Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing Alternator

HammerZR1

Corvette
1991 ZR-1 Red/Blk #473 (Sold 6/13)
Hello Folks,
We have a '91 Callaway TT that needs an alternator. Normally this would be a very easy task and it might be now also. There is a piece of anodized bracketing or something attached to the tensioner. Do you just take the pressure off the tensioner normally by roataing it clockwise with a 15 MM wrench (or breaker bar) or is there another procedure to do this? There is nothing in the standard service manual for a Callaway.

Thanks to anyone who may respond.

Check that other thread. Its a PITA job but can be done with a bit of sweat and a beer :beer

I found it a little more difficult than a standard C4 b/c the range of motion of the tensioner is cut down 1/2" by the pump. That 1/2" makes ALL the difference in ease of installation.

Luigi, thanks for locating that link :cool

I think when we did my alternator, we removed one of the support bolts on the AC compressor to allow a little more "tilt"

I hope this helps - :beer

Hello guys,
Thanks for all the advice. We got it changed, alternator showed bad. More to the story but won't go into it.
Thanks again.

Thanks for all the advice. Turned out the tensioner was not the biggest challenge in the project, getting clearance to remove the lower alternator bolt was. But we got it, and everything is back in running order.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom