing from my engine is reuseable.

As of now, we are going with an LS3 Block and building from there.

ARH 1 7/8th Headers
Trickflow 245 Heads
LS7 Dry Sump System
Forged Internals
(to be continued)
>...................................:upthumbs

In Noo-Yawk City?

You are one scary dude .... kicking that around the streets of New York. I mean like where; Canal Street or ... :eek:hnoes

Sad one ... I was on "the 440" on Staten Island at about three in the morning. A Vette comes wailing down an on ramp followed by a van. I knew something was up so I slowed down and watched as they came to a stop (down by the landfill area) ....

Vette stops and the van pulls up behind it, a crew of guys jump out and within moments the Vette is up in the air, the doors are off, wheels are off, hood and it was like an assembly line with the parts going into the van. Damn these guys were pros and the fact that I was parked like 10 car lengths behind them watching didn't phase em' at all.

I pulled out and to my relief ....... there was "NYPD Blue" parked like a half mile down the 440. Soooooooooooo I pulled over and told then what was going on .... heck you could see the lights of the van in the distance. The officer thanked me for "my concern" and continued munching on his sandwich. I watched from a distance and he never moved. I mean ... he could have at least lit up the area and scared them off.

Poor Vette .... and it's owner .... still brings a tear to my eye ... :(

This is an old answer How fast do you want to go? how much money do you want to spend the skys the limit!Reach!:upthumbs

This is an old answer How fast do you want to go? how much money do you want to spend the skys the limit!Reach!:upthumbs

The car is mainly used for HPDE Road Courses and fun on the street. So basically, I want to go as fast as the car can take me .......safely!

The back straight at Watkins Glen is the fastest section of the track for me. So ideally , I want to be able to hit 150-155 before the 300 foot braking zone. Need time to slow down to maneuver thru the "bus stop". They frown upon me when I go straight!! My car has seen 168 elsewhere, so I would like to someday top that. Again, with safety as a factor.

Budget....well thats a whole different story. I would like to say 15K. But I am slowly finding that to be slightly low.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom