Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement Springs

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
Anybody replaced front and rear springs lately? I am having some ride height issues on my 66 big block and the rear spring seems to have sagged. Looking for a vendor with a product that will retain stock ride height. Ecklers lists them - they sound good.

Steve

Steve,
I went with fiberglass on my 67 and it sat way high, then bought longer bolts which allows you to dial it down. The ride seems to be a little softer than what I was expecting but its ok as long as your not judging your car. I got it from Corvette Central.
Also rebuilt the 68 but used steel spring from Paragon and also needed longer bolts to get ride height close to normal and seems a little stiffer than the 67.
I've never changed front springs before but the 68 is due. Its got alot of give when I go over bumps and thats with new shocks too..
Good luck,
Jim

For the rear, the Eaton-Detroit 9-leaf reproduction spring is as close to the original as you're going to find; I've installed several, and have one on my '67. Rear ride height started out about 1-1/2" high, but settled to about 1/2" high after 100 miles.

www.eatonsprings.com

:beer

I recently bought an Eaton rear spring, took it apart and painted grey. I got an unpainted one as I was advised it takes almost 2 days to get the gunk Eaton applies off. Haven't installed it yet.

Rick

LeafSpring003.jpg

LeafSpring005.jpg

Replaced the front springs on my 1966 big block with a set of MOOG 5762 springs and got back my stock ride height. The springs are shorter than the old stock springs so they were easy to install. They cost $50 for the set from Amazon.com.

John Z - thanks for the reply on the rear spring. Eaton was recommended in the past so I will no doubt go with them. What about their front springs? They seem a lot pricer than some of the others, such as mentioned by orlandjoe.

Orlandjoe - I will check them out. Did you do a measurement from the ground to the body trim line above the front tire? I would be curious to see where you ended up.

Thanks again,

Steve

The distance from the ground to the lower fender lip is 25 1/2 inches. Here is a picture, you can see the top of the tire. My current Goodyear tire size is P215 65/15.

John Z - thanks for the reply on the rear spring. Eaton was recommended in the past so I will no doubt go with them. What about their front springs? They seem a lot pricer than some of the others, such as mentioned by orlandjoe.

I have no experience with Eaton's front springs, but they're all custom-wound from the original GM drawings.

Hey Steve,
I went with The Vette Brakes Products..(VBP) front springs when we did the frame off for the 502 install. Good company with a good "Tom DeWitts" Reputation.

Thanks for all the input. Better place the order or I may never get it back on the road.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom