Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

remote key fob??????????

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
I was thinking about picking up an extra remote on ebay, what do l have to look for and what about the programing. Can l do it or is it a dealer thing and if it is
what do they charge.

Alan

Alan, I suspect you'll get more responses here in C4 than on the Off Road Lounge. My understanding of key fobs is somewhat limited; C3's didn't have any such feature.

-Mac

There are different fobs for the coupe and the vert - the coupe has a hatch release button. If remote releasing the hatch is not an issue, either should work.

You can reset the fob-car connection yourself. There are instructions in the manual for this - you have to do it when you replace a battery in one also.

You might want to do a search here as there is probably a set of instructions posted here also.

I bought a remote for my 96 last year and do not recommend getting one. They are cool in the way they unlock the doors when you walk up to the car without hitting any buttons. But they are a pain when you are working around the car or getting gas, the doors keep locking and unlocking.

LT4John

kingman said:
I was thinking about picking up an extra remote on ebay, what do l have to look for and what about the programing. Can l do it or is it a dealer thing and if it is
what do they charge.

Alan

Your owners manual has the instructions; so it is FREE :)

When you buy one, make sure it still has the little plastic clip to hold the back on, they break off easily (mine did). it also has to be from a 1993-1996, and as said before, gotta be from the right type of car (coupe/convertible).

Mine has been sitting in a drawer somewhere for 6+ months. it is a great feature for a daily driver, but a real PITA while it is in the garage.

Vettelt193 said:
Your owners manual has the instructions; so it is FREE :)

When you buy one, make sure it still has the little plastic clip to hold the back on, they break off easily (mine did). it also has to be from a 1993-1996, and as said before, gotta be from the right type of car (coupe/convertible).

Mine has been sitting in a drawer somewhere for 6+ months. it is a great feature for a daily driver, but a real PITA while it is in the garage.

I totally agree with this. While at the Cruisefest that D*@# thing would lock "Beep", click (unlock), click "BEEP", click (unlock) and so on as I walked around cleaning the car, got to be a real PITA. Now I know there is a way to disable that feature but I couldn't get it to work. Mostly I just carry the second set of keys without the remote. If you get one don't pay too much for it as you will probably end up like mine hanging on the keyrack 95% of the time.

Not far from the truth!

I have only two keys and one key fob. I really do not like them but at least you know that the doors are locked when you walk away from your car.

Alan

I guess I'm in the minority on this issue. I've always been bad about locking my cars, the key fob locks and unlocks it for me, I think it's great. As for the constant locking and unlocking when working around the car, I just leave the keys in it when it's in the garage or when I'm working around it.

As soon as I ordered one from Corvette Central, Eckler's, MidAmerica Motorworks --- I forget which, I find out the Passive Key Remote is on back order. Months pass-like 8!!!!!!! And dang it, as soon as I purchased one from a member of the CAC, guess what? Yeah. Now I have two.
The supposed "manufacturer's replacement" PKE I ordered looks not-so-OEM. It works, but I use the brand new one I got from the CAC member.
Don't worry about the doors snicking from lock to unlock if you stay in close proximity to the car. Just DEACTIVATE the PKE until you're ready for the system to work again.
All that stuff's in your owner's manual. A set of instructions comes with the PKE if purchased new. It took me about 2 minutes to activate the new one. I even kept the innards of the old one because it was the casing that gave up the ghost. Try not drop your set of keys too much. That'll finish off the lousy key ring handle on the PKE.
Oh, and check the CAC's C4 parts for sale/wanted forum too.
:Steer

I believe the book says not to have two of them in the proximity of the vehicle at the same time. I bought an extra when I first got the car...still sitting around somewhere...never used it! I like the fact it locks and unlocks without user intervention. More cars should be like the vette!

I've got a question- what year did Chevrolet start using key fobs in the C4?

My 1990 does not have a key fob, and I'm thinking of adding some sort of after market alarm system as a result. Any suggestions on an alarm system that won't cause conflicts with the existing electrical system?

-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom