Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

@#$% Punks!

AZMike

Corvette
2001 Mil. Yellow Convertible
Well, after 5 1/2 years, it finally happened - my Vette was the victim of vandalism. Luckily, they didn't destroy anything and didn't mess up the paint. They just swiped the Corvette emblems off the front and rear.

It really ****es me off that punks like this have to trash other people's property out of boredom or jealousy, or whatever. Called the Campus police (I work on a college campus) and filed a report. He even lifted a couple of prints, but I'm not expecting to hear from them.

So, a couple of questions:

1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]What is the best way to remove the remaining glue that held the emblems on?
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Where’s the best place to get replacement emblems? Since I have an excuse now, I can go with ones that are different from the stockers if anyone makes them.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Sucks to hear that Mike! A defenseless car too! :mad

They are now on my pipe list... :bash

The badges run over $30 each. I have used gmpartsdirect.com for the best price.

Glad they did not damage the paint.

To get rid of the remaining gue, I have used max strength Goof Off (does not hurt the paint) and 3M imperial hand glaze.

:bang

Very sorry to hear about the vandalism, but glad no other damage was done. That would make me hopping mad and ready to draw blood! Although it is unlikely, I hope that LE is able to get some lead to the perps.

:w Jane Ann

Sorry to hear about the theft. I also work on a college campus and am hesitant about bringing the Corvette to work for the same reason. I half expect to find dings and scratches in my truck every day after work (and that's in the faculty parking lot).

Look on the bright side, at least you drive a car with badges worth stealing. ;)

I haven't had anyone steal anything off my Silverado. :L

go to your local auto parts store that stocks body supplies (not autozone type but a local business) they will have the proper adheasive remover and the adhesive you need to replace them.

ToolGuy said:
Sucks to hear that Mike! A defenseless car too! :mad

They are now on my pipe list... :bash

The badges run over $30 each. I have used gmpartsdirect.com for the best price.

Glad they did not damage the paint.

To get rid of the remaining gue, I have used max strength Goof Off (does not hurt the paint) and 3M imperial hand glaze.

:bang

Thanks for the Advice - goof off is someting I always have on hand. Nice to know it won't damage the paint. I found a couple of used badges on E-bay pretty cheap, what's the best double sided tape to use? I was thinking of epoxying them on, but then I had visions of a totally trashed paint job the next time this happens!

bossvette said:
go to your local auto parts store that stocks body supplies (not autozone type but a local business) they will have the proper adheasive remover and the adhesive you need to replace them.

Just a friendly FYI, the 3M adhesive remover found at auto stores is the same as the clear high strength Goof Off found at The Home Depot... :beer

I used to buy the 3M stuff when I detailed cars and than compared the ingredients once. The clear type is the key...

AZMike said:
I found a couple of used badges on E-bay pretty cheap
Probably from some punks in a different part of the country! :L (I'm not making light of your situation. I'd be steamin' PO'ed too!) Although, not a bad idea for the next couple weeks or so, keep an eye on ebay and see if any sellers of emblems are local in your area...)

Evolution1980 said:
Probably from some punks in a different part of the country! :L (I'm not making light of your situation. I'd be steamin' PO'ed too!) Although, not a bad idea for the next couple weeks or so, keep an eye on ebay and see if any sellers of emblems are local in your area...)

This very same topic has come up with lots of my co-workers today. I hope I'm not buying MY emblems back :duh

Stealing emblems! GEEZ. Just doesn't seem like there would be that much profit in that ..?
I'd be watching ebay and hoping to catch the little *&!*ers.

Tammy

Sorry to hear about it, that sucks. One thought I had for why whoever might have took them, any possibility that there's some frat house or other group there doing a scavenger hunt with corvette emblems on the list?

Hope you find out who did it, but on the positive side, those will be reasonably easy to replace and there's no real damage to the car.

AZMike said:
Well, after 5 1/2 years, it finally happened - my Vette was the victim of vandalism. Luckily, they didn't destroy anything and didn't mess up the paint. They just swiped the Corvette emblems off the front and rear.

It really ****es me off that punks like this have to trash other people's property out of boredom or jealousy, or whatever. Called the Campus police (I work on a college campus) and filed a report. He even lifted a couple of prints, but I'm not expecting to hear from them.

Oh man, I hate hearing stories like this- especially on "Drive Your Corvette to Work Day." Mike, I feel for you, man. I am so sorry to hear this.

What campus do you work at? As an ASU graduate, if it turns out an ASU student did this, I personally would be devastated at how low the student body at my alma mater has sunk, to do something like this.

AZMike said:
So, a couple of questions:

1)What is the best way to remove the remaining glue that held the emblems on?
2)Where’s the best place to get replacement emblems? Since I have an excuse now, I can go with ones that are different from the stockers if anyone makes them.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

I think you've gotten lots of great advice on the replacement emblems. Regarding removing the glue, try a rubbing compound. It won't damage your finish, but once you get the glue residue off, you'll definately want to go over that area with some polish or wax.

Let us know if the investigation turns up any prosecute-able miscreants.

-Patrick

Doesn't Ariz have carry permit's???

I would have a Smith & Wesson sticker on my vette if l lived there!

"My vette is guarded by Smith & Wesson"

Has a nice ring doesn't it !!

Alan

kingman said:
I would have a Smith & Wesson sticker on my vette if l lived there! "My vette is guarded by Smith & Wesson" Has a nice ring doesn't it !!
Everything except the part about "having a sticker on my vette". :L

Sorry to hear about your emblems. I can remember when I lived in Germany, kids use to steal the mercedes emblem. Pop of the ring and use them as throwing star.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom