Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

R.I.P Vettie

Corvette
84 Z51 auto R.I.P. 89 black roadster SOLD
"Vettie" is the nickname my son gave the car long ago.

I went out to the garage, got in the car, started it up...all was running perfectly fine. Then out of nowhere *POOF* loud backfire under the hood. I saw the flash of flame when the backfire happened, and immediately pushed the car out of the garage. As soon as I got it into the driveway I saw that there was a large piece of cardboard still in the garage that was on fire, so grabbed the parking brake, threw it in park and ran into the garage and kicked the burning piece of cardboard out of the garage (which is why the car isn't farther away from the house...I had to go get that burning cardboard out of the garage). By the time Zach was able to run around the back of the house and turn the water hose on, and neighbors started running over with fire extinguishers...it was too late. One of the neighbors had called 911 even as I was pushing it out...meanwhile waiting for the trucks to arrive all I could do was sit and watch it burn.

Thankfully nobody was injured, there was no damage to the house (it'll stink for a few days), and the dogs and birds are fine. But damn, can this summer really get any worse. (laid off back in April)

vette on fire.jpgafter fire from phone.jpg

OMG Bill!!!

I'm so sorry to hear you've lost your C4!
But I'm thankful you, Zach and the house are okay!

Keep us in the loop and let us know when the FD determines what caused it. And give Zach some BIG hugs tonight.

I hope things get better for you soon.
Jane Ann

I hope the person who had time to take a picture helped out a little.

The pictures are really interesting, even if they are of a bad happening.
It's a good thing that you were able to get it out of the garage and into
the driveway while you could.......I would hate to think about what would
have happened if those pictures were taken with the car INSIDE!. I'm glad
that no one was hurt, and that the only damage to the house was the smell.
I'm sure that you will not be "Vettie-less" for long. Good luck with the car
as well as the job search!
Andy Anderson :w

WOW!

Glad you and the house are not hurt.

Burning fiberglass certainly does stink. Years back, a customer's Vette caught on fire and after it was put out the wrecker hauled it to my dad's shop. Being Sunday, the shop was closed but we put it inside just to protect it. Should have left it outside as Monday morning the whole place stunk. Took a couple of days to air the place out.

I hope the person who had time to take a picture helped out a little.

I took the pictures myself...at that point there was nothing anybody could do. All of the neighbors that were around did what they could, which really was not much of anything but call 911 while I was getting it out of the garage.

Tuna...yeah it really does stink. At first I considered trying to push it back into the garage so as not to be rushed by the HOA to get it out of there, but quickly realized that would NOT be a good idea!

Thanks everyone,

Bill

Damn..........

They say everything happens for a reason, sometimes I don't think we ever get to find out what the reason is though. I'm REALLY sorry to see this Bill, but as said, everyone is fine and the house is just a little stinky. You'll be back in a seat again, I've talked to you enough to know that.

Lou...yeah who knows when that will be. Job hunting around here has been a pretty futile effort.

Thanks again everyone. I'm off now to take Zach up to shoot a movie that he landed a part in.

Be back in about a week.

Bill

Bill this just stinks...and I'm talking figuratively here. When it rains, it pours. Hope that you are able to get things together, both the car and the job....

If you need anything let me know.

:w Bill,

Well I don't know exactly what to say about Vettie :eek

How rude, for her to pull a stunt like this... I mean let's be serious here... Vettie HAD the best owner and home of any 84 Corvette. I know all the time you two spent together and all that loving care you AND Zach gave her. AND for her to just go up in smoke is ... well I can't find words to express how :mad I am at Vettie for pulling something like this.. humph!

Keep your spirits up Bill, it's all part of life and yes bad things happen to NICE PEOPLE, why I don't have a clue, but there will be another job, another Corvette and better times coming :dance

Hang in there GEEK and keep designing all that GEEK Stuff. I will never forget the ride in Vettie at one of the CruiseFests in Bowling Green and all them switches and computer chips in the console :eek OH and lets not forget Vettie Smoking the tires at the toll booths and hearing her bark like a mad dog when she shifted into 2nd :lou yea baby...

Enjoy your time away with Zach "The Movie Star" :dance

Bud

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I'm certain that things will get better, soon. When things are bad, it can only get better. It does'nt get "badder"....it gets better !

Sorry to hear your summer has been so miserable, Bill. Hopefully, things will go uphill from here! Any idea what caused the fire?

-Mac

Wow, sorry to hear this. Glad you and your home are ok. The Vette can be replace, maybe repaired but I don't know. Hopefully, you where insured. I am sure you are.

1 thing matters; flesh and blood.

After that, well, ya' know what Schrade says...

Life gives you fire, get a stick, and

Screenshot.jpg

Sorry to hear about your baby. That is the only reason I built a detached garage. Do you have any idea what started the fire?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom