Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing Or Installing A C3 Fan Shroud

In other C3 forums I have read many posts over the years by owners who cut their fan shrouds into pieces to remove them and then asked the forum members why G.M could have been so stupid to make them so difficult to remove. Well, it's not the fault of G.M. but rather the fault of inexperienced owners not knowing what they're doing.

To remove or install a C3 fan shroud the HOOD HAS TO BE REMOVED FIRST and then once removed the radiator support has to be loosened and stood straight up and THEN the fan shroud will come right out. And it only takes one person to remove or install a C3 hood. The problem is most people are just too impatient to do mechanical work and then blame everyone else for their shortcomings. I highly recommend every C3 owner buy a Helms reprint of the original G.M. shop manual for their year of C3 and read how to do things FIRST before diving into the needed repairs.

easiest way shroud removal/install

In other C3 forums I have read many posts over the years by owners who cut their fan shrouds into pieces to remove them and then asked the forum members why G.M could have been so stupid to make them so difficult to remove. Well, it's not the fault of G.M. but rather the fault of inexperienced owners not knowing what they're doing.

To remove or install a C3 fan shroud the HOOD HAS TO BE REMOVED FIRST and then once removed the radiator support has to be loosened and stood straight up and THEN the fan shroud will come right out. And it only takes one person to remove or install a C3 hood. The problem is most people are just too impatient to do mechanical work and then blame everyone else for their shortcomings. I highly recommend every C3 owner buy a Helms reprint of the original G.M. shop manual for their year of C3 and read how to do things FIRST before diving into the needed repairs.

easiest way by far is to remove drivers upper control arm slide passenger side shroud into place then push drivers side forward into place at that point leave shroud loose while you install upper control arm then secure shroud, if you look at the one piece plastic shrouds for 79-82 c3s they are notched on the drivers side for this process.. it should be in the manual. this is far easier than trying to install rad and shroud together or moving core support

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom