Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Rear Transmission Shaft Seal?

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
I have a transmission fluid leak were the front of the drive shaft is inserted at the rear of the transmission. I believe it is called rear transmission shaft seal? Is this correct and where can I get one? Also, how is it installed? The front of the vette is up in the air due to Top-End rebuild project. I have the AIM and the manual that I will look at later. Thanks...

If it just started leaking when you jacked the front of the car up AND your driveshaft is still in place, I would leave it alone, when you lower the front end it'll stop.

If you do need to change it you'll need a special puller to get it out, no big deal but you do need the tool. A new one is installed like a wheel bearing seal, you tap it in evenly.

Bill, it didn't start to leak until a few days ago but by that time the front end has been up in the air for weeks. Is it normal for this leak to happen? So, I shouldn't worry yet? don't pull the drive shaft and replace the seal? Where can I get the seal?

I wouldn't rush to judgement and change the seal if that's the case. My new trans seal on my Tremec dripped a little when I had the front end on jackstands and it never leaked before. As soon as I lowered the car it stopped and has never leaked again. You should be able to get the seal from GM or any auto parts place if you end up needing one.

Leave the driveshaft in place or you'll really have a leak with it up like that.

Thanks Bill. I hope it is that easy and I will wait as you had suggested.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom