Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question for those with clutches

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
I have a rattle that goes away as soon as I place my foot on the clutch pedal.
I do not have the two springs that go on the rod between the Z bar and the fork....is this the likely source of the rattle or is it more likely the throw-out bearing?

Also clutch action seems to bind a bit after driving/shifting several times...binding will come and go during a drive. Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks in advance.

MY 69 has a spring between the z-bar upper arm and the firewall. Also the rod from the z-bar to the throwout fork is pinned on each end- I don't know if they (GM) continued with the ends being pinned or not.

The binding could be the bushings in the ends of the z-bar are getting tired. Each end has a pair of nylon (?) bushings and a snap ring holding them in.

Have an assistant listen under the car, fire the motor push the clutch and see if the rattle comes from under the car out of the clutch housing or from under the hood where the clutch linkage comes though the fire wall or from under the dash.

The rattle could be the TO bearing...
Could be the "Z-bar" where the clutch push rods pivot or where the bar pivots on the block and the frame.
Could be the clutch pedal assy under the dash

...but you need to better ID the location of the noise.

Tim AT: Those are the springs I was asking about. My 81 has provisions for them...I broke one and never put the other back on. I put new bushings in a few years ago.

Hib: You are correct. I need to get under the car and check. Have an oil leak that I have been chasing for months now so I need to be under there for that anyways.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom