Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quadra-jet Connections-need help.

dshanks

Corvette
1971 4spd coupe - Charcoal Gray
Hi. Im currently working on the timing and vacuum, and I was wondering if I could get some assistance making all the correct connections to my new Quadrajet that I bought from Carburator Dr out of Canada...

The carb is not the same model at the one that came on my 71 4speed. It has an electric choke, and there are more vacuum ports than what mine had.

Ive tried to take detailed photos of the connections in question here.
these first 2 pics are of the front of the carb. I have labeled each port, there are 2 views with the same labelling.
view1.jpg

view5.jpg

Connection 1 is currently blocked off. Connection 2 is currently going to the PCV valve. Connection 4 is going to the Vacuum can (not sure exactly what it does) in the left fender.
I have been experimenting with connections 3 and 5 for use with the vacuum advance. I have a feeling this is what Ive read so many threads about "the big debate"?? But I really have no idea... :)
There is also a hose that you can see that goes from one fitting to another. The carb came like that and I haven't touched it. I figured it was there for a reason.

Also, can someone explain the different adjustment screws that can be seen on the bottom of the carb? I know the idle on the throttle arm, thats it...

Here is the fitting on the manifold, it goes to a splitter, then to the firewall and to the top fitting in the vacuum can. The fitting here on the back of the carb goes straight to the power brake booster.
view4.jpg

Here is the electrical connection that went to the carb before
view3.jpg

And heres the connection on the new carb
view2.jpg

As always, thanks for all your help! If you have questions let me know!

Derrick

Well, I might be able to help with some of the questions:
Here's a picture of the lines and where they go
CarbVacLines2.jpg

The screws you mentioned on the bottom of the carb are the idle mixture screws, located on each side of the carb. They are adjusted equally for a smooth idle. In most cases about 5 turns out from seating. One method is to adjust them out about 5 turns then with the engine WARM turn them in until the engine starts to run rough, then back them out slightly until it's smooth. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a much better method.
view5_1.jpg

The last view of the barbed fitting on the carb is for the electric choke thermostat. It needs to be hooked to a 12V source. If you don't have one picked out yet, the windshield wiper motor is a good one. It's easy to get at and it's only on when the ignition key is on.

Don't know what the connector is for, if it was on an electric choke before then one of the wires is 12V the other is most likely ground. If that's the case you could use that 12V source. Test it first with a volt meter to make sure it's the right voltage and is only on with the key.

Bill

bobs78 said:
There's are diagrams of the hose connection on Dr. Rebuild's site. Here's a link
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/SPARK-KITS.HTML I think this might help.

I can never seem to get the pictures to work, even after I "To View Images insertwww. into the URL in the above Address Bar and Go (not refresh)"

Anyone else have this problem?

Maymyvetteliveforevr said:
I can never seem to get the pictures to work, even after I "To View Images insertwww. into the URL in the above Address Bar and Go (not refresh)"

Anyone else have this problem?

No I never can either. I think he's got some ongoing battle with the software company he paid for that stuff and he refuses to change it. I was able to view things once on someone elses computer a couple of years ago.

I have some files on my website tech articles page that may help:
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page65/page65.html

about halfway down the page look for two called:
"C3 emissions vac hoses.pdf"
"Dr Rebuild emission diagram.pdf

The first file is the vacuum hose layout from my '78 AIM but even though your car is probably a different year (I didn't check your profile) it should be close enough to let work with.

Regarding the vacuum hose that runs to the vacuum advance cannister it was originally connected to a ported vacuum source on the carb (higher up on the carb body) because of emission requirements but you will get a better runiing car if you connect it instead to a full manifold vacuum source on the carb which would be located down towards the base of the carb (below the throttle plates) such as port #3 in your first picture.
Typical advantages to running the vacuum advance for the distributor off a full manifold vacuum source such as port #3 in your pic rather than a Ported or Timed vacuum source such as port #5 in your pic would be better idle characteristics, better throttle response, motor runs cooler, and better fuel economy.

hope this helps you a little bit.

dshanks said:
Here is the electrical connection that went to the carb before
view3.jpg

Derrick

There was no electrical connection of any kind to the carb on any '71 Corvette; that connector looks like it's for a '72-up alternator field. Any idea where those two wires go?

Bill75 said:
Well, I might be able to help with some of the questions:
Here's a picture of the lines and where they go
Bill

Thanks Bill, appreciate the time you took to get a response back to me.
Im still a bit confused because it looks like we have some differences in our carb. And I dont know enough about it to know what they mean.

bobs78 said:
There's are diagrams of the hose connection on Dr. Rebuild's site. Here's a link
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/SPARK-KITS.HTML I think this might help.

Hi there, thanks for the link. It doesnt seem to work for me either. Not sure why, maybe a plug-in error or something. Ill check back later, maybe they'd have addressed it...

JohnZ said:
There was no electrical connection of any kind to the carb on any '71 Corvette; that connector looks like it's for a '72-up alternator field. Any idea where those two wires go?

Hi John, I dug up this photo of the motor before the restoration. It has this electrical connection in the pic, looks like it has something to do with the spark advance??
Its attached to the carb but might not be a part of it??

view6copy.jpg

Bill75 said:
The screws you mentioned on the bottom of the carb are the idle mixture screws, located on each side of the carb. They are adjusted equally for a smooth idle.
Bill

The car already has a smooth idle and drives nice, the problem is that my secondaries aren't engaging at WOT.
Should I just leave these screws alone?

I don't have a 71 but, doesn't this control the fast idol? When the car is shut off, it drops the idol down so the car won't diesel and puff out the carb?

dshanks said:
Hi John, I dug up this photo of the motor before the restoration. It has this electrical connection in the pic, looks like it has something to do with the spark advance??
Its attached to the carb but might not be a part of it??

view6copy.jpg

Yup, that's the TCS solenoid - determines whether the distributor vacuum advance gets full manifold vacuum or "ported" vacuum. At normal operating temperature, the distributor only gets manifold vacuum in high gear; if the engine is overheating or at cold-start, it will also get manifold vacuum. Under any other conditions, it gets "ported" vacuum (no vacuum at idle). The sensor that determines the overheat or cold start condition is the one in the passenger side cylinder head.

Most people just bypass the TCS and connect the distributor vacuum advance unit to full manifold vacuum; car runs better, runs cooler, has better throttle response and fuel economy.

:beer

I don't want to hijack your post but does anyone have pictures of the carb and vacuum lines for a 1969 390 hp 427 with four speed and air. The engine has a two port fitting on the manifold behind the carb and no power brakes. The solenoids on the carb & manifold are missing. The AIR system is also missing. The assembly manual shows the dist vacuum line coming of of the manifold fitting, not the ported fitting on the carb. We have aquired alot of the parts but don't really know what we are missing. The car was worked on by Bubba and his mother and the wiring and vacuum lines are really messed up. Thanks. Bill

dshanks said:
The car already has a smooth idle and drives nice, the problem is that my secondaries aren't engaging at WOT.
Should I just leave these screws alone?

Yes, those screws have nothing to do with the secondaries. If it's idleing smooth and drives nice you can fine tune things like that later, the secondaries are more inportant to work on.

JohnZ said:
Yup, that's the TCS solenoid - determines whether the distributor vacuum advance gets full manifold vacuum or "ported" vacuum.

Great, thanks! do you know if one of those wires would be a suitable 12V source for the choke on the new carb? I dont have a volt meter, but I do have a continuity tester. Also, does anyone know where I'd get a female connector to fit that choke connection?

Any idea of what the two large fittings are on my carb (ports 1 and 2 in the photo).
They are both the same size so Im not sure if Ive got the right one connected to the PCV valve. Is this technically a vacuum line? Could it contribute to my missing secondaries?
What am I likely missing out on by having the other one blocked off?

Derrick

Bill75 said:
you can fine tune things like that later, the secondaries are more inportant to work on.

Thanks Bill, I agree. I need some secondaries. Ill figure out the small things after I burn some rubber...

I'm still not able to get any info on hooking up this carb. On the website that I bought it from, it outlines the quadrajet models by years. Anyone know which mine is so I can just go out and look for info on it? Right now I dont know where to look, all I know is that its a quadrajet...

Here are the different quadrajets
  • 1965-66 4MV, 4MC: hydraulic piston damped air valve; originally came with diaphragm-type fuel inlet valve - now upgraded with needle/seat type; 4MV (remote choke) used on Chevy starting with 1965 396; Buicks used the 4MC on Toronado in '65
  • 1967-1971 4MV, 4MC: vacuum break used to damp air valve instead of piston; fuel inlet thread is 7/8"-20 on most carbs
  • 1972-1979: 4MV carbs are used on cars until 1974; trucks until 1979; fuel inlet thread changed to 1"-20 in '72
  • 1975: M4MC carbs have different metering rods from 4MV and have a carb-mounted choke; used on passenger cars and some trucks from 75-up
  • 1975: M4ME electric choke carb used on Cadillac
  • 1980: E4ME computer controlled carb
  • 1985: M4MED electric choke carb with dual capacity pump solenoid used on Federal trucks and various Canadian vehicles
  • 1985: M4MEF with adjustable secondary air bleeds used on 454's with HD emissions, E4MED and E4MEF in California
  • 17088152: the last OEM Quadrajet number (an E4ME)

geovisit();
visit.gif
visit.gif
serv

Derrick,

What lines or hookups are you having problems with?

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom