Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Opinions on the Value of a 72 Stingray Coupe

pdhj1990

Corvette
1972 Steel City Grey Coupe
I own a 1972 Stingray, Coupe. The details/options are as follows:

· 350 with 4 Speed Manual Transmission (transmission and motor rebuilt to 330 horse - not original motor)
· Steel City Gray with Black Vinyl Interior
· Options Include PS, PB, PW, AC, AM FM cassette, Rally Wheels, Tilt/Tele
· Newer Paint, New Interior, Body Off Restored 2 1/2 Years ago - 10,500 miles since restoration
· New BF Goodrich tires
· Rebuilt steering column
· Lights and wiper doors work excellent
· Paint has a few bubbles on the rear deck and a few very small chips/cracks - overall the paint looks very, very good
· Interior light was not reinstalled when the car was restored

I purchased the car from Performance Plus Corvettes several months ago. Now with the challenges in the financial markets, I'm considering selling the car.

I've looked at multiple postings on the web. Most of the cars with these options and in this newer/restored condition are listed in the mid to high twenties. However, listing price is meaningless. And since I don't have knowledge of any 72 Stingrays that have sold recently, I'd appreciate a little guidance.

Thanks in advance for your opinions regarding the value of my 72 Stingray.

Paul

I'd like to come look at it if possible. :w

kopbet at cox dot net.

Bad time of the year to be selling right now. Can you post a pic or two?

I've looked at multiple postings on the web. Most of the cars with these options and in this newer/restored condition are listed in the mid to high twenties. However, listing price is meaningless. And since I don't have knowledge of any 72 Stingrays that have sold recently, I'd appreciate a little guidance.

Thanks in advance for your opinions regarding the value of my 72 Stingray.

Paul

I agree that listing price and sale price can be far apart, but how many of the cars you've seen listed on the web have the origianl motor? That can make a BIG difference in the price. When I bought my 69 coupe about 12 years ago it didn't have the original motor. Another, almost identical car (options, color, mileage, condition) with the original motor was for sale at the same time and that seller was asking $6,000 more.

As someone already suggested it's a bad time of year to be selling a corvette.
Money is also tight right now so you may be forced to take a lot less than what the car is really worth.
I don't know your financial situation but if you have other alternatives do yourself a favor and hang on to this car. Don't do something you're going to regret immediately after the sale.

Best of luck, I really hope everything works out for you.

-John

Thank You

I appreciate the feedback. Fortunately, I don't need to sell the car. However, if the financial markets continue to spiral downward, I might change my mind.

I also agree that the car would be worth more with the original motor. Yet, the motor that was installed in the car has 10:1 flat top pistons and a mild cam. I'm pretty sure it would out perform the stock motor. Additionally, it has less than 11,000 miles since it was rebuilt.

I'll post a few pics later this weekend. Thanks again for the feedback.

Paul

Paul ,I hate to say this and I would never want to offend anyone.The car is certainly worth money ,but not a lot.That said ,you'll probably be able to get all or most of your money back.

Best wishes no matter what you do. :blue:

I appreciate the feedback. Fortunately, I don't need to sell the car. However, if the financial markets continue to spiral downward, I might change my mind.

I also agree that the car would be worth more with the original motor. Yet, the motor that was installed in the car has 10:1 flat top pistons and a mild cam. I'm pretty sure it would out perform the stock motor. Additionally, it has less than 11,000 miles since it was rebuilt.

I'll post a few pics later this weekend. Thanks again for the feedback.

Paul

Unfortunately, the performance capabilities of a replacement motor and the miles on it have little to do with the value of the Corvete in which it's installed. I don't think anyone on this or any other forum would argue that a "blue flame six" will outperform a small block V8, but drop a 327 into a 53 Corvette and you've just halved the value of a $200,000 car.

Like it or not, much of the value of these cars depends on originality, not performance or drivability.

...you'll probably be able to get all or most of your money back....

I agree. Unless your car is now in worse shape than when you bought it or if you paid more than a reasonable price for the car, it should be worth what you paid for it.

:)

Since you don't need to sell the car, at least wait until early spring when the prices go back up. If you want a rough idea of the lowball price, see what Performance Plus Corvettes would pay to buy it back.

Unfortunately, the performance capabilities of a replacement motor and the miles on it have little to do with the value of the Corvete in which it's installed. I don't think anyone on this or any other forum would argue that a "blue flame six" will outperform a small block V8, but drop a 327 into a 53 Corvette and you've just halved the value of a $200,000 car.

Like it or not, much of the value of these cars depends on originality, not performance or drivability.
Absolutely. Originality will always fetch a higher $$$ amount.

Absolutely. Originality will always fetch a higher $$$ amount.
I don't think I agree 100% with that statement. I think it's 100% true if the buyer is only looking for a 100% original car. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that someone would pay more for a 1980 with an LG4 engine versus a comparable condition 1980 with an LS7 / 6spd conversion done to it. (It's an extreme example only to make my point about stating "always") :)

Simply put: A widget is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it! The value may be higher, but if someone isn't willing to pay that amount its really not worth that amount.

...I find it hard to believe that someone would pay more for a 1980 with an LG4 engine versus a comparable condition 1980 with an LS7 / 6spd conversion done to it. (It's an extreme example only to make my point about stating "always")...

I would. Always. I would want the LG4 for what it is -- the only Corvette available in California for the 1980 model year. I do not want any C3 with an LS7 or any other engine originating after 1982.

I am not taking issue with your post, only saying there are buyers who will (and do) pay more for original cars. I am one of them.

:)

I think the true corvette aficionado is going to take "original" over replacement more often than not depending on the car.

I think the true corvette aficionado is going to take "original" over replacement more often than not depending on the car.
I agree, plus the car may need paint and who knows what was done to the drive train. I'd rather have a worn out 100% original car to one that was worked on by others. I've had to fix many "rebuilt" corvette units over the years from boxes to differentials. Best example is the $1,600 dollar left rear bearing install the PO of my 75 paid his garage. I had to completely rebuild the rear arms after that hack wrecked them.
Good luck but as the others said, if you can keep it then you may be better off. I've looked at many C3's needing work and all were worth far less then the owners thought due to the parts and labor required to make them reliable again.

Please note that the undercarriage of this car looks great. The frame is clean and nicely painted. The brakes, suspension and drive train all look new and are in excellent working order. I doubt I'm going to experience a $1,600 repair bill as the previous post implied.

I'm new to this forum and really appreciate the feedback. I'll try and post a couple pics of the car this weekend.

Thanks again.

Paul

I ran a search of 72's. Most of what I found were being sold at corvette specialty shops so you can subtract a few thousands off of them over pricing them. Everything that I found 20K and above were original matching #'s. When they had the engine swapped they dropped into the lowto mid teens.

I think you will only get top dollar from a collector who will want it to be original. I wouldn't pay it for a swapped motor car. All you can do is list it and see if anyone is willing to pay it. It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Unfortunately, the reason that you are thinking of selling it might be the same reason it gets hard to sell. People are making fewer large purchases like this unless they can steal it from you because you need the money.

Drive it and enjoy it.

I remember my Corvette shopping experience. Some people think their cars are made of solid gold.

yeah but it was fun looking at all the different ones thinking each one might become yours.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom