Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opening A Can Of Worms

Do what I did buy a C5 coupe for a DD and a C3 vert for weekends :upthumbs

Verts are best...

I think there are 2 types of people, vert and coup/hardtop. I personally have a vert and love it. During the spring/summer/fall I cant wait to get off work so I can drop the top and cruz home. Do I get a sunburn? yup sometimes but thats why I have a corvette hat. As far a wind noise...the tops down thats the whole point right? However, I dont have any problems hearing Frank Sinatra sing I've got you under my skin at 80mph or any of those golden oldies from the 50's (I grew up at the weekly drive-in's classic car night with my Dad back in the 90s, love those songs) Sorry back on track.

My advice make sure you get what you truly want and dont settle for anything less.

I have a Y2K Vert with no rattles as noted above. Do have a leak, though. They are likely a tad noisier than the coup/hardtop. But, they look so freakin' cool with that top down and cruisin'.:harhar

If you can find a fully loaded Z51 triple black roadster with the the 6 speed gear box C5 buy it. You will love it! They are hard to find but that will make them more valualble in the future. This edition has it all. Wind in your face, agressive look, and most of all, performance.

The triple black Z51 6speed will be a collector in the future. I bought mine new after driving each derivative offered. The Z06 was awesum but lacked the wind in your face factor. Therefore I chose a fully loaded Z51...it's just as awesum. It was/is the best performing non Z06, and even more fun than it, due to the drop the top factor.

Of all the C5 derivatives the triple black roadster is on top and since this combo was produced in low numbers it is surely a nice thing.

Good Luck

I meant to say that a "Fully Loaded Z51 Triple Black 6 speed with the Thin Spoke Wheels" is the one to get. They will comand a little bit of a higher premium in the future. If your interested, do your homework and you will see that about less than 2 thousand of these were produced for the entire production run of about 250,000.

For those easily amused laugh all you want.

Every Vette vert I owned leaked like a sieve and squeaked...get the Coupe;)

This seems like operator error to me. You shouldn't be driving your vettes in the rain anyway.:D

Kidding asside though, my vette has only seen rain six times. Each time I was inadvertantly caught in it. Twice were pretty darn good down pours. My top didn't leak. However when I used to wash my car with soap and water, I did get some minor leaking onto my drivers seat. I would just put a towel on the seat when washing and I was good to go.

Go with the Z51 roadster.

You shouldn't be driving your vettes in the rain anyway.
So, BoeingMan - apparently you are NOT from Seattle!:chuckle

I forgot to mention - I have been assured that the squeak in my top will go away once I have it adjusted. But by then it will probably be summer and a moot point.

:Steer

So, BoeingMan - apparently you are NOT from Seattle!:chuckle

I forgot to mention - I have been assured that the squeak in my top will go away once I have it adjusted. But by then it will probably be summer and a moot point.

:Steer

Rub some silicon lubricant on the weather trim all around your top area and all your squeeking problems will surely go away. Use the silcone paste/gel as opposed to the spray.

No charge for this free advice.:)

I've used every lubricant known to mankind (including your suggestions) to stop the squeak. It's coming from the frame of the top inside the headliner, not where it hits the weatherstripping. Since the driver's window when fully raised closes on the outside of the top (not inside), that's why I've been told it needs adjusting.

The little plastic piece (technical term!) that flips down when the top is up, on the driver's side in back of the door is broken too so it makes me wonder what the previous owner did.

I've used every lubricant known to mankind (including your suggestions) to stop the squeak. It's coming from the frame of the top inside the headliner, not where it hits the weatherstripping. Since the driver's window when fully raised closes on the outside of the top (not inside), that's why I've been told it needs adjusting.

The little plastic piece (technical term!) that flips down when the top is up, on the driver's side in back of the door is broken too so it makes me wonder what the previous owner did.

Oh sorry to hear

I think I am finally going to get a Corvette and stop just dreaming about it. I had thought orginally that I would get a C4 but my wife has said that I should get something newer.

LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE..........she's right ...AGAIN!!! :boogie :boogie :boogie

There are many reasons why you should upgrade to a C5, so I'll just mention ONE ...that BOTH of you will benefit from! The difference in ride quality!! My wife loves riding in our C5....it's smooth, quiet, and comfortable!

The C4's are hard to get in and out of....and the ride is really hard!!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the C4, as I love the "clamshell" opening hood..and I wish they could have somehow carried that over to the C5!

Good luck with your search!!
:beer :beer

I have an appointment on Monday to go and look at a '99 Torch Red/Light Oak convertible with 31k. It will be the first Corvette that I have actually looked at with the idea of buying. Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments. I will let you all know when I actually purchase my dream and I will include pictures. I might even be able to attend the Cruisefest this year, its only an hour or so from me. I can't say for sure because of all of the weekends this Summer that one may be triple booked. I would love to be able to see all of the Vettes at the Royal Gorge and have mine there too. I have to comment about this group in general, I was on another group for a different vehicle and they were the rudest and most self-centered individuals I have ever dealt with. This group, however is so supportive and helpful that I a proud to be part of it.

I have an appointment on Monday to go and look at a '99 Torch Red/Light Oak convertible with 31k. It will be the first Corvette that I have actually looked at with the idea of buying. Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments. I will let you all know when I actually purchase my dream and I will include pictures. I might even be able to attend the Cruisefest this year, its only an hour or so from me. I can't say for sure because of all of the weekends this Summer that one may be triple booked. I would love to be able to see all of the Vettes at the Royal Gorge and have mine there too. I have to comment about this group in general, I was on another group for a different vehicle and they were the rudest and most self-centered individuals I have ever dealt with. This group, however is so supportive and helpful that I a proud to be part of it.

Welcome to the family.

...and what are all these worms doing on the floor

SWEET! hope it turns out good enuf that you get it! Royal Gorge is AWESOME! I was there when I was stationed at Fort Carson in 1967. It ought to look MUCH better with your Vette there though. Good Luck!
Andy:pat
:w

Good luck on your test drive! I had 2 C4s, the first was an '87 vert that my wife loved, second was a '94 LT1 coupe which I preferred, but she (the Corvette...)got traded for my '02 coupe. The C5 is a WINNER! I really liked my C4s but the C5 is simply a much better car, dynamically.

Given that I ride motorcycles (only have 17 currently) a vert has never had much appeal for me. My wife loves them, but as the whole top lifts off the C5, quite easily, I don't see all that much difference. ......she, of course, does. However she does agree that my C5 is a better, more comfortable sports car than the C4s or the 4 Miatas we had.

If you buy a well maintained C5 whether coupe or vert you will have a very enjoyable high performance sports car. The only changes I've made to mine were to replace the o.e. (base suspension) shocks with Bilsteins and put new hi-po all season rubber(courtesy of the Tire Rack) on her. Now if all this #@%^$# snow would go away..........enjoy! DFO :)

I'd have to argue about the "rattles and storage" We do quite a bit of traveling in out vert. No rattles, a nice size trunk, and the enjoyment of top down driving!
Hackberry%20AZ.

.... This group, however is so supportive and helpful that I a proud to be part of it.

Good luck!! Keep us posted.

And we're glad you're here with us too. ;)

:w Jane Ann

Dirtfarmer, allow me to spoil the romance of those trips to drive "101" with the top down and the sea breezes ruffling ..... insert Don Henley lyrics here ... dark glasses on and that kind of good stuff.

The ocean does not have a smell. ;squint:

All the rotting and decay of the of the mixed orgainc material in the estuarial zones ..... that has a smell. :ugh

PS ... my "buddy" shared that tid bit with me during his first year as a college "Mr. Know it All".

:eyerole ...... now the pine trees .... :) ..... or doughnuts ...... :D

The ocean does not have a smell. ;squint:

All the rotting and decay of the of the mixed orgainc material in the estuarial zones ..... that has a smell. :ugh

Since you bring it up, the smell is actually a gas (dimethyl sulfide) produced by bacteria consuming organic material, usually decaying plankton and plants. The gas is what gives the ocean it's distinctive smell.

It's a lot easier and pleasant to say "the smell of the ocean" instead of "bacteria farts".

Next you'll tell me that the sky's not blue, grass isn't green and water isn't wet. :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom