Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Post Your Old Solid Axle Photos

OK, old Solid Axle Photos, hmmm..

My 57 wasn't much older than 1 month here:

57new2.jpg

Then Webster had some fun:

57drag58.jpg

Registry of Corvette Race Cars

If anyone has old "race car" photos you can also submit them to the Registry of Corvette Race Cars. Some of you will have heard about this site; others...maybe not.

The site is attempting to document all corvettes that ever raced in a sanctioned series in the USA, Canada and Europe. This covers all the major road race series as well as drags.

Check it out at Registry of Corvette Race Cars

Wayne Ellwood
Corvette Articles and Photos
466 Ambleside Drive
London, ON. N6G 4W9
wayne.ellwood@rogers.com

Lucky Duck!

The real thing ... in the real year! My first taste!! My Dad's friend used to toss me the keys after a few martinis! So long!!!

Here are some interesting pictures. They are supposed to be 1953 tests.

A couple more.

U said a old picture. These pictures are over 47 years old

1962new.jpg

4104315c.jpg

Another ‘56 Corvette that preceded the SR2 Corvette

Another ‘56 Corvette that preceded the SR2 Corvette. This is a rare, one off. It was produced at two different GM facilities and the original owner, getting the royal treatment, actually took delivery at a third GM plant. This Special Corvette received press coverage around the world in the spring of 1956. Do you remember this one? Hint, check out the gas fill cap and special tank!

Tom, was the movie called Hot Rods To Hell?

I watched it a couple of months ago. Pretty funny. It wasn't supposed to be funny, but you know. It was so bad it was good. Kind of like watching " Trailer Park Boys." You couldn't not watch it.

Another ‘56 Corvette that preceded the SR2 Corvette. This is a rare, one off. It was produced at two different GM facilities and the original owner, getting the royal treatment, actually took delivery at a third GM plant. This Special Corvette received press coverage around the world in the spring of 1956. Do you remember this one? Hint, check out the gas fill cap and special tank!

Yup that 56 preceeded nearly all other 56 Corvettes!

Too bad Lars isn't around anymore. I've heard his family finally came to some agreement about (#41) it.

OK, specially prepared for Prince Bertil of Sweden.

Here are some interesting pictures. They are supposed to be 1953 tests.

Wow, Tom!

I've never seen rhd 53 Corvettes before!

Oh, the pictures are correct in your next post...

(See Leffingwells "Corvette; 50 Years" pg 94 for a chuckle!)

I take it that the photos were flipped in that book. I wonder how water tight these cars actually were.

The Prince Bertil '56 looks to have been modified from it's original form. The gas cap and rear vertical bumpers are the same but the grille was more rectangular and wider at the bottom and didn't protrude out like the SR2 style grille(pictured) . Also it originally had the '58 style deck lid spears (but they look thinner), exhaust ports through the sides of the quarter panels and stock '56 park lamps.

That is Mike Adams at Santa Barbara or Pomona

I really like that #77 racer. '56/'57s make the best looking vintage racers. Know anything about this one?

Joe Freitas identified as Mike Adams. Sorenson Chevrolet was in Wittier and Jim Simpson worked there. He was owner/ sponsor of Dave MacDonald's CORVETTE SPECIAL. I do not know Mike, but we are looking for him.

The 61 DAVE MacDonald Special was built by Dave MacDonald and a group of his friends. JIM SIMPSON actually built and owned the car. He was a salesman at Sorenson Chevrolet in Los Angeles. He convinenced the boss to let them make a mold off a new 61 Corvete (hence why I call it a 61). Nar Redder copied the body, and then left out the 17" area behind the seats where the gas tank and convertible top went, there by shorting the chassis wheel base to 160 inches from factory 176.6 inches.
Jim hired Max Balchowsky (from OLD YELLAR) to build his special chassis for the car. He told me it cost him $4500 for the chassis and labor to get a running setup ready for the custom body.
Max used one of his Old Yellar Mark IV chassis, and then he and Jim and MacDonald stuffed a new 1962 Corvette fuel injected 327 driveline into its engine bay.
In only 2.5 months they built the car. Weight was the key to this special, and the car came in a little over 1750 pounds vs. 3250 of a stock Corvette. The special body was built by Simpson, Jim Burell and Nate Reeder from FIBERGLASS AUTO BODY on Sunset Blvd, one of the first Corvette Body shops in the country.
An aluminum flywheel and use of a Studerbaker differential (later became a Chevy II), along with special Jardine header exhaust thru motorcycle reverse collectors that scavanged the exhaust and gave perfect back pressure for morepower out the corners. Use of Pontiac front and Buick Al-finned aluminum drums provided the brakes. The car went to Hawaii in late 62. We have been looking for it for 25 years.
The pictures show the SPECIAL at Pomona July 1962 with the front cover off. #2 Paul Reinhart, Jim Simpson and Joe Freitas at Monterey Historic 1992. We lost Jim in 2002, just 2 months before the 50 year celebration at Monterey. What a fun guy. He would keep you laughing all day. #3 Riverside March 1962.#4 "MOTORACING" news article of the Riveside race. MOTORACING was a bi-monthly newpaper about road racing across America from 1956 to 1965.

Some great pictures and history here. love this stuff.

Here's a photo I found last night.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom