Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please help

Timmy

I have a 1986 c4 after i shut it off when i start back up and drive it dies on me after a few minutes. Sometimes it starts back up. Other times it takes a while. Im not getting any codes.

Hi, I'm going to move your thread into the C4 Tech forum for greater exposure...

Timmy, Do you have the service manual? If not, well worth the investment. I picked mine up on e-Bay. Need more info... Is this a new issue? I would start out checking the TPS (throttle positioning sensor). You will need a VOM. Voltages need to be checked with engine off at idle and WOT? Plus a smooth voltage increase/decrease in between. I would also remove and clean the TB (throttle body), especially the back side. The TB has a IAC (Idle Air Control) valve which is critical to a smooth idle. Having the service manual will help you complete these procedures. I've worked on a few L98s where the idle quality was all messed up because someone decided to adjust the idle air speed screw thinking it was an idle speed adjustment screw. There is no idle speed adjustment on a L98 since the ECM controls this.

It is a new issue. I replaced the maf and its running fine so far but the maf i got is a little different. Doesnt have the fine wires in it so now i get a code 36.

No it has the screens. The oem had 3 very fine wires that were inside. Attatched to the center post. This one just has a post. But since there are no fine wires it doesnt do a burn off cycle. So i get code 36.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom