Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rear axle ratio

regalniz

Corvette
94 Polo Green Convertible w/auto
ok. so i looked under my console and i see i have the performance axle ratio, G92. damned if i can find the actual ratio anywhere. my 91 was 3.07. is it the same?

Yep. ;)

It also appears as though 1994 was the first year to have the G92 option available without restriction.

_ken :w

so how do i find out the actual ratio since chevy offered so many in 94. i can remember seeing tags on GM rear ends with the ratio stamped on.

I just looked in Mike Antonick's new book Cor- Vette Specs 1984-1996 and discover that although there is only one option code listed (G92), there are actually four different axles ratios that were available in 1994:
  • 2.59:1 ratio: 17 pinion teeth, 44 ring gear teeth, 7.875" ring gear outside diameter.
  • 3.07:1 ratio: 14 pinion teeth, 43 ring gear teeth, 7.875" ring gear outside diameter.
  • 3.33:1 ratio: 12 pinion teeth, 38 ring gear teeth, 8.5" ring gear outside diameter (manual trans).
  • 3.45:1 ratio: 11 pinion teeth, 44 ring gear teeth, 8.5" ring gear outside diameter (manual trans and ZR-1)

Learn something new every day, except what codes go along with those ratios. :L

:L I think I just answered my own question.

You didn't state if it was auto or manual trans, so if it's an auto, you've got 3.07:1 ratio as the perforrmance axle. If it's a manual, you have the 3.33:1 or the 3.45:1 ratio. ;)

sorry. its an auto. thats what i needed to know. thanx dude. while i got your attention, i need headers. no shortys. i wanna keep it legal so they need to have all emissions (cough!) already in place.

Oh you'll get a lot of response to the header question alright; everybody's got one... A "preference" that is. ;)

Mine happens to be long tube headers, and the smog nazis be damned! :L

Shop around at places like Jeg's or Summit in addition to the usual "Corvette's only" places. You'll find something that suits your needs.

do headers do much when u have a auto tranny then for what it does for a stick

someone told me it does

plus i was told headers are only good for 350 hp plus

whats your guy's opionions(man i can't spell)

How in the world do I find out my gear ratio? I have a 88' 35th Anniversary coupe.

Thanks,

Edmond, you've been around here long enough to have seen us talking about the code list that can be found under the rear compartment lid or the console lid, and the also codes found on your build sheet or window sticker. Your code, if you have the performance axle ratio, would be found in one of those places. ;)

I found out my axle ratio by reading the options card on the inside cover of the console lid. Then I looked the code up in my GM shop manual. The manual has a chart to decode the options code. My 89 vert with auto has the standard 2:59's.

Radar :)

Regalniz

Shorty headers are really performance manifolds at best. If a 10 to 12 hp improvement is worth an over $300 investment to you that go for it.

Long tubes are the real deal, you can call the tech line of any large header manufacturer to verify (hooker, headman, SLP).

Good luck

Radar said:
I found out my axle ratio by reading the options card on the inside cover of the console lid. Then I looked the code up in my GM shop manual. The manual has a chart to decode the options code. My 89 vert with auto has the standard 2:59's.

Radar :)

My 6-speed '89 has a 3.54 rear end. Any '89 made before Feb has that rear, after that the standard was 3.33. If you wanted the 3.54 after Feb, you had to special order it--I had understood that more '89 cars have the 3.33.

The 3.54 is coded GH0.

Wnat is your car's birthday?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom