Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement tires

JimVette

Corvette
1992 Red ZR1
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

My '92 Z-R1 still has the original tires on it that are half worn. I want to replace them with either BFG drag radials or Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. The current tires just spin in 1st and 2nd when I jump on it. I want the hook-up that the drag radials provide but don't know about how they will hold up at extended 100 plus. Any thought?
<!-- / message -->

For the drag radials to work properly, they will need some heat in them. MadMic here on the forum has cut some decent 60ft. time on D3's. You may want to look him up.

Brett

JimVette said:
My '92 Z-R1 still has the original tires on it that are half worn. I want to replace them with either BFG drag radials or Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. The current tires just spin in 1st and 2nd when I jump on it. I want the hook-up that the drag radials provide but don't know about how they will hold up at extended 100 plus. Any thought?
<!-- / message -->
Check here: Review: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tire

and here for another alternative:

Review: Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Tire

Your original tires are going on 13 years old and the compounds that made the tire work back when they were new have pretty much dried up and the tire will no longer hook up. I would not even consider driving the car hard or at speed with the old GS-C's that are now dry.

The tires that Rob pointed out, the GS-D3 and the F1 Supercar are great tires. One problem that will get worse over the years is that most of the tire companies will begin to drop the 315/35-17 tire as the volume of sales drops off.

Well that's all a moot point now. I ordered the GS-D3's. The problem is getting them here. Two had to come from Austin, Texas and the other two from Boise, Idaho. Very hard tires to find. I looked at Tire Rack and totaled all there cost against the Goodyear dealer in Pensacola and they were almost the same. I went with the dealer. Then if something goes wrong I can talk to a real person. Sending tires back for some defect is at your cost and that is almost doubled in shipping, co-workers personal experience.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom