Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quadra jet carb leaks/ floods a ton of gas

kmacpher

Corvette
1981 Red
talk about flooding.
checked the pressure (just changed the fuel pump) about 5/6 psi as suggested everywhere (my gage only shows 0-100 so it looks less than 7.5 psi and about high side of 5psi.

Just finished the winter fixup last night and the new alum radiator sprung a leak. got a new one at Summit this morning.

it was running ok yesterday when the radiator started leaking and I was ready to spend the day driving, but then the gas started pouring out of the top of the carb down onto the heads, there are puddles of gas in the recess of the heads.

I just replaced the carburator with quadra jet, an old gmc one of my buddies had, electric choke everything matches up, because when I was changing the fuel filter, I cracked the fuel filter housing and wrecked the factory quadrajet. Yesterday the thing ran with no problems, then today the gas pours out everywhere.

What's a needle an point? I found a web site that said "Dirt stuck on tip of the needle & seat. " Clean the tip off carefully or replace the needle & seat . How does one do this? It this basically a carb rebuild? Do I break down and purchase a new quadrajet, or new holley? It's another $300 bucks that I cant spend right now.

I'm just looking forward to getting though another summer driving season till next winter & working on the power and breathing.

Thoughts and recommendations on the flooding the carb.

kmacpher said:
talk about flooding.
checked the pressure (just changed the fuel pump) about 5/6 psi as suggested everywhere (my gage only shows 0-100 so it looks less than 7.5 psi and about high side of 5psi.

Just finished the winter fixup last night and the new alum radiator sprung a leak. got a new one at Summit this morning.

it was running ok yesterday when the radiator started leaking and I was ready to spend the day driving, but then the gas started pouring out of the top of the carb down onto the heads, there are puddles of gas in the recess of the heads.

I just replaced the carburator with quadra jet, an old gmc one of my buddies had, electric choke everything matches up, because when I was changing the fuel filter, I cracked the fuel filter housing and wrecked the factory quadrajet. Yesterday the thing ran with no problems, then today the gas pours out everywhere.

What's a needle an point? I found a web site that said "Dirt stuck on tip of the needle & seat. " Clean the tip off carefully or replace the needle & seat . How does one do this? It this basically a carb rebuild? Do I break down and purchase a new quadrajet, or new holley? It's another $300 bucks that I cant spend right now.

I'm just looking forward to getting though another summer driving season till next winter & working on the power and breathing.

Thoughts and recommendations on the flooding the carb.
remove the fuel line from the carb,plug the line from the fuel pump and start the engine. run it till it stops and this will lower the float all the way and open the needle/seat. now take your air hose,set the pressure to about 10/15 PSI and blow in thru the fuel line fitting on the carb. this will blow any dirt from the needle and seat. recconnect the fuel and restart the engine and see what happens.

tried the hit with a hammer trick again.
this time seem to work. Back to normal carb problems.
onto new problems.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom