Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Powder coating calipers - Magnetic Red

vettenuts

Corvette
2002 Mag Red Convertible
Has anyone painted or powder coated their calipers with Mag Red or something close. Looking for information to do the same.

Problem with using regular spray paint (high temp, rustoleum, etc) is the paint is too porus and will eventually absorb all pad dust, dirt, oils, fluids, etc that the environment has to offer and after a while, they will not clean up nicely. You need to use epoxy or equivalent to get the non-porus coating that will shine and last forever.

Problem with powder coating is the application process is at around 350 deg F and you have to strip all parts and seals out of the caliper, the caliper then has to be chemically cleaned to remove any flammable brake fluids, etc. By the time this is all done, you could have purchased a brand new set of 4 each powder coated calipers for less money (~$400).

Solution - spend $75 and purchase 2 kits of epoxy paint from Mid-America. Yes, you are limited in colors but at least you can color the calipers and save the 'ol wallet. Mine are Torch Red to match my Torch Red car and the epoxy is holding up great.

SAVE THE WAVE

Ah yes, but I am going for that special effect, i.e., metallic powder coat that matches the car. Yes, it is more expensive, but that is also what will make it special in the end. Thanks for the input. Sure wish they made a Mag Red epoxy, it would save a lot in the end.

You can just use regular paint... especially if you want to make them match the car. I used rust oleum on my Vette, and they have help up exceptionally well. I have had no problems with anything absorbing into the paint. Keep in mind, you can always re-paint them if you want to in the future if they do get bad. I am sure you don't want to do thejob twice, but I doubt you will ever have to.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom