Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Questions about error codes and service select ride light

BGJ

Proud to Support the Corvette Action Center!
Corvette
1994 Red Coupe
Greetings,

I've been away for a while because I sold my 85 coupe, but I just bought a 1994 coupe w/ AT and code P (LT1) motor.

A trouble light is on and I believe it reads "Service Selective Ride Control." It does have the FX3 system.

When I tried pulling codes with my Actron scanner, none showed up, so I used the old paper-clip trick on pins 4 & 12. I came up with C12 and H72 for codes.

When I tried to clear them though (by pressing trip/odd and eng/met buttons, they wouldn't clear).

Does anybody have an idea what is going on?

IIRC correctly you will get a "service ride control" if you turn the ignition on & off 3 times without driving the car. That's one possibility.

Grounding #3 of the DLC will give you FX3 codes.

This info is from the 95 FSM for clearing FX3 codes.

To clear the system ground pin #3 of the DLC for 2 seconds & repeat the procedure twice for a total of 3 groundings.

Your Actron scanner does not support SRC diagnosis.

C12 means the diagnostic system being interrogated is working properly and no current codes are stored. H72 a history code but the number is not a Selective Ride Control code. It may be a code for another module. For example, if it's a powertrain code, it means at some time in the past there was a problem with the VSS.

You cannot clear SRC fault codes does using the trip/odd and eng/met buttons. The method cited by "Rabbit" is the proper way to do it.

More information on diagnosis and repair of SRC is in this article, here on the CAC
Corvette Action Center | Tech | C4 Corvette's Selective Ride Control - Six Steps for a King's Ride

I think '95 is the same as '94, but just in case, '94 complete sequences are here.

Page 1:

1687_48caaf978b31c.jpg

I think '95 is the same as '94, but just in case, '94 complete sequences are here.

Page 1:

1687_48caaf978b31c.jpg

I submit that your sig line is more truth than you can imagine.

That page in the 94 FSM refers to CCM diagnostics. Modules which fault data through the CCM are the CCM, ECM, ABS.TCS and DERM. SRC is not a module in CCM diagnostics and, thus, will not display codes on the IP. As suggested earlier, one can only get SRC codes with flash-code diagnostics.

In the interest of providing correct information to those seeking help, please, understand the system being discussed before you attempt to be an expert on its diagnosis.

Well, I went to a local shop to have the codes pulled with a GM Tech 2 scanner.

I have the codes written down in the garage, but I think it was code 31, 32 & 34. I think they indicate front left and right, and rear right has problems. I pulled the actuators and they both had cracked gears. The gears on top of the shock were cracked as well.

My question now is this: How do I fix the right rear actuator?

I read the FSM, and it says to drop the shock to get the actuator off, but how do I disconnect it from the wire inside the frame? Is there enough slack to pull it out of the frame to disconnect it? It is REALLY cramped by that rear shock.

I sprayed penetrant on the bolts and am going to leave it soak overnight before I try to remove the shock, so I was just wondering how this is going to work.

Any further advice from somebody who may have done this before?

Well, I went to a local shop to have the codes pulled with a GM Tech 2 scanner.

I have the codes written down in the garage, but I think it was code 31, 32 & 34. I think they indicate front left and right, and rear right has problems. I pulled the actuators and they both had cracked gears. The gears on top of the shock were cracked as well.

My question now is this: How do I fix the right rear actuator?

I read the FSM, and it says to drop the shock to get the actuator off, but how do I disconnect it from the wire inside the frame? Is there enough slack to pull it out of the frame to disconnect it? It is REALLY cramped by that rear shock.

I sprayed penetrant on the bolts and am going to leave it soak overnight before I try to remove the shock, so I was just wondering how this is going to work.

Any further advice from somebody who may have done this before?

From what I understand there is enough room to remove the connector, but the caution is not to let the electrical connector slide back into the frame. Possible you may never see it again? Mind you I've never done this. Got the info from the FSM.

Remove the shock, pull the harness along with it. There's enough wire inside the frame to get at the connector.

When removing and replacing the shock, don't let it hang by the wires.

Do not remove the upper shock mount from the shock.

When reinstalling the shock, support the suspension such that it doesn't drop below full rebound.

22ft/lbs for the top bolts. 61 ft/lb for the lower shock nuts.

Okay, I got the actuators out and shipped off to Captain Z CNC. I should have the rebuilt parts back very soon.

Anyway, when I put the actuator back on top of the shock, does it matter how it is postioned?

Does it self calibrate?

Hopefully I'll be back on the road by the end of the week!

Hib, read your article, good info.

I submit that your sig line is more truth than you can imagine.

That page in the 94 FSM refers to CCM diagnostics. Modules which fault data through the CCM are the CCM, ECM, ABS.TCS and DERM. SRC is not a module in CCM diagnostics and, thus, will not display codes on the IP. As suggested earlier, one can only get SRC codes with flash-code diagnostics.

In the interest of providing correct information to those seeking help, please, understand the system being discussed before you attempt to be an expert on its diagnosis.

Hib, your comments are not too caustic; lots of computers, many grounding pins. My '91, I used pins a and c, as you said, but cannot clear the code 33 by the "thrice grounding" technique. I assumed the key had to be on, but didn't make a diff. Service ride control message stays on, code 33 still in the SRC computer. Decided to ignore it.

I got the actuators back in and everything works!

I did clear the codes by crossing those two pins.

I did turn the ignition on/off three times to do it though. Joe Paco, I bet if you try again it will work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom