Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original Car Alarm

What have you done with your car alarm?

• Repaired original stock alarm

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • Left the alarm as is - non-functioning

Votes: 71 54.2%
  • Installed new alarm system

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Alarm? What alarm?

Votes: 16 12.2%

• Total voters
My 77 alarm works fine, after I found the fifth switch and got adjusted.

My factory alarm is still working, but have installed a disable feature myself. I have had the factory alarm go off all by itself, so I don't set it too often, especially at home at night, but the car can't be driven out cause the wife's car blocks it in.

'70 original alarm still works!

Early 1970 still works fine. Know more than one owner of these early('69-'72) c3s with the same story.
Greg

Orig. system still working. On my 80 all it dose is honk the horn, no engine kill. So if I ever see a silver 80 vette going down the road with the horn honking I'll know its mine and has been stolen.

My Factory Alarm works fine.
Everyone asks how do you open the trunk. Because the key is right in the middle in the back.
George

captin george said:
My Factory Alarm works fine.
Everyone asks how do you open the trunk. Because the key is right in the middle in the back.
George

Same here!:)
Never tried the alarm, but it looks like it's the key to the trunk, and I get a lot of people asking about it. Everything else works, so I assume the alarm does too.

If yours is like mine, it activates the horn like 8t8t2's.
I don't think it kills the engine, I never tried it.

alarm horn

Mine works ('72). The alarm horn is bad though. It honks faintly and only a few times.

After searching for quite some time I finally found a rebuilt one! Now I just have to install it.

I had to replace one jamb switch, and the lock in the back too. I didn't have the old key.

I use it sometimes. If i don't take the face of the stereo ( which is rare ). Or if I have the tops out.

Something is better than nothing, and the crooks probably won't expect it. :)

I'd hate to be trying to make a sneaky getaway in an electric blue 72 with a horn sounding... :)

-Gööney0

When I bought my vette, the previous owner had disconnected the alarm wires. I checked it out and someone had cut the connection into the alarm itself. I know that it is a worthless alarm even if it's working so I pulled the setup all except for the horn which will come out in a week or so. I've planned a 3 part system to put in this summer: 1. Kill switch, 2. fuel shut off, 3. aftermarket alarm.

Howdy
I have been reading through the alarm stuff...Can any one tell me where to get info to trouble shoot my alarm? 74 4 speed. I know it has juice it went off once when the wife opened the door.
Help!!!!

I have replaced the door switches over the years. I can't recall the last time I armed it. However, it worked the last time I did. My car lives in a secure locked garage and when out in public the car isn't out of my eyesight so i haven't seen the need to use it.

I repaired my factory alarm. Replaced a bad horn and all is well. Works like a champ.

Howdy
I have been reading through the alarm stuff...Can any one tell me where to get info to trouble shoot my alarm? 74 4 speed. I know it has juice it went off once when the wife opened the door.
Help!!!!

This is a typical diagram, it should be the same on your 74, PG.

Option #1 and #3 for me.

Best defence in my book is a hidden kill switch. No one really pays any attention to alarms do they.

Best defence in my book is a hidden kill switch. No one really pays any attention to alarms do they.

I have to agree with you. No one cares or even pays attention to car alarms. I had a kill switch in my 80 but I was having starting problems (the kill switch would decide when it wanted to not let me drive). I went to a local alarm place and got a Viper alarm system and kill switch put in for about $250. Now I have nothing to worry about. The alarm works great; It is obnoxiously loud and my car is now safe from thieves. :thumb

I agree kill switch. They will have a heck of time figuring out the problem. I have to reset my radio stations but I got it down to a science so why not disconnect it when I am parked somewhere?

I have the factory alarm and an aftermarket alarm with kill switch. :thumb

I put in new door switchs, key switch, and horn everything works great and of course I keep it in a locked garage. I set the alarm everytime I go to town. I just wanted to keep everything working.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom