Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original Callaway 1987 Twin Turbo Megaphones for sale

jessehere

Corvette
Original Callaway corvette 1987 Twin Turbo Megaphones. $750 shipped conus. The opening is just under 2.75 in height. They have two hollow support tubes inside (not visable in pictures.) Here are some pixs of the exhaust
thanks George

IMGP1350.jpg

IMGP1351.jpg

IMGP1352.jpg

I have had some interest in The megs from a few PMs and I will answer here for all to see. The Pipes where purchased from R Callaway these where evidently take offs from the very first tt cars.word was RC was repromanded if not fined for having this loud open exhaust and the later cars where subscquently changed to a muffler. the megaphone are stainless steel with a steel pipe. they are ready to pop on with the included original 2 bolts one on each unit. i spray painted the inside hi heat matt black rattle can. There is no stamping of callaway name that i see on the units. the sound is just unbelieveable. be it very loud when you get on it. the pipes themselves have very little miles on them and have been sitting in my attic for over 20 yrs. price is $750 shipped conus or BO. i used to put them on my 84 during firecracker season!
thanks for looking
George

here is a picture i found on the web of another 1987 megaphone system

pict5.jpg

vemp_0702_04_z+callaway_cars+b2K_1987_chevrolet_corvette.jpg

Gorge:

Are they too loud to permanently put on a B2-k? Are they easy to put on, like remove muffler and tail pipe with a loosened clamp/hangar and then clamp and bolt these on? I have heard the recorded sound but am not sure I would want it that loud all the time? What do you think?

Cp

George-

I just noticed that the seams are opposite...one seam is on top and one on bottom...I wonder why that is?

Cp

They sound great just as reeves intended LOL. They are loud especially in the winter warming up. When you get on it it is loud. at idle lovely rumble. I went through NJ state inspection one year. The next year they said no dice. I think they would be too loud for a daily driver but for a show car- sweet.
as far as the seam. I always wondered my self why. The megs install in very short order.

Does anyone have the story about the 1987 megaphones documented? I can't remember where I read the story.

found some info: from here Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette Timeline

On the performance side, the 1987 production version of the Callaway TwinTurbo B2K option provided 345 HP / 465 Ft. Lb of Torque, on a stock car with a top speed of 178 MPH, at a price of just over $50K. In those days, this brought the Corvette into the performance category of Ferarri and Lamborghini which cost in the range of $100-$175K.

For 1988, Callaway increased the stock performance of the Twin Turbo corvette, producing 382 HP / 586 Ft. Lbs Torque. The first 64 cars of the 1988 production were equipped with a reworked but uncertified dual exhaust which produced 420 HP / 606 Ft. Lbs. of torque. Callaway recalled all these cars because the exhaust system was not considered legal (and 7 of the cars declined the exhaust change that was required by the EPA.)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom