Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opening A Can Of Worms

I currently own 3 convertibles.
Have you ever owned a convertible of any make or model? Convertibles are a different animal than coupes. Some people love convertibles and some people hate them. Do you have any friends or neighbors who own a convertible? If not, can you visit a local Corvette club? Ask a convertible owner to take you for a ride with the top up and down. I've owned over a dozen G.M. convertibles. I've also owned a couple of non-G.M. convertibles. My first convertible was a '68 GTO. Great car with loads of power. However, it was obnoxiously loud with the top up at highway speeds. All the convertibles I've owned were the same way. My C5 is the exception. The C5 is by far the most quiet convertible with the top up.

Squeaks, rattles and leaks:

In over 30 years of automobile ownership I have owned over 50 G.M. vehicles. Every single one, bar none, coups and convertibles alike, have squeaks, rattles and leaks.

Versatility:

You just can't beat a convertible. It takes about 30 seconds to transform my C5 from top up to top down. It's an absolutely exhilarating ride with the top down. As a bonus you still have plenty of trunk space.

At the end of the day, it's all about what you enjoy. What makes you happy. Get the car you want. Otherwise, afterwords, you'll just be kicking yourself saying "I wish I would've gotten the other car".

Don't be shy about asking Corvette owners for a ride. We love to take people for rides. And, once you do find the Corvette of your dreams, don't forget to "Save the Wave".

I drove the C5 yesterday, what a car! We ended up a little further apart on the price then I could justify at this point but I am going to keep looking and I will be getting a C5. I was very inpressed by the quietness of the car with the top up. The ride and handling is terrific, no wonder all of you love your cars so much. I don't know if they will come down a little more or not but I do know that this is the model that I want. I will keep you informed as go through the process.

You might want to check the archives about potential C5 problem areas: some years seem to have a bit more than others, IIRC. So far my '02 has had it's automatic temp control DISPLAY go out...typical, and expensive. Other than that...GR8 sports car!!! DFO :D

Verts

I am on my 8th convertble and my first Corvette vert. The only one that ever leaked was my 76 Eldorado. The corvette has a good top, seals well and I have had no problems so far. I have lots of friends that have C5 converts and they all say no problems with the tops.
My motto is (if it aint a ragtop, it's a parts car)

Convertibles seem to hold their value a little better which is good since they are usually more expensive at purchase.

For me, there's nothing better than driving around with the top down. You can smell the ocean and the pine trees and the donut shops as you cruise along with the sun shining down on you. That seems to add a lot to the experience for me. :lou

Of course if there's a lot of stinky stuff in your area then you might not want to be driving with the top down too often. ;)

Same here. I love my roadster and I have no rattles as mentioned above.:D

The convertible looks so badass with the top down!!! The only downsides I see is that IMHO they look so ugly with the top up (sorry, sorry, sorry), and yes you do get alot of road noise. Why don't they make an aftermarket hardtop for the c5?

Why don't they make an aftermarket hardtop for the c5?

They do. I'm sure someone with a memory can post the link to the company that makes removable hardtops for the 'verts. :confused

They do. I'm sure someone with a memory can post the link to the company that makes removable hardtops for the 'verts. :confused
And if I'm not mistaken, the lines of the hardtop look like the FRC, which also looks like the top of a Z06, which also looks like the lines of the convertible top. Actually, I like the looks of the convertible with the top up or down.

:) To each his own.
Jane Ann

J originally posted by JLPZ02 ...The only downsides I see is that IMHO they look so ugly with the top up... [/quote said:

Dude, you are so incredibly wrong. You have little to no taste. Your "sorry sorry sorry humble opinion" disclaimer will not save you. Off with your head.

J originally posted by JLPZ02 ...and yes you do get alot of road noise...[/quote said:
Wrong again. It would be more correct to say that you get a 'a little more road noise' than the coupe as you would with any convertible'.

...Why don't they make an aftermarket hardtop for the c5?...

Your batting 1000 JLPZ02. They in fact do make an aftermarket hardtop for the vert.

You have obviously never driven a C5 vette roadster long term to be able to qualilfy most of your statements.

Can someone please pick up all these worms up off the floor.

Yeah the vert looks good with the top down, and the resale value is better, and the C5 was designed as a vert first so they said they took care of how it handles (cowl shimmy and such) from the outset . . .but . . . (theres always a but, isn't there?)
The coupe has a lot more (about twice - 24.8 as opposed to 13.3 cu/ft) cargo space, good for taking trips. The coupe can go from hard top to targa in less the one minute (from wheels stop to butt back on the drivers seat), and while I haven't owned a convertible I have driven a few, the targa option gets you "pretty connected" with the outside world for the "wind in your hair" moments. And last, at least for me, is the killer line of that rear glass in the coupe. I swear, sometimes I can just stand there and stare at a C5 coupe from the side, its just a thing of beauty :). I like the vert with the top down, but don't personally care for the line with the top up.
But....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....so whatever makes your boat float.
Best thing about your situation is, you really cant make a bad choice....seriously....as long as you check it out and get a good one....you are gonna love whichever one you get ;-)
Best of luck....and post a pic on delivery.

The convertible looks so badass with the top down!!! The only downsides I see is that IMHO they look so ugly with the top up (sorry, sorry, sorry), and yes you do get alot of road noise. Why don't they make an aftermarket hardtop for the c5?

Dude, you are so incredibly wrong. You have little to no taste. Your "sorry sorry sorry humble opinion" disclaimer will not save you. Off with your head.

Wrong again. It would be more correct to say that you get a 'a little more road noise' than the coupe as you would with any convertible'.

Your batting 1000 JLPZ02. They in fact do make an aftermarket hardtop for the vert.

You have obviously never driven a C5 vette roadster long term to be able to qualilfy most of your statements.

Boeing Man,
Let's not be so harsh in our comebacks. Take a look at JLPZ02's join date and post count. He's been member here at CAC less than a year, and has fewer than a half dozen posts. There's no need to go pushing him away with three highly critical editorial posts in response to his one.

All he did was state an opinion and ask a question- isn't that what the CAC is here for?

-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom