Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quick question/poll/survey

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Ok LT1 owners-
Your main pulley aka harmonic balancer....
Does it run completly true, or is there some wobble in it?
Has it always been this way?
Factory or replacement?

The reason....In the dealers quest to figure out why my belt keeps jumping, the replaced my hub and balancer. The old one ran true-dead solid. The new one does not. I was told by the ex-area service engineer that now works at the dealership, that this is normal. I am not buying it, hence this little survey.

Thanks.
Mike

Call the GM area REP

Explain it to him!

It should run true!

Vig!

interesting....

My 84 had the balancer go out on it and I replaced it. ever since then the pulley seems to wobble more than usual. I attribute that to a cheap balancer. Could be a bad pulley but I notice the balancer doesnt seem to be rotating true. I havent had the belt jump yet but I keep an eye on the belt integrety.

i had no problems

I replaced mine in on my 85 with 230K miles on it or so
and its true

I have been trying to reach the Area Rep, but I can not get through. There is a buffer layer, and the Rep will not call me.

The hub and balancer that were taken off ran perfectly true since they were machined. The difference between the 2 assemblies was 0.020" in stack height. (Hub and Balancer together)

I mentioned that they did not run true, and they said that is normal! This from the former Area Service Engineer. He said he was also an engineer on the vette Lt1.

I am not impressed so far.

-Mike

No mechanics out there know anything about corvettes

i have peopel tell me all the time they know this and that about corvettes, have worked on them for so many years or so

unless someone owns a corvette, and you see them driving it,,, then you can listen to them,, "this is the new rule i go with now"

i had a guy tell me he worked on from 70's to 02 vetts and he said there is no way you can get a corvette that is auto tranny to idle at 400 rpms in drive,, when the haynes manual states that its suppose to idle at that

My '93 didn't run true... of course, the belt jumped off a couple times upon start up... I have the feeling that they are really hard to get to run true, so chevy just tells you it is normal.

Call the GM MAIN office

Don't give up on this! This level of service is UNPROFESSIONAL @ best!

BS doesn't change a mechanical tolerance!

Vig!

I will let you know how it goes.
Oh yeah, the belt is still jumping....

I didn't even see this thread until now. :eek:

I had a friend in our local club that was having a problem throwing and eating the serpentine drive belt. After much head-scratching and parts replacing, he discovered a hairline crack in the air conditioning bracket. The crack was so miniscule that you could barely see it, yet it was the cause of the belt problem. Maybe you have a similar situation.

_ken :w

Ken has a good point

And my 88 as well had that same problem... but it did NOT throw belts.

Depending WERE the crack is.. and more important HOW long the crack is... and how long it has been cracked.. will affect the geometrey of the AC pulley line up.

But you are taking in the car for SERVICE...

And having PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE work on the car.

Now we have some very talented ( obssed )
people here @ CAC but in reality ( In a perfect world) the dealer SHOULD be able to at least work on the car ...better... faster than us.

However the opposite seems to be true ( on tough cases)

So by all means remove the serp belt and closely check the A/C compressor bracket.

Let us know how trick's go!

Vig!

I am going back today, and I will have them check the bracket again. (it has been checked at least twice before.)

I am running out of patience with this.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom