Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Once you get a crate engine....you can stroke it to 383

Here are the specs on some of the crates and their respective, approximated pricing (slightly different depending where you buy)

HT383:
Horsepower ...325 @ 4500 RPM
Torque ...........415 @ 3500 RPM
$3800

ZZ4:
Horsepower ..355 @ 5250 RPM
Torque ..........405 @ 3500 RPM
$3700

ZZ430
Horsepower ...430 @ 5800 RPM
Torque ...........430 @ 4000 RPM
$4900

All info taken from http://www.superchevyperformance.com

For the money, I'd take the ZZ4 over the HT383 (which I did, in fact!). Although, if you really want the power, spend the bucks on the ZZ430. Always best to start with a balled out engine, then consider adding external go-fast-goodies later. On a guestimate, I'd say that the ZZ430 with a stock TH350 tranny and 3.08 rear end (stock), you can pull top speed over 150mph (for sure) and mid 12's in the 1/4 mile. Not too shabby, my friend!

I sometimes stil wish I had gotten the ZZ430, but at the time, it was still a limited production engine (only 430 produced, special adornments and whatnot), but was around $7000+. Now you get the same thing for $4900. Day-um! I may one day still do the same conversion to my ZZ4...

Ok ok ok ok ....if you want to really get silly...

454HO
Horsepower ....425 @ 5250 RPM
Torque ............500 @ 3250 RPM
$4715

502HO
Horsepower ... 450 @ 5250 RPM
Torque ............550 Ft. Lbs. @ 3500 RPM
$5467

:Silly

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a big block in an 80-82...

And one last thing: (yeah right!)
The more power you keep under your hood, the quicker you are going to be rebuilding your tranny & tq converter. Might as well plan on getting the 700R4 tranny after getting your engine! hahahah... :D My 700R4 arrives next spring!

What intake manifold is on that engine?

Also, if you are putting this in a vette, you may have hood clearance issues. Also, in regards to the fan shroud /radiator, there may be clearance problems with the longer style water pump on that engine.

The Edelbrock Performer fits under the 1980 hood. I have one. The Performer RPM wont fit because it is a 1/2 inch higher.

Evolution1980 said:
What intake manifold is on that engine?

Also, if you are putting this in a vette, you may have hood clearance issues. Also, in regards to the fan shroud /radiator, there may be clearance problems with the longer style water pump on that engine.

grrrreat :( im not sure what intake manifold is on that engine, i'll have to find out. how do i know if there will be clearance issues? thats the last thing i need

Uunfortuunately, I don't think there's anyway to be 100% positive. I don't think you can really measure the manifold height to get a "for sure" reading because the overall height of everything beneath may be different than your current block.

If anything, you should be able to do what I did. Simply swap the water pump with the one you are currently using. As for hood clearance, (before the aftermarket hood), I had to step down to a 3" tall aircleaner assm. Which, for all intents and purposes, will still flow enough air to satisfy your engine.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it, just know that the possibility exists.

Evolution1980 said:

If anything, you should be able to do what I did. Simply swap the water pump with the one you are currently using. As for hood clearance, (before the aftermarket hood), I had to step down to a 3" tall aircleaner assm. Which, for all intents and purposes, will still flow enough air to satisfy your engine.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it, just know that the possibility exists.

well it is a 350 block right? so it shouldnt have any major problems (different crankshaft, 383 stroked). the worst case scenario is i need the L-88 hood

HighlyFanatic said:
the worst case scenario is i need the L-88 hood

It wouldn't necessarily have to be the "L88" hood, per se. There are quite a few different 'high-rise" hoods. Like mine for example. It's a 'stock' 80 hood, except the cowl is 2" taller.

Evolution1980 said:
For the money, I'd take the ZZ4 over the HT383 (which I did, in fact!).

again,

1) clearance issues?
2) will the heads work with Hooker sidepipes/headers?

You won't (shouldn't) have any hood clearance issues with the stock hood and a 3" tell open-element air cleaner.

As for the water pump, I can't honestly say 100%. If you go with the ZZ4 as-is, then I believe you'll need to change water pump ("WP").

On the pic below is my original WP now on the installed ZZ4. You'll notice that the one currently installed sits very close to the timing cover, whereas the WP that shipped with it sat an inch or so off it.

march+pulleys+1.jpg

And for what it's worth, a shot from inside showing the view with the aftermarket cowl hood.

Over+the+cowl.jpg

If you want to see all my pics, go to http://photos.yahoo.com/thethingsido

If you have a yahoo account, you can login and see the pics fullscreen.

sorry i haven't been following this thread. i really should have been. this is the exact same project i took on.
i went with a bored out .040 short block 350 that i found at a car show for $300. i replaced everything under the hood, turned her into a 383 stroker, with around 400 hp, hooker supercompetition sidemount headers, beautiful cam (xtreme energy 268H Comp Cam), 2800 torque converter, new water pump, new quadrajet carb, performance everything. and the most beautiful set of ORIGINAL first series (1955) edelbrock valve covers, custom hand painted striped chevy orange.
i wish i had a scanner to get y'all some pics.

well the moral of the story is this.
i spent under $3k, she spits out around 400 horses. it's the most beautiful thing i've ever been a part of. no girl will ever do what she has done for me.
i challenge anyone to find a crate or longblock that can match her.

my advice take ur time. do it urself. but get help from the right guys. like those at :CAC !!!!
and you'll not just save money, but appreciate it 1000 times more.

The info already offered is solid info. Another alternative is to purchased a rebuilt motor. I too want to stroke my 350 into a 383 and have started researching my options. Speed-o-motive offers both new and rebuilt 383 motors as well as stroker kits. I'm probably either going to rebuild my 350 with a stoker kit or look at one of their rebuilt 383 engines. A rebuilt short block is $1450.00. A rebuilt long block w/ Dart heads is $2724. They advertise 400hp on the long block. In my case, I already have rebuilt vortec heads, new headers, carb etc... so a short block will work. Just my .02 worth.

Here is a link to their web site with engine package pricing:

http://www.speedomotive.com/400 H.P. STREET MASTER ENGINE CHEVY 350 STROKER.htm

Jim

Here's a few of my opinions:
I've known Dick at dallasexportsales for several years. He does quality work and has good prices on parts. I would not buy his econo motor. The upgraded 425 hp motor is a much better deal.
As for the difference between a 350 and a 383...... about 25 hp and the torque comes in at a lower rpm. The disadvantage with the 383 is max rpm is 4800 unless you upgrade to steel crank and rods. When building a 383 all the cylinders must be notched for clearance.

Mike

awesome fellas, lots of options. time to sit down and research.

1DOWN6TOGO said:
well the moral of the story is this.
i spent under $3k, she spits out around 400 horses.i challenge anyone to find a crate or longblock that can match her.
my advice take ur time. do it urself. but get help from the right guys. like those at :CAC !!!!
and you'll not just save money, but appreciate it 1000 times more.

Good advice. I'll play devil's advocate here just for the sake of people thinking all sides to this question. :argue

I thought the same way you did. It was cheaper to start with an older block and do it up. But I started thinking about this.. dealing with a used block. Sure, you can beat the hell out of them and not really have any noticable wear, but there are still structural tolerances that are now less, if even only slightly. I like the peice of mind that EVERYTHING on my engine in brand-spankin' new, WITH warranty.

Another consderation was that now instead of one engine, I have two! Should something happen to the new engine, I at least have my original to fall back on...OR...I get a beater F-body/truck/GM whatever and I put the engine in that as a fun tool around beat up car....OR....I sell the old engine as a complete short block and then just put that towards the price of the new engine.

In then the end, having TWO working engine, and the new one being just that ("new"), I felt the extra bucks spent worth it.

Highlyfanatic,
Where are you located and what year vette do you have?
Hijinx,
the bare block from SD is made in mexico. Wouldn't make a good boat anchor.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom