Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Post Your Old Solid Axle Photos

Here's my 56 back in 1971:

YIr.jpg

Notice the slicks at the back. :cool

And here it is now:

YIP.jpg

That must turn some heads in euro-land .... wow! ..... :thumb

Wife's Norsk cousin wanted me to start an import business for Vettes some years back. Due to Norwegian law, he said we would have to damage them to bring down the value and then replace the damaged parts. By the time he was out of college, the market changed and we would have lost money.

Just the thought of breaking a windshield and smashing fenders .... I just couldn't do it ... ;shrug;shrug

The wide whites and Americans are a cool early '60s look. I like it.

This magnificent one off Corvette was designed by Giovanni Michellotti and built by Ghia Aigle, the Swiss affiliate of the famous Italian coach builder for (GM and) the 1957 Geneva Auto show in Geneva, Switzerland. This one off "Ghia Corvette" was constructed of aluminum and fitted with a black leather interior, color white, and equipped with Borrani wire wheels. Showing 3,800 kilometers on its odometer. The car was recently ( prior to 2002) discovered in Portugal and was purchased from the family of the original owner. The listed asking price in 2002 was $169,000. The Corvette appears to have the original 6 cylinder Chevrolet engine with a reported 4 speed transmission. Note the mileage indicated the metric speedometer conversion. Since the original 1954 frame and running gear was produced by GM in the United States and shipped to Switzerland, I considered this as another GM "export" show car used abroad.
We move forward from 2002 to 2007. Seven years passed and new information and new photos surfaced in mid 2009. From information obtained from two auction advertisements. It would appear the Corvette was in the United States in 2002. On March 3, 2002, an Internet ad appeared at the site of http/collectercartraderonline.com in which the Corvette was pictured and the asking price was $169,500. The car was offered for sale by Hyman LTD, 325 Paul Ave, St Louis, Mo. 63135. The color was listed as WHITE. I also have found auction results, on the Internet, that indicate that RM Auctions of Monterey, California sold this car at their auction during the sale of August 16-17, 2002. The sale sheet report indicates the 1954 Corvette Coupe Ghia Aigle sold for $62,701 U S dollars. The 1954 Corvette is now reported to be in the hands of a private collector and is stored away in Canada. The most recent pictures indicate the color has been changed to silver. I have pictures of the Corvette both in white (2002) and silver in 2006.

I knew thare were more early pictures out there.

Welcome to the CAC mashinter

Do you have any info on the FI on your car back in '60?

Thanks Tom.

The fuel injection system is my father's design. Here's the final timed, high pressure port system (on my '59). The next iteration was a direct-injection system. It was too expensive to produce, so never made production. He started a business restoring 300SL direct-injection systems.

Bill

BillMashinterMotor.jpg

Some really interesting posts today. Both the Ghia Aigle and the fuel injection are very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Tom

I don't think I posted this one yet.

Exportcorvette-silver vet

This picture is reported to be from the GM archives. Pictured is Chuck Jordan in 1955. Is the color SILVER ? Any comments or theory?

Car appears to be cover car on Feb 2010 issue of Corvette Enthusiast. Car has number of special features to include paint color, headlamps, and interior trim changes. Looks great to me, but I'm biased.

The 62 about 5-6 months old, home from U of M {Miami}

1962new.jpg

My '61

My first Corvette. Picture taken sometime in 1971.
Note: no front grille bar or license plate mount/bumperettes. 1963 wheel covers!

This is BOB BONDURANT'S 1957 race Corvette. Not sure who the gal is, but Bob probably remembers. He had a habit of knowing 'all' the gals at the races.
The car was originally raced by Jerry Austin here in Southern California. Today, Mick Sweezy owns and vintage races the car. One of the very rare 684 heavy duty brake, suspension cars made.

This is BOB BONDURANT'S 1957 race Corvette. Not sure who the gal is, but Bob probably remembers. He had a habit of knowing 'all' the gals at the races.
The car was originally raced by Jerry Austin here in Southern California. Today, Mick Sweezy owns and vintage races the car. One of the very rare 684 heavy duty brake, suspension cars made.

Well, isn't this typical! A beautiful gal ... and three guys wearing silly hats fussing with the car instead. I assume the fourth fellow fell out of the helmet? Pan down ...

Oh, and thanks to all f you who pointed out that my '60 had an incorrect paint job - I've since had the entire cove painted white!

Great picture Jim. Did you notice that the silly hats are printed on her skirt also?

Here's two I shot at the NCRS Flint national convention in 1978.

C-1 picture

Here's a shot of my first Corvette a 59 which I bought back in 64. I sold it when Uncle Sam called me up in 65. The other pic isn't a C-1 but I think it's neat. The guy in the photo is a friend of my brothers who had a slight fender bender with his 65 back in 1966 or 67. This is a scan from the Newark News and shows him right after the hit saving his 8 track tapes.
Rich

It looks good with the '64 wheel covers. Your brother's friend is lucky that he didn't store his 8 tracks behind the seats.

Tom

Here's a shot of my first Corvette a 59 which I bought back in 64.

I'm jealous. Your '59 looked a whole lot better than my first Corvette, also a '59. I bought mine in the spring of '69:

59-3.jpg

The heart of the beast (note the Jardine Tri-Y headers):

59-4.jpg

Ya gotta love the "office" and the Rat Fink shifter.

59-5.jpg

Would you believe this POS would do the quarter in 13.9? (note how little superfluous fiberglass or chrome there was to slow it down).

Jim

Yours doesn't look bad. Most of that will buff right out !
I remember when I bought mine the seller wanted $1,300.00, I offered $1,000.00 and a week later he called and accepted. The car was pretty complete, 2 tops, 4 speed, 230 base motor but the interior looked like a grenade went off in it. I was eighteen and couldn't care less, I had a Vette. I sold it for $1,200.00 a year later when I went in the service and was sick untill I found my 62.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom