Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oosing blisters on LT4 doors!

LT4

Corvette
1996 Polo Green LT4 6 Speed
So I just bought a super clean 56k mile Polo green LT4 coupe. Shortly after I bought it I noticed a weird pattern of some type of substance streaking down the doors on both sides! I have removed both door panels to Dynamat and fix door panel cracks. The inside where the metal door reinforcement bars are "bonded" to the fiberglass skins are what is on the back side of the area that is blistering through the paint. Is there some sort of metal piece laminated into the glass doors in this area that could be rusting? Im wondering if a previous owner has sprayed WD-40 or something on the inside of the door panel and it has permeated through the fiberglass? The car did spend some time in Hawaii so lots of rain and humidity but the original paint is in otherwise great shape just like the rest of the car. This is a real bummer!

Since cars are shipped by boat to and from Hawaii it maybe some kind or "rust preventer" Not knowing what it is, I would talk to a marine supply store for suggestion of what to do.

First off, a welcome is in order to you. :w Welcome to CAC. We trust that your experience here will be a good one. :thumb

As for your question, I'm going to have to defer to experts that should be along soon.

First off, a welcome is in order to you. :w Welcome to CAC. We trust that your experience here will be a good one. :thumb

As for your question, I'm going to have to defer to experts that should be along soon.

Thank you!

Ok, I hope someone will soon. My car is just sitting with no door panels and im DYING to drive it! LOL I took some pics,ill try and attach them.

Attachments

• 13838146_1097281540342125_1898568554_o.jpg
    13838146_1097281540342125_1898568554_o.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 87
that kinda looks like cosmoline ,which was used shipping cars across the ocean. It can be a pain to remove on metal. If it is I wouldn't mess with it, The solvents to remove it, may attack resin in door.

that kinda looks like cosmoline ,which was used shipping cars across the ocean. It can be a pain to remove on metal. If it is I wouldn't mess with it, The solvents to remove it, may attack resin in door.

Definitely not Cosmoline, its dry to the touch and looks factory. Whatever is causing the blisters on the outside of the door is already through the resin if its related to this "reinforced area". The inside I posted a pic of looks like regular old "seam sealer". Im guessing to keep the outer skin from rattling against the door bar. I tried to take a pic of the blisters but they dont show up. Really im just trying to find out if there is in fact a metal part laminated into the door in this area or not. Ive searched and searched for pics of replacement door skins and stripped doors to try to see but cant find anything.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom