Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Once you get a crate engine....you can stroke it to 383

Stingray6974 said:
Highlyfanatic,
Where are you located and what year vette do you have?
Hijinx,
the bare block from SD is made in mexico. Wouldn't make a good boat anchor.

Mike

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

its an '81!

Stingray6974 said:
I would not buy his econo motor.

just wonderin, but how come? i dont want to get anything bigger, cuz that gives away the stock appearance by having to use a different hood to accomodate the engine.

hopefully that 383 stroker motor fits without issues, but i dont know for certain.

basically the choices have come down to this:

1) the ZZ4 (because some people have had it work with Hooker headers like evo1980, but still not 100% positive if the engine will fit with a stock hood)
2) StrokerMotors.com's 383 Motor (but im not sure if it will fit, but i know for sure that the Hooker headers will work with it)
3) Speed-O-Motive Crate http://www.speedomotive.com/400 H.P. STREET MASTER ENGINE CHEVY 350 STROKER.htm (again as long as it works with Hooker headers i'll be happy)

all priced below $3500; its a close race here....performance wise their pretty much even. a 700R4 is going to follow, and it will be a daily driver :D

With regards to fitting under the hood, any 350 or 383 (350 block) will fit under your hood. Its the intake manifold that could be the problem. If you go with a highrise intake, you could run into problems with the height. Most folks are forced to use a edelbrock performer style intake versus the performer rpm although I have read of some who are able to get away with a highrise intake. Same issue with edelbrock airgap I think. I use an edelbrock performer with a 3" aircleaner and have about 1/8" distance from aircleaner lid to hood.

Jim

HighlyFanatic said:
the ZZ4 (because some people have had it work with Hooker headers like evo1980, but still not 100% positive if the engine will fit with a stock hood)

If you are referring to hood clearance with the ZZ4, yes, it will clear the stock hood. Really, just about any 350ci engine will clear a stock hood, it just means that your air cleaner gets shorter and shorter. Bigger engine + smaller air cleaner = Oops!

I have a Edelbrock Performer Intake and still use the factory air filter set up. When its time to get the car painted im going to get the hood that evo80 has. It looks stock.

i have the fastburn385 and the hooker supercomp sidemount headers and pipes and it will work it is a little harder to change the plugs on 1 and 2 but not that bad i am currently swapping over to tuned port and i had no clearance problems with the vortec intake that came with the motor i can provide some pics if you want to see them

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom