Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power steering issue

billyvette

Corvette
78 s/a paint with oyster leather l82 auto
First, everyone please have a great labor day weekend.:upthumbs

My steering on my 78 has started feeling like it has no power steering.
Plenty of fluid in the pump and no whinning sound like its low of fluid.

All steering components look to be of the 78 vintage, has my slave cylinder stopped functioning?

Thanks for the replies.:w

Harder to turn the wheel? Is the power streering cylinder leaking? There are a number of different issues that could be your problem.

Yes the steering wheel feels more like manual steering.
It is only seeping fluid, not really leaking large amounts.

It could be a couple of things.
The power steering pump could be bad, in whichcase it doesn't provide any pressure to the system.
Or your power steering valve could have blown an internal seal which would provide pressure to both sides of the assist cylinder at the same time.
Or the O-ring on the piston inside the steering assist cylinger is blown, which would just flow fluid past it and not do anything to assist the steering.

You can isolate the problem by loosening the fittings at the P.S. valve and checking for flow and pressure. Loosen, don't remove unless you like a mess.
One set of lines comes from the pump, and the other set goes to the cylinder. If there's no flow from the pump, then the pump is bad.
If the valve doesn't alternate pressure from one side of the cylinder to the other, the valve is bad.
If you have pressure that is flowing from the valve to the cylinder, but the cylinder isn't moving, then the O-ring on the piston in the cylinder is shot.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
As usual with a corvette, nothing is simple.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
As usual with a corvette, nothing is simple.
Yeah, but it's 30 year old. non-rocket science technology with 3 major components and 4 pressure lines. Not that bad at all.
If you do have a leaking cylinder, by all means replace it. It won't get any better with time, and if luck is on your side it will be the source of the problem. After that, you only have two more components to go.:)

Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and Conditioner!!!:upthumbsChange the fluid and add it!! It will FIX it in 50 miles or less!!!! Probly in less than 2 !!:upthumbs:cool

gmjunkie, you are saying that the lucas product will fix my problem without replacing any parts? that is pretty hard to believe, a mechanical fix in a bottle.

I know lucas has good products.

gmjunkie, you are saying that the lucas product will fix my problem without replacing any parts? that is pretty hard to believe, a mechanical fix in a bottle.

I know lucas has good products.
Yeah,Thats what I'm saying!!! Or at least 99% of the time!!! The valves and things are sticking in the system!!! Try it you will Like it!!! I'm myself not into Witches Potents,But whoever Brewed this stuff knew what they were doing!! So if it don't work your only out about $20. for fluid,Lucas and a couple hours time!!! If it dose work you saved about $400.00-$500.00-$600.00!!!:D:D:DDrain It, Flush It with Fresh Fluid, add 1 bottle and top it off with fluid!!Start it and turn Lock to Lock several times!! You will feel IMMEDIATE Results,and it just gets better from there!!!:upthumbs

Click!!

I've got the same problem with my 82, no leaks. I'll have to try the Lucas product, not much to loose if it doesn't work.

I've got the same problem with my 82, no leaks. I'll have to try the Lucas product, not much to loose if it doesn't work.
Actually Lucas will give you your $ back if it don't!!! Or at least they say they will,I don't know it's always fixed them!!:D:D:D :upthumbs

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Does autozone, napa, o'reilly's or advance auto carry this stuff?
These are the major parts stores in my area.

I know that Advance has it!!:upthumbs

Well???????? Did it work???????;shrug;shrug;shrug:confused

Yeah,Thats what I'm saying!!! Or at least 99% of the time!!! The valves and things are sticking in the system!!! Try it you will Like it!!! I'm myself not into Witches Potents,But whoever Brewed this stuff knew what they were doing!! So if it don't work your only out about $20. for fluid,Lucas and a couple hours time!!! If it dose work you saved about $400.00-$500.00-$600.00!!!:D:D:DDrain It, Flush It with Fresh Fluid, add 1 bottle and top it off with fluid!!Start it and turn Lock to Lock several times!! You will feel IMMEDIATE Results,and it just gets better from there!!!:upthumbs

Click!!
Mr. Junkie, I'm a fairly new Vette owner and having a slight PS problem. I want to try the Lucas. What is the best way to drain and then flush the power steering pump before using Lucas?
Thanks, :cool

Mr. Junkie, I'm a fairly new Vette owner and having a slight PS problem. I want to try the Lucas. What is the best way to drain and then flush the power steering pump before using Lucas?
Thanks, :cool
I'm not the GMjunkie, but I do play him on TV!:L

But the easiest way is to disconnect the lines at the cylinder with the front end on jackstands. Then push the wheels both directions side to side. That will push out the fluid from the cylinder. Then start the engine, and the system will pump the fluid out of the pump, control valve, and the lines. Putting some rubber hoses on the lines and directing them into a catch can is the best way to keep it from spraying all over the floor while you do this.
Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and pump it out again to purge the system with fresh fluid.

Then connect the lines back up to the cylinder, and turn the steering wheel back and forth with a full reservoir to refill the cylinder. You will have to keep adding fluid to the reservoir until all the air is purged out and the system is filled with new fluid.
:w

But the easiest way is to disconnect the lines at the cylinder with the front end on jackstands. Then push the wheels both directions side to side. That will push out the fluid from the cylinder. Then start the engine, and the system will pump the fluid out of the pump, control valve, and the lines. Putting some rubber hoses on the lines and directing them into a catch can is the best way to keep it from spraying all over the floor while you do this.
Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and pump it out again to purge the system with fresh fluid.

Then connect the lines back up to the cylinder, and turn the steering wheel back and forth with a full reservoir to refill the cylinder. You will have to keep adding fluid to the reservoir until all the air is purged out and the system is filled with new fluid.
:w
Great. Dosen't sound to bad. Is there anything that I should not do that may harm or burn up the Power Steering Pump or anything else?
Thanks, :w

Thats just because your prettier than me!!:boogie:boogie:boogie
I'm just checking in,I'm in Mississippi with Vett Boy at the moment getting ready to load building components on the truck in the morning and head back north!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
Thanks for covering for me Pete!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Great. Dosen't sound to bad. Is there anything that I should not do that may harm or burn up the Power Steering Pump or anything else?
I think Pete covered it!!:beer

Don't run the pump dry. It will start making noise when the reservoir empties, so shut it off then.

Don't turn the steering wheel without fluid in the system, especially if the tires are on the ground, it will overstress the steering assist valve.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom